“We Recommend it!”

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
Ranked #12 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I'm sure some readers are put off a bit by the exterior room entrances and the distance from the beach. But we had a very pleasant experience here and will definitely return. Staff is top notch.
We loved the separate living area & sofa bed, the waterfalls in the pool that provided good back therapy, golf cart ride to the beach, and wonderful view of the Gulf. There are a few odd things, like the door frame rod to step over when going out to the balcony, that that wasn't a big deal for us. Walks at Sand Key Park have lots of shade! There was a little issue with the sound on our television and the technician came to our room literally within 2 minutes of our call. Great service. We have stayed at the Sheraton as well but prefer the Marriott.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jshceh

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We enjoyed this hotel with its proximity to the beach, the delicious breakfast buffet (only $5 for kids), the pool area with games for the kids, balloon person and face painter on site--the rooms were spacious and we had a great view of the pool area and bay. Great service. We recommend this hotel if you can get a good rate on it!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank familytraveler013
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Each year some friends of mine & I all meet down in Clearwater for a “girls getaway” vacation. This year we decided to try the Sand Key Marriot. Overall, we enjoyed the stay and the hotel was very nice. The staff was wonderful and very friendly. The rooms are a bit dated and could use a little revitalizing, however the beds were very comfy. The pool area is very nice and has a nice bar. The hotel also provides a little shuttle over to Sand Key Beach if you want to go to the beach instead of the pool. Sand Key beach is nice, but I would say that Clearwater beach with its powdery white sand and location to restaurants & bars is far superior. The Sand Key Marriot is on Sand Key & not directly on the Clearwater beach strip so you will want to have access to a car, or there is a little shuttle that can take you over to Clearwater beach. A Good Tip: there is a boardwalk that runs behind the Hotel (you can find it out by the pool) and that boardwalk will take you to a Dunkin Donuts, a liquor /convenience store & couple great places to eat. There great place for Happy Hour back there called BackWaters, happy hour beers were $1.50. Excellent breakfast place, Maggie May’s, we ate there almost every morning. Overall the stay at the Sand Key Marriot was wonderful and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you can get a room facing over the Bay, we saw Dolphins every morning.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank TripFantastic56
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have been visiting this property since it was built twenty-something years ago as a young child. When it changed hands and became a Marriott, they renovated the entire hotel (the lobby, every suite, the pool area, etc) and have been keeping up with renovations - every year there seems to be more positive changes. The best thing about the hotel is that every room is a two-room/one-bath suite and every room has a view of the pool and/or the bay. It the first hotel over the bridge from Clearwater Beach, so it is a beautiful walk to beaches and restaurants there. The hotel restaurant, Watercolor Steakhouse, is amazing...terrific food, a bit pricey, but definitely great for a special occasion. The property is connected to a boardwalk that is great for morning or evening strolls and has great restaurants and some shops. The pool area is exciting - two waterfalls and a large outdoor bar on the water. The burgers at the pool are great and the staff, especially Kimi, always go out of their way to make the guests happy. I will definitely be going back for the next 20+ years!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jenn31884
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We travel around the country to many hotels for training with our clients and this hotel is one of the best! I love the Marriott brand - it stands for something! The staff are very friendly and helpful. Being able to go sit out on the patio by the water, with music, good food. And this is work? The banquet service for our meetings was excellent - good food and service. The hotel is well kept up! Comfortable rooms. The only two points I would remark on are noisy fan in room bath and the restaurant is a bit on pricy side for our corporate budgets!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Annette J
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I needed to plan an event for 45 people for 2.5 days. This Marriott was outstanding. The front desk was very gracious handling requests from my out of town guests while juggling all the families on summer vacation. I needed some last minute help with audio visual and they had us wired and up in 5 minutes. My equipment broke, they fixed me up. Catering changes were not a problem, whatever we needed, they just took care of everything. Fran set my meeting up and helped plan everything. Tom and Pedro were seemingly always close by for extra seats, water or coffee. This wasn't my first event but I don't do enough to have total confidence or remember everything. Fran made me look good in front of my clients. They all had a great time. Our group will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jimvet1826
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My family and I stayed here during a week long vacation in Clearwater. We couldn't have been happier. Yes, the hotel is a bit older and could use some updating, but everything else about the place earns 5 stars. The location is great. It is a bit off teh main Clearwater beach drag, but you are short walk (or the hotel will shuttle you) over to Sand Key beach. We spent a fair amount of time there. It was less crowded than Clearwater and my kids (ages 3, 5, and 8) loved finding shells along the beach. Teh rooms are set up with a clear view of the bay (we could kind of see the ocean side). The bay view was enough. Every morning around 8 a pod of dolphins would swim by the hotel. My kids loved it. The pool is heated and set up very well. We spent some afternoons lounging around it. The pool is a bit deep (for kids) throughout, but there were enough shallow areas to keep them entertained. There is a "kiddie"pool as well, but this only about 1 foot deep and made for smaller children. My kids got bored pretty quickly with that. The best part of the hotel has to be the staff. I have been a Marriott Gold member for the past 10 years and am hard pressed to remember another Marriott where I was this impressed with the staff. They were incredibly friendly and helpful. This includes the front desk, concierge, restaurant, bell hops, and pool bar staff. All of them made you feel very welcome. It was all smiles. It really made a great trip that much more enjoyable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family