“Overall very good experience”

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
Ranked #12 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights for a weekend family get-a-way. First the positives:
Excellent service oriented staff.
Clean, well kept facilities and pool.
Excellent breakfast buffet (balloon and face paint artist made it a fun experience).
Great bay & ocean view from room.
Convenient access to beach via shuttle - would not want to walk with kids and gear.

Cons:
Room is on the small side.
Sleeper sofa was in bad shape (Matt and frame problems) - fortunately the kids didn't seem to mind.

Overall very nice (as expected) Marriott experience.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank BusDriverJ
There are newer reviews for Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key

Reviewed February 19, 2014

After hellish air travel problems, we drove into a gorgeous sunset over the water and arrived at the hotel. The hotel was beautiful, people were incredibly helpful and pleasant. Dinner at the Watercolour was delicious. The pool was open until 10 and the kids had it all to themselves at 8pm with a waterfall! The rooms were quiet, spacious, clean, gorgeous views and pullout couches in the sitting room. We were given a complimentary breakfast buffet after hearing about our awful travel experience which was so so kind. We booked as a package with Busch Gardens and it still was able to count for Marriott points. Only request would be to fix the sliding doors to the bathrooms as they sometimes stick in their track and you get sort of stuck in the bathroom. We parked in the self park lot for free. Great experience! Great value! Very happy with our experience. The service and people made it all the more special.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Alastar C
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Dear Alastar C,

Thank you for such great feedback, it is sincerely appreciated.

All your comments are sincrely appreciated and we will be installing new sliding doors in all rooms this year as they sometimes are a little heavy. I am very pleased that we were able to make you forget your travel problems and you were able to relax at our hotel.

I hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights after our flight was canceled (thank you, flight insurance!), and it was fantastic. The building is a little older, but I would say well maintained and updated. The views anywhere on this coastline will wow you, and this one does too, even if it is on the bay side.
While the hotel feels 'fancy' it also was very welcoming to young children. My kids played in the pool and had a great time. On the down side,the wait staff at the poolside bar is very slack, it took forever to get a menu, let alone served.
As my title says, the breakfast buffet is super good: it included smoked salmon and croissants, as well as a great berry and yogurt selection, in addition to more traditional hot breakfast items. Great staff at the restaurant too.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Judy A

Dear Judy A,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay at our hotel.

We appreciate all your comments, positive and constructive alike. We strive to make every guest's stay an enjoyable one and it seems that with small exception at the pool we have done our job.

We appreciate you staying with us and hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

Spent 5nights at the hotel at beginning of Feb. unfortunately we had poor weather, mist came in and stayed all day. Hotel is great.restaurant is very good but on the pricy side. 2 other restaurants within walking distance and a great cafe for breakfasts.

Room Tip: All rooms have a good view
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank hotrod919

Dear Hotrod919,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay at our hotel. We appreciate you choosing our Marriott for your stay here on Clearwater Beach and I am delighted that you enjoyed your time.

We sincerely hope we get to welcome you back again soon and hopefully with a little nicer weather.

Reviewed February 13, 2014

My first visit to Clearwater Beach and sort of a mini vaca for the wife. To bad weather didn't cooperate, we really didn't have a chance to investigate the surroundings and beach, looked like it could be loads of fun in sunny warm conditions. The interior public areas seemed to have had a recent upgrade and were fresh and had a very modern look to them.
The exterior and rooms definitely are in need. This appears to be an older building and there are definite signs of wear while some mold was beginning to show inside the two rooms we had. The first had a wet carpet from a clogged toilet. We weren't advised of this and they actually gave us this room for the 1st nite. After the toilet almost overflowed the next morning we realized why the carpet was wet, called the front desk and a handyman came to investigate and asked if we would mind moving as the carpet would need drying. Not very happy about being given this room in the first place but there was also mold on the curtains and in the bathroom. We moved to the other end of the 8th floor and although a splendid view, as I would imagine from all rooms, it was of similar condition.
The front desk was for the most part cordial and our welcome warm. If you needed anything once in your room though you had to wait until the desk person was able to get to the phone as there didn't appear to be an operator and they were on occasion a bit curt in our view.
The dining was superb. We had two breakfasts and two dinners in the Watercolor restaurant. Mike, Diana and Rick were all friendly, efficient and professional. Rick busted his tail from the bar and could have used an extra set or two of arms. There was a wide variety to choose from both at breakfast as well as on the dinner menu and all was very good. We dined with a lady one evening who came there once a week for a steak, said to be the best on the island.
I really would like to go back to this particular location but I'll wait for the facelift on the rooms and next time definitely when it's warmer or at the very least....sunny!

