“Great Place to hold receptions and meetings!”

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
Ranked #10 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We recently planned a business party and meeting at this hotel and our expectations were truly exceeded! The staff was more than helpful in every aspect and helped to make sure everything was set up just right! The food we ordered for the meeting and party was delicious! The hotel itself is beautiful and all of the rooms have a scenic view. We had a great time!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
TPAMS, Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

Dear Nhalter,

Thank you for the time taken to review our hotel.

I am happy you truly enjoyed your stay at our property and it was our pleasure to serve you during your stay and meeting. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

My family and I have done several very nice cruises over the last few years; we've enjoyed all of them. This is the first time I've ever stayed at a hotel resort that looked and felt like we were at sea... just docked for a while :)

What a unique location and setting with just gorgeous views in every direction - either Gulf of Mexico or Clearwater Harbor. Whoever originally sited this project knew what they were doing. The hotel is on Sand Key, a narrow spit of land, just south of Clearwater Beach's main downtown, so most restaurants, attractions, and night life are literally minutes away.

Check-in was painless, professional and quick.

The hotel offers full automobile valet service, however, there's a convenient free parking lot (with night lighting) about 200 feet north of the main entrance, so we just used that during our trip.

Our party of four (mom, dad, 2 daughters) was assigned to room 615. Like most of the rooms in this hotel, it's a "mini-suite".

You enter into the living room area which has a sofa bed, arm chair, cocktail table, corner table with lamp, consul with wide screen HD TV, and a wet bar with decent fridge, microwave, coffee maker, ample storage and full sink. Next you enter into a short companionway between the living area and the bedroom. This has the entrance to the bathroom with toilet, sink, counter, and shower/tub and opposite is an adequate closet with two mirrored sliding doors.

Our bedroom had two double beds (reasonably comfy), a night stand and lamp in between, a desk with executive chair, and a dresser with another HD widescreen TV. there's a floor to ceiling sliding glass door leading to a small patio with a table and two chairs (big enough for coffee or drinks but you wouldn't want to try to dine here, unless it's sandwiches). Stunning full 180 degree view, north and south, of Clearwater Harbor.

Always a treat to watch the action out on the harbor; never a bad moment.

The changing light of day, the boats on the water, the seagulls, and the prevailing weather make for an amazing palette of sights. The view from these rooms is absolutely reminiscent of that from the balcony of a fine cruise ship.

The room decor is definitely "dated" and in need of refurbishment, but our housekeeper did a wonderful job of keeping our room fresh and tidy; she was an absolute delight and very dedicated to our comfort (Shirley, I believe). For us, we could put up with the dated decor in exchange for the fabulous view and location.

Biggest room annoyances: no towel racks for wet towels (don't know that there is any space to put one??) and an absolutely crappy mattress on the pull-out sofa bed. It's nothing more than lumpy springs wired together covered with mattress ticking. I was so annoyed I seriously considered buying a replacement mattress and donating it to the hotel. These are not expensive to acquire; I have no idea WHY they have not been replaced YEARS AGO.

The property has a lovely, modern Lobby area with an understated, casual feel to it.

Bob, the senior valet/bellman (he's been there 10 years) is very helpful, very knowledgeable, and seems to be a good go-to guy for any miscellaneous needs. There is also a very professional and helpful Concierge on duty during the days.

The Lobby has a special feature in the form of Lisa, a blue Macaw bird.

Lisa sits on a custom-built perch opposite the front desk and holds court with various visitors and guests. She doesn't speak much yet, but she's still young at 2 years or so. I always made a point of stopping by to say "hi" to her on my way in or out of the hotel. Best not to touch her; she appears generally friendly and curious about people, but has been known to bite on occasion. She is still being socialized...

Food and Beverage: The hotel has a formal bar and restaurant with very fine booze and award-winning steaks. The breakfast buffet is amazing, albeit pretty expensive. There is also a casual, thatched hut bar, Kokomos, and food service available by the pool. We used this several times and were very pleased. The marinated shrimp cocktail, grouper sandwich, and chicken caesar salad were particular stand-outs. There's a very polite and efficient middle age blonde waitress who cheerfully attended to our needs pool-side and who was always very helpful.

Amenities: The swimming pool is free-form with a rock waterfall; the temperature was perfect-no shock getting in. There's a nearby jacuzzi hot tub that seemed to be very popular all the time. There are some very generously sized cabanas around the pool that are available for rent. There are plenty of towels made available. There is an on-site rental facility for Sea-Doos and Wave-Runners, etc, but we didn't use them. Also, there is also a day spa in the complex, but we had no time for it.

