“Excellent service, great location & best steak in Tampa!”

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
Ranked #10 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Suites Clearwater Beach on Sand Key just before Christmas 2012. I was on a business trip (meetings in the hotel) and my wife came with me for some winter sun & shopping.

The hotel is situated on Sand Key which a thin strip of sand that runs along Clearwater, about 5 minutes walk from the hotel is a lovely beach looking out to the Gulf of Mexico, the hotel is situated on the other side of the sand key and the room balconies look back across the water to Clearwater.

We were met by very friendly staff on arrival from the door men to the check-in staff everything was friendly and efficient. Our room was a suite (which I think every room is at this hotel) it was spacious enough for 2 people. There are 2 large flat screen TVs, a wet bar area and a lounge sitting area. The room also has a balcony with 2 chairs and a table. The room was clean and in good repair.

Breakfast is normally a sore point for my wife - however here it was one of the best breakfasts she ever had at any hotel, which is saying something! The evening meal in the restaurant has to be the highlight of this hotel. Firstly the waiting staff are very highly trained and provide a very in depth description of the menu choices. The steak is claimed to be the best in Tampa - while we didn't get to eat in every steak house in Tampa I can say that the food at the Restaurant was excellent and a good reason to stay at this hotel.

The hotel has a lovely pool with a waterfall, the pool bar also serves food & again the staff and service here are excellent.

My wife and I would highly recommend staying at this hotel especially at the time of year we visited - it was very quiet and relaxing but just minutes from Clearwater and Tampa.

We would like to thank all of the staff who took care of us & made what could have been another bland business trip that bit more special.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank gman48
Write a ReviewReviews (1,896)

Reviewed December 12, 2012

marriot clearwater beach, fla. a must see and visit--upon arriving a mini-tour (not a sales pitch)--just enough information---great service and friendly greeting---all rooms overlook the water (no guessing game here) early checkin not a problem--rooms clean large--pool was fantastic with tiki-bar (kokomo's) they could not do enough for you--pleasent people everyware---hotel breakfast ---everyday with a small charge for upgrade---hotel dinning was right on---great steaks and a large menu---outside a small boradwalk with variety stores along the route---trolley cars for shopping and golf in other areas (no car necessary) maid service was good and timely---of course the weather was fantastic---cannot say enough you must see it for yourself

Room Tip: no guessing game all rooms face the water
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Vic D
Reviewed December 8, 2012

WOW. Im blown away that Tripadvisor led me to this hotel with its 4/5 rating. The lobby and employees are extremely nice, however thats where it ends. The minute we opened the door to our room, we were overwhelmed by the severly strong room spray/deodorizer/scent that was sprayed. It was burning both of our noses. We ended up leaving the sliding door open the entire day to air it out, but it still was just WAY too much. The red rug and furniture looked super old and outdated. You couldn't pay me to walk around barefoot or sit on that couch. I wish I would have just paid an extra $100 more for a real luxury resort and not had to worry. Eeeek will not be back! $200 is too much for this room.

Room Tip: Maids need to take it easy on the room spray!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rachellebrandon
AYSSandKey, General Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Dear Rachellebrandon,
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel.
We appreciate your positive remarks about the staff.
As far as the furniture we last renovated four years ago.
We updated our guest room furniture and added two large flat screen TV's per suite as well.
We adhere to high cleanliness standards and have addressed your concerns with our housekeeping TEAM.
Again, thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention.
Happy Holidays from all of us.