Room Tip: I believe all rooms have not only a bay view but a Gulf view beings as they are suites but the highe...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Crkt
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Dear Crkt,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay at our hotel.

I apologize about the condition of the rooms and I would appreciate if you could let me know directly which rooms you were assigned, so I can investigate further on my end. Thank you for the positive comments about our staff in the restaurant.

Once again thank you for the review and we hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

This was our first trip to the Clearwater area. The general vicinity does seem a little "older" both in the hotels and the average age of the residents there, but it is Florida. I could see why folks love to retire to the area as it really is quite pretty.

This Marriott is not on the gulf side nor does it have a beach. However, it is on a bay and you do get some nice bay views. The rooms are a little older and my bed squeeked every single time I turned over so that got annoying. I also don't understand why hotels still aren't providing good pillows. Those little flat pillows do nothing for support and you spend the night trying to get some level of support & comfort. We didn't pay full price as we were on a group discount and honestly, I'm not sure how they would get full price based on the rooms being dated. I will say that having the suite style room was nice if you have a family sharing the room.

Anyway, aside from those items, the hotel seemed to be better maintained in the common areas and it was clean. They have a really nice pool area with a pool side bar. It was a little chilly for me to go in the pool but it was warm and kids were in there without being bothered. I will also note that the woman who was on waitress duty severely lacked customer service skills. She was sort of rude, looked miserable and wasn't very attentive. I actually had to go up to the bar and get my own drink after we asked for drink menu's after she never returned. She was at the bar eating her lunch. I will say that the rest of the staff were more than accommodating, friendly and welcoming!

There is a small strip mall directly next to the hotel which offered a few shops (mostly touristy type) and a few restaurants which gives enough selection if you're only there for a few days. Other than that, there's not much around and you'd have to drive or take the trolley up to the main area.

We were only there for 4 days but it was just enough for a nice getaway but again, not at full price.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank staishnjoe

Dear Staishnjoe,

Thank you for the time taken to review our hotel.

We appreciate all your observations and comments. I would really like to get some more information regarding your encounter with one of our associates at the pool. We take great pride in the service we provide and it seems there is additional training needed for some. I would appreciate if you could contact me at the below email address at your convenience.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights during Thanksgiving holidays. The weather was terrible. Cold and extremely windy. Too cold to walk on the beach. We did however have a wonderful time. We huddled by the tiki bar where it was fun to watch the daredevil kids jumping and swimming in the fabulous pool and waterfall. The drinks were terrific. We actually loved our room on the 7th floor. It was very clean and comfortable with extremely comfy king bed and of course wonderful view over the bay although we did not see any dolphins or sea lions. I think it was too cold! The small kitchen and sitting area was wonderful since my husband is an early riser and could have coffee and watch tv while I slept in. The best part of the trip was our visit every night to the bar where Rick knew our drinks, where exactly we lived, told funny jokes and kept us interested and entertained. Savannah, the restaurant manager was also terrific. I mentioned one night at the bar that I was craving a pizza. The next thing I knew she returned with a small, delicious pizza for me. It was above and beyond for service. We will definitely return and hope all the wonderful staff will be there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank elaine r

Dear Springem,

Thank you for the time taken to review our hotel.

We appreciate all the positive comments and thank you for mentioning some of our associates. We take great pride in the service we provide and I am glad that our staff made your stay a memorable one even though the weather was poor.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.