One of the best features of this hotel, location-wise, is its adjacency to a small strip mall to the immediate south, which it shares a harbor-front boardwalk with.

There are several nice souvenir shops, a couple of men's and women's casual wear stores, a deli, a cafe, and two bar/restaurant locations.

The cafe, Maggie Mae's, serves a great breakfast (try their various versions of eggs Benedict) with generous portions and affordable prices; it's very popular with the locals. At the end of the boardwalk is Backwaters, a bar and restaurant with great food and a deck on the water. We ate there twice and enjoyed all of it. Be sure to try their fried calamari and dipping sauces... YUM!!

Although the hotel is across the street from the beach access, getting there is no problem.

Just ask the valet desk to shuttle you over in one of their golf carts. They leave you off at one of the widest and most white sand beaches I've ever seen. The beach is in front of the neighboring Sheraton hotel across Gulf Blvd.

There's a very friendly and accommodating guy out at the beach (Bill I think) who will rent you a beach cabana for $25 for the day; $20 for the half day (cash); it includes a couple of chaises and chairs. Well worth it; the cabana acts as an excellent wind-screen and allows you to feel warm in the sun even when the air temp is just in the high '60's or low '70's.

Internet Access: Hands down, the worst aspect (and most easily fixable) of this hotel is its crappy wireless internet service. Two tin cans and string... or smoke signals from the beach would have worked better - seriously.

The internet at this property is not particularly useful for someone who wants or needs to do business while on the road.

The wireless router is accessible most anywhere from the rooms to the Lobby to the Pool area, but there is little throughput of bandwidth. What's the point of gaining access if the speed is super slow and "cantankerous".

I've spent 65 nights in various hotels since September.... and this hotel's wireless internet is absolutely shameful and bespeaks of cheap owners or operators looking to scrimp somewhere.

I live in Spearfish, South Dakota (out in the remote Black Hills region); my bandwidth at home is 10 times that which I was receiving at this Marriott in a major Florida destination.

Further, I just sold a restored 100 year-old commercial property in Butte, MT where I provided 100 megabit wireless internet service to my seven (7) tenants.

And it wasn't my computer or the settings; I had the same issue here irrespective of whether I was using an iPhone, an iPad Air, or my MacBook Air laptop. And it wasn't time of day with "too many users sharing the connection"; I got up at 5 AM (when no one else was up) and it was still very bad.

Either this hotel's wireless IT needs an overhaul or they've screwed down the bandwidth to the point it's not very useful.

I suspect it's a running complaint, because when I brought it up to the Front Desk I got some polite, yet oblique non-responsive answer (along with an extremely telling slight eye roll).

Overall Summary: Besides its superior location, the major stand-out of this property is it's fine staff.... who ALL are very accommodating, polite, and friendly.

Special thanks to Onur, the Turkish-born Front Desk Manager (he's a gem and very refined) who helped me properly decipher, pronounce, and better understand some Turkish words I had read in Dan Brown's novel Inferno. Christopher, Onur's side-kick was very polite and helpful, as well.

Also, I'm an early riser and, Alba, the Honduran woman who runs the early shift at the Starbucks Coffee and Gift Shop (opens at 6:30 AM) just off the Lobby, ALWAYS made sure I got my coffee at the earliest possible moment... so completely thoughtful and considerate, because she knew I had already been up and working at the Lobby table for an hour or more prior to her opening up for business... and just pining for my first cup of java :)

Yes, we would definitely return for another family visit, but I will ask if they have fixed their internet access issue.

4  Thank SamKephart

Dear SamKephart,

Thank you for the time taken to write this amazingly thorough review.

We appreciate all the comments, good and constructive and will work on improving in the aspects that we did not impress you on. We are in process of upgrading our internet system and this problem should be remedied very soon.

Once again thank you for your review and also for mentions of some of our associates. We all hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We rented two rooms in December just before Christmas. Our rooms were outdated, had several maintenance issues, and were moldy smelling. The light bulbs needed to be replaced, the refrigerator did not work, there were not any plug-in's by the bed for medical equipment, and the faucets dripped. The rooms both just smelled musty and old.

The common areas were well maintained a beautiful. You get a view of the bay from your room balcony and a beautiful view of the ocean from just outside your room door if you are on a top floor, as a Platinum Elite member who stays in a lot of Marriott properties, I was really disappointed in this one.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room on the south end. The view is much better of the common areas and all the...
2  Thank Tamara F

Dear Tamara F,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay. I am sincerely sorry you did not enjoy your stay as much as we would wish.

Your feedback is extremely important to us and we appreciate your loyalty to the Marriott brand. We have taken your comments to heart and will work on improving our product so it can serve you better.

