Extended Stay America - St. Petersburg - Carillon Park
Ranked #81 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Reviewed August 1, 2009

This was a bad idea! The hotel was completely run down, dirty and noisy. Not as nice as it was in 2007, when I had stayed there. Please, travel a couple of yards down the street on Ulmerton Rd. and you will find a ton of better deals than this roach-infested hell hole!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank DimitrEkmektsis

Reviewed April 24, 2009

I am still conflicted about my experience at the Homestead. The hotel was fine, but there are things I just don't like about the extended stay concept.

The hotel was clean and quiet. The room was small for a "suite", but okay for me because I was traveling solo. I think even with one other person the king bed studio would feel cramped.

I initially booked the hotel for $ 55. per nite with the thought of bidding on Priceline for an even better deal. I bid on Priceline and got the same hotel for $40. At that price, or even $55. I believe this hotel gives excellent value.

If you book this hotel go to the website and review what is not found in the room, like a hair dryer or shampoo. You also will not receive daily maid service unless you pay extra.
If you want clean towels or more soap or coffee you need to go to the office to get them.

I knew these things inadvance, but still had a hard time dealing with them.

Although I knew the policy in advance I was also bothered by the fact that the office is closed at night. I kept wondering what would happen if my card key did not work, remembering how often I have had to go to hotel offices in the past to get my card reprogrammed.

The bathroom was small with limited counter space, even for one person. The area around the bed was also small. There is no desk. The only place to work is at the kitchen counter sitting on a bar stool.

The kitchen was good sized, so for anyone intending on cooking this place would be great. I did get a faint whiff of bacon grease whenever I walked past the stove to the bathroom, which was a disadvantage of staying in a place where people have cooked.

Paper towels and dish soap would have been a nice touch. Dish soap is available in the office, but plan on bringing or buying paper towels if you plan on cooking.

I stayed in Room 361 on the back side of the back building. It was very quiet.

Ullmerton Road can get very busy during the day. The only place to walk is Panera. There is a big Publix grocery store across Ullmerton Rd at the first street to the east of the hotel.

Wireless internet is advertised at $4.99 per week. When I checked out I mentioned the charge becasue I had prepaid thru Priceline. The desk clerk, possibly manager, said don't worry about it. I don't know if that is the normal policy, or if he just did not want to do a bill for $4.99 since the rest of the charge was already paid.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank przyk
mgrmaf, Regional Director of Operations at Extended Stay America - St. Petersburg - Carillon Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2009

"I recently received a copy of your review of the Homestead St. Petersburg - Clearwater. Our company prides itself on excellent guest service, so it was gratifying to read your feedback about our staff. I would like to give you my most heartfelt apology regarding the part of your stay that was not satisfactory.

I do appreciate the opportunity to respond to your issue in a way that might be able to help future customers. It's very important to us that our guests know exactly what to expect when staying with us - a great room at an exceptional rate. In order for us to continue offering such value, we maintain fully staffed front desk hours between 7am and 11pm seven days a week. During other times, our overnight staff is always available to check in guests and assist with other issues.

Reviewed March 23, 2009

Very clean room with kitchenette supplied with cooking essentials. Staff very considerate and polite. At times parking was not available "at the door" but always found one near by. No problem. Would definitely stay again or at an associated hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AlbanyEllie
Reviewed February 2, 2009

The room smelled of bug spray, as did the the reception area. The smell was so overpowering, I had trouble falling asleep. There is no real lobby area; Just a reception desk in a small room. Dirty bathroom tiles.Tub was filthy. Outdated furnishings. I made the mistake of thinking I had stayed there before but I was thinking of the HomeWood Suites next door. (A far better hotel). The bed squeeked loudly when I sat on it and the mattress was old and stiff. No waste basket in room...which would explain the bug problem. I was glad to check out of this place. I should have known better when I was able to book a room so close to Superbowl weekend without a problem.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank stump123
mgrmaf, Regional Director of Operations at Extended Stay America - St. Petersburg - Carillon Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2009

I read with great concern about your recent experience with us. Let me start my reply by offering my sincerest apology that you weren’t satisfied with your stay and my sincerest thanks for bringing this matter to my attention.

Our hotel specializes in accommodating guests with clean, comfortable rooms and dependable service at an exceptional price. Although most of the feedback we receive validates our efforts, we understand where we have room to improve. Because you took the time to share your experience, we’ve identified an area where we can improve. Please be assured that the issues you have raised have been addressed and the appropriate action has been taken.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. I do hope you would give us the honor of being our guest again the next time you are in the Clearwater area.

Reviewed January 2, 2009

We enjoyed our stay at the Homestead Suites. The staff was extremely friendly and courteous. The room had everything we needed to make our stay a pleasant one. What was even great was that we were able to have our pet with us. It is at the top of our list of a place to stay on our next trip. A great big thanks to all.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luvchihuahuas
Reviewed December 23, 2008

I decided not to stay at Marriott Hotels anymore--my regulars for many, many years because of some political issues (money, backing, etc.) so I had to find new digs for when I travel for business. I blindly chose a motel only because it was nearby and it happened to be this one, the Homestead Suites. I didn't expect much, especially for the low price. First of all, the booking woman on the phone was outstanding. Very personable and sweet, really down home. It was arranged in a handful of minutes while I was driving and when I arrived there she was with a smile and the world's fastest key card. I checked out my room and was surprised to find that it was clean, neat, modern, had its own entrance, and mine happened to overlook a great pool. The location was great. The room was quiet. It had a kitchenette (which I hadn't planned to use but may in future bookings now that I'm aware of it) and I thought WHAT HAVE I BEEN PAYING ALL THIS MONEY TO THE MARRIOTT FOR ALL THOSE YEARS FOR? Honestly, this was every bit as nice and clean for ONE THIRD of the price. I'll be back---can't say enough good things, but I certainly did try.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank OrlandoSara
Reviewed November 26, 2008

This is a great place to stay. This hotel is in Clearwater, not too far after you come across the bridge on 275. Getting to Tampa is easy, as is all of Pinellas County.

Nice kitchen with 2 burner stove, microwave, coffee pot, toaster, full size fridge, dishes & silverware. Cute counter to sit at with room to eat, set up computer, etc. Bathroom has tub with shower and nice counter top to spread out stuff. Plenty of lighting everywhere and everything worked perfectly. Comfy bed. Closet has mirrored sliding doors. Very clean and quiet.

They do charge $4.99 per stay for the Internet, but for 3 nights, the rate was only $43.99 per night. Rate depends on how long you stay. It goes down the more nights you are there. Can't beat this rate anywhere. I have already booked another stay there.

There is a pool & it looked clean, but way too cold to swim when I was there. No ice machines as this is an extended stay type place. They do allow pets, but they try to put people with pets near each other all in one building, so they don't bother people without pets. Remember, you don't get daily maid service at these places, but I don't need it. If you need more towels, just take them to the front desk and trade them in. Trash cans are stashed under the stairways so you can take your own out if it piles up.

Panera was right next door and this is a good location, close to everything. Be sure to ask for the 1st floor, as there are no elevators. They have super weekend rates when you book for the upcoming weekend.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business