“Loved the Marriott Sand Key!”

Clearwater Beach Marriott Suites on Sand Key
Ranked #15 of 96 Hotels in Clearwater
Chicago, Illinois
“Loved the Marriott Sand Key!”
Reviewed March 17, 2008

Spent several nights at the Marriott Sand Key in February and just loved it! Had a room on the 5th floor with a great view of the intercostal waterway and the gulf. The room itself was exceptionally clean and did not show any signs of age, looked very updated. The staff was fabulous, from checking in early as the room was available, to letting me have a late check-out because of a later flight time. Only complaint or draw-back is the pool area. It is a bit on the smaller size and the chairs seemed like they were literally on top of each other. Very little room in between each of them. Service seemed to be slow at the pool that weekend, maybe because it was President's Day Weekend, the hotel was booked full, and just not enough help. All-in-all, a great experience and would definitely go back next year. In fact, I have already made reservations!

• Liked — The beautiful views of the intercostal waterway and the gulf.
  • Disliked — The cramped quarters around the pool area.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed March 6, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights while at a business conference, and I enjoyed my stay overall.
Here are the things I really liked:
*each room has a balcony with an amazing view of Tampa Bay and the gorgeous pool area
*the room service and restaurants were all excellent and provided great service. I was craving dessert one night, and even though the restaurant was pretty much closed, they made me a creme brulee and brought it out to me in the lobby!
*room had a microwave and fridge, and a TV in both the bedroom and living room area.
*Service staff was very friendly and helpful.
*Lobby area is beautiful and they have a parrot!

Here are the things I did not like as much:
*Fitness center was disappointing - 2 treadmills and a bike that looked like they were from the 1980s, and a weight machine that didn't work. I ran on the beach instead.
*No internet in rooms or wireless anywhere in the hotel. Business center had 3 computers which were always being used during the business conference.
*When I first got to my room, there was a painter's mat on top of the bed covered with paint chips, and the ceiling looked like it had just had a hole repaired.
*There are few amenities on Sand Key, which isn't a reflection of the hotel itself, just the location.

• Liked — View from the room.
  • Disliked — Lack of amenities (internet, fitness center, etc)
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank angiebombshell
oakville ontario
Reviewed March 5, 2008

We actually left our booked hotel early and decided to finish our trip is luxury - and I am glad we did. This place is not cheap - $300/night but it is worth it. The room was very nice - the bedding very comfortable and the staff super. Everyone is here to help you and you really feel pampered here. THis is a great hotel for families. The pool keeps the kids occupied, there is a kids camp, play area and shuttle to the beach. The evening festivities were fantastic - a pirate cruise / luau / movies outside. We really enjoyed our days here. We will definately return.
Kids loved Lisa the Macaw as well.

• Liked — family oriented activities
  • Disliked — price -
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank canalgirl
Albany, NY
Reviewed March 2, 2008

We spent 3 days here mid-February & wanted to write about our positive experience. The staff is great, the rooms were clean and comfortable but the best part of our stay was the pool time. Our two girls (age 5 &10) had so much fun with the activites & my husband & I really enjoyed relaxing by the pool. My only complaint would be the bathroom was small & it was hard to have more than one person getting ready at the same time. We will be back again!

• Liked — pool area
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Provo, utah
Reviewed February 28, 2008

My wife and I had a fun stay for 3 nights. The outside of the hotel needs a makeover soon. The rooms are large but the bathroom is tiny. The walls are paper thin. You can hear traffic all night long. You can also hear people in other rooms. The pool area is great and the hot tub hit the spot. The views from your hotel room are great. You can see the ocean on one side of the room and the bay on the other side of the room. Each room has a private balcony over looking the bay and ocean. The staff were very helpful and were always willing to go out of their way for you. I think the hotel is a little expensive for what you get. I am not sure why they charge so much. This is not a 5 star property. Everything about the property is just average. I didn't think Sand Key beach was that great. The sand is very hard and full of shells. I suggest Caladesi Island and Fort De soto both had awesome beaches.

• Liked — The views from your room
  • Disliked — Tiny bathrooms
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blitz12
florida
Reviewed February 25, 2008

we have just returned from being guests with you for 6 days. Two adults, three children (ages 5 to 15) and we were thoroughly happy with the service that was provided. the rooms needed updating but the employees attitude made the rooms seem not quite as important.!
I would to personally name Ana (nightshift, weekends front desk clerk, Cory, pool side service attendent, Dereck, pool side service attendent, and all of the maids that we came into contact with!. The only person not deserving of the higher praise was, Chad. I believe he was a manager over the outdoor pool rec area. He wasn't very pleasent.
thank you so very much!
Jill Elliott

• Liked — the staff
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
Milton Keynes, England
Reviewed February 24, 2008

We stayed here once before when the hotel was a Radisson and we had a lovely time then with just a few problems. This time, after the refurb and name change to Marriott Suites we had a fabulous holiday and I would go back right now!

We travelled with our two kids aged 8 and 9 and after legging it around Disney and Universal for 2 weeks the peace and laid back pace of life of Sandkey was a welcome change! We stayed on the 9th floor and had the most amazing view, stopping me from sleeping at night many a time as I wanted to gaze into the distance.

The rooms are all suites and are spacious and comfortable with the most lovely beds, and the option of a sofa bed in the front room. There are also 2 tvs, a fridge and a coffee maker. The cleaners did a lovely job and even left us weather reports and turned down the beds for us.

The pool itself can get quite busy but we were always able to get sunbeds. The staff at the poolside couldn't be more attentive, always ready to bring more drinks/food etc. A special thank you to Kim who is fantastic and we hope to see her again soon. The kids club was great for a couple of hours of amusement for our kids. Also, there were regular pool side movies on a big screen in the evenings to entertain the young ones while we had a drink at the bar.

We had breakfast mainly in our room but the buffet in the restaurant downstairs was very tempting, albeit a bit expensive. Having said that, you would not have to eat again for a very long time! You could get a much cheaper breakfast from Maggie Mae's on the boardwalk or from Dunkin Donuts. We never had our evening meal in the hotel as there were enough restaurants on the boardwalk to keep us going and we did venture into Clearwater itself one night on the Jolley Trolley. We also had Pizza Hut which you could order by the pool. Some of my best memories are eating pizza while looking out over the intercoastal strip and spotting the odd dolphin.

When we wanted to get a bit closer to the dolphins we hired a jetski which was super fun. There are also dolphin boats which go from Clearwater itself and we have done this before but not this time.

The Reception staff were also extremely helpful and our children were more than happy to chat to Lisa the hotel parrot while we sorted out excursions and so on.

Tempted? Go! I wish I could go back and stay there forever!

• Liked — The view, friendly staff, etc, etc
  • Disliked — I had to go back to England