Once again, my sincerest apologies that you did not enjoy your stay thoroughly.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is a very nice hotel, with an excellent staff and fantastic service. Its an older property so there are some small issues like older style bathrooms/plumbing and small balconies, however the maintenance is great and they stay on top of everything and it shows. Just a bit smaller than a newer property might offer. I would say the room cost is well proportioned to the luxury they offer, which again is not a JW, but for a beach hotel in Clearwater is well worth it.

The suite over-all is a decent size with great closet and storage for longer family stays. It is also clear that they have invested a lot where they can to update. I also want to give a shout out to Onur. He booked our trip and arranged two connecting rooms with a wonderful view. It was everything he said it would be.

The lobby, pool, restaurant, and general facilities are all very nice and have been recently renovated. The rooms, while still older in footprint have been up dated with nice amenities and great beds, linens, towels and TV's. The pool is heated and well planned out and they are watchful for those pesky chair hoarders. You know the folks that leave a towel on 6 chairs at 8am just in case they want to sit by the pool. They are by no means fanatics, but they keep an eye out for the benefit of us all. The breakfast is FANTASTIC. It is a traditional Marriott Stuffett!

We also had dinner at Watercolors. It was great. Perhaps a little pricey given the lack of steakhouse ambiance however the food is top notch and the deserts were insane all supported by good service. I think for the price they need to train their team just a bit better on how to explain/sell the dishes which will make up for some ambiance, although this is a standard issue for Hotel steakhouses. On a side note, the lighter side menu is only light in the price as the portions were larger than many regular priced menus. My wife had the Scallops and salad ($20) and my son had a burger...roughly the size of his head For $9. it was too good to believe...and balanced out my steak and salad cost.

The location is very good. we prefer a hotel near everything but not in the middle of everything and this was just that. There is a great little boardwalk connected to the hotel and the strip mall next door, which houses several good food choices and a few nice shops to buy some beach wear or other. It also has a Jetski rental which was really great as well.

It would be nice to be right on the beach, however the bay has benefits and the hotel is just across the beach so all in all it is a great location and a great hotel worthy of the Marriott moniker!

Room Tip: Every room is the same layout with roughly similar views so short of floor choice you will be happy...
2  Thank mhunkster

Dear Mhunkster,

Thank you for your thorough review, we appreciate you taking the time out of your day to review our hotel.

I understand there are many choices of hotels here on the beach and we appreciate you choosing our hotel. I sincerely hope we get to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is our favorite place to stay in Clearwater. Note, it is not directly on the beach. We like that it is a bit away from the center of Clearwater Beach, but it is a quick couple of minutes drive into the main drag. Parking is free at the hotel. The pool is great. The rooms all have views of the intracoastal waterway. When the pool bar is busy, it is a great place to hang out. You can rent jet skis right on the resort. There's great walking and the Gulf is just across the street. The rooms are suites, meaning there is a living area with fridge, microwave, etc.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JenniferKevin

Dear JenniferKevin,

Thank you for your review.

We sincerely appreciate your patronage to our hotel and thank you for returning back to us. It is always an absolute pleasure to serve you and we are looking forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I've spent several nights at this property over the last few years. The staff are so friendly and able to assist with anything you need. The restaurant has the most delicious cinnamon buns in the morning and the staff made them fresh once they knew how much I enjoyed them. At breakfast, there is a variety of fruit and the restaurant has been recently renovated.
The rooms have a great set up with 2 tv's and 2 rooms. The beds are comfortable and I love having a bar fridge and microwave in the room. The shower in our room didn't seem to have much water pressure and the fixture needs replacing. The view from the balcony is beautiful.
We walked the beach across the road every day..it's perfect. The loungers by the pool are comfortable and the food from the tiki bar is tasty.
Last year there was champagne at check in and cookies and milk on the room mid afternoon. Although, I didn't see that during this trip, I will definitely return..it's a great spot and the staff are amazing!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Cocodp,

Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us again. We sincerely hope we get to welcome you back to our Marriott Suites again soon.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I spent five days at this hotel (attending a conference), and it was a wonderful place to spend time in December. The hotel is well designed and well maintained. It has a great restaurant. Staff is very helpful and friendly. Each room has a wonderful view and a small balcony from which to enjoy them. The beach on the Gulf side is a short walk away, but the hotel has a wonderful pool area of you'd rather spend your time in and near the water this way.

I definitely return to this facility if in the area again.

Room Tip: Always pick a room away from the elevator and ice machine.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank drfumblefinger

Dear Drfumblefinger,

Thank you for the time taken to review your stay with us.

I am pleased you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and we all hope we get to welcome you back again soon.