Philippe Eversdijk GM

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We have recently returned from an eleven night stay at Marriott Suites after having spent ten days in Orlando.We were totally blown away by the way we were treated by all of the staff. They really couldn't do enough for you and made us feel as if we were part of their family and not just guests. It started when we were met at the hotel entrance by Bob one of the valets, continued by Trinity the duty manager on the first day that we arrived and just got better each day. As far as we are concerned the staff at Marriott Suites have set a bench mark in customer care that it is difficult to see how it could be bettered. In particular we have to say a huge THANK YOU to Kimi, Alex, Savanngh, Jay at Kokomos, Bob, Hendra and Ed the valets, Trinity, Taylor, Stephen on the front desk. The cleaning supervisors Chris, Adrienne and all their brilliant staff, Rodney from the kitchens and all the staff in the hotel cafe and Phillippe the general manager. A hotel is only a building it's the people who work there that truly make it somewhere you want to stay. We would have no hesitation in going back again. If you're looking for somewhere to stay in Clearwater don't think of anywhere else you really can't get any better than this.
Thank you everyone for a truly memorable holiday and sorry to anyone we forgot to mention but we lost our list of people we wanted to mention during the trip home.
Adrian, Alison and Becky Wroe who stayed 15th to 26th November 2012. Happy holiday to you all.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Adrian W
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Just got back from Clearwater and the Mariott with my friend Nancy, and we were blown away at this Hotels Staff, Cleanliness and especially the Bartender Rick Williams. The Hotel was clean, the food was amazing, the front desk staff was friendly, made great suggestions, offered Mimosa's upon check-in, the Concierge, Paul was extremely knowledgeable and congenial, gave us some fantastic places to go see and they were exactly as he said they were. Thegreatest part of our stay was going down to the hotel bar to have a drink the first night we were there. I have never met a bartender that with all his being LOVED what he did, because the love of his job was spilling out of him !! He prepared exactly the kinds of drinks I loved but I didn't know I loved them until he made them and we tasted them. He had a great sense of humor, friendly always with a smile on his face and the patrons in the bar were feeling what we felt because we were chatting with them all. We are convinced that Rick is the "Shining Star" of the Marriot Suites Clearwater Beach and when I come back to visit, there is no hesitation in my mind to where I would stay AGAIN and AGAIN !!!! Marriot hit the gold mine with Rick coming on board. AMAZING, FANTASTIC and the BEST we've experienced !!! Hope to see him again late winter!!

Vicki and Nancy from "BOSTON"

Room Tip: All rooms appear to have a great view. Some of the bay, others overlooking the pool because of its...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vicki K
AYSSandKey, General Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Vicki K,
Thank you so much for taking the time and share your review.
I was delighted to see you enjoyed your stay and truly appreciate you highlighting Rick for making such a positive impression. I'll be sure to share the review with Rick and the rest of our TEAM. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

Philippe Eversdijk

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I chose this hotel after comparing rates and noting that we could get a suite at Marriott for the same price as a regular room across the street at the Sheraton (which is Beachfront). After a long day of travel which included flying and driving, we were greeted on arrival with a glass of chilled champagne. In fact, every time we went down to the lobby for something, the staff asked me if I'd like another glass of champagne. I felt very pampered. Although across the street from the Gulf of Mexico, this hotel was built so that all rooms have a beautiful view of the gulf as well as the intercoastal waterway. My daughter and I spent a lot of time looking at the beautiful birds circling the intercoastal waterway from our balcony. We had a microwave and small fridge in the room and a spacious balcony overlooking the pool/intercoastal. We were given free continental breakfast but for mere $5 dollars more, got the full breakfast which was very nice. We went over Thanksgiving and although the air temp was a bit chilly, the pool was nicely heated. There was a little bit of a walk to the beach, and we had to walk through the Sheraton parking lot, but I noted that the Sheraton did not have as nice a pool as Marriott and was really not as nice a hotel from the looks of the exterior. We enjoyed this hotel and its marvelous staff and did not want to leave!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with this hotel, all rooms have a good view :)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank zamorna621
AYSSandKey, General Manager at Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Zamorna621,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
It was a pleasure to read that you and your daughter enjoyed yourselves at our hotel.
Thank you for your compliments regarding our Staff. I am blessed working with such a great group of talented individuals! I'll be sure to share your feedback with them.
Happy Holidays from all of us.

Philippe Eversdijk - General Manager

Reviewed November 30, 2012

This is my favorite Marriott. I have stayed here several times and have never been disapointed. There are water views on both sides of the rooms. The ocean is a golf cart ride away, but it is great fun for the little ones. Also, they have an excellent pool area and activties for the kids.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family