“It has both strengths and tradeoffs.”

Extended Stay America - St. Petersburg - Carillon Park
Ranked #75 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Marshfield, Massachusetts
“It has both strengths and tradeoffs.”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

When I travel for work I try to do it on the cheap by staying at no frills places (which I would most likely not use anyways.) Fancy lobbies, elaborate pools, turn down service, on pemesis restaurant, etc., I'll take advantage of if I'm on vacation with my wife. When it's work related and I'm traveling alone I want a place that has a kitchen, good water pressure in the shower, a clean room and a comfortable bed.

You get 3 out of 4 here.

It helps if you understand that this chain is owned by the Extended Stay America chain who have carved out a niche market. They are not trying to be a resort or destination hotel. Their market is people who are in town for an extended stay for work, or are between houses, or have a need for a long term place to stay. The parking lot is filled with pickup trucks with trade (plumbing, electrical, drywall) signs on them. In fact, these places rent out more often by the month then by the night.

I stayed at this particular place a few years ago and, honestly, not much has changed. My room has a queen size bed, one chair and ottoman that almost but don't quite match, a cathode TV with adequet picture. Nothing in this part of the room that is worth remembering. However, each room also has a full size fridge, microwave, two burner electric stove, pots, pans and dishes, a toaster, a coffee maker and free internet.

Those are the reasons to stay here.

Also, everyone one of the Extndd Sty Amrca, Crossland, and Homestead Suites that I have stayed at have had the best water pressure. Nothing like good water pressure hitting your back first thing in the morning.

This particular place could use an updating. It would be nice to see newer carpeting, a paint job, flat screen TV's, and, especially, softer beds. That is my only real gripe with this chain - the beds are like sleeping on a snare drum. Just putting a pillowtop covering on the existing mattress would bring this place up to "above average" IMHO.

The location of this Homestead is actually better then most. Many of it's sister properties are in seedy industrial areas or bland coporate parks. This place has a Panera bread within walking distance and a Publix supermarket across the street. Note that it is nowhere near the beaches, Busch Gardens, or any of the places that a vacationer would be interested in. But again, this place is not trying to be a destination hotel.

A special prop goes to Michelle, who greeted me when I first got here. She had just returned from helping another guest and was enthusiastic, helpful and seemed genuinly happy to see me. That means a lot in the hospitality industry.

If you're looking for a budget stay with a good kitchen then this place would fit the bill. If you're expecting a Marriot or Hilton I'm afraid you're going to be dissapointed.

Room Tip: The hotel has an outdoor pool which I did not use. Also, even though it's only two stories, it h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank R77556
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Petersburg - Carillon Park, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for providing feedback about your stay at our hotel. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your clean, comfortable room and that the staff was able to assist you, especially Michelle. We strive to provide our guests with a "home away from home" experience, so I am very happy to know that the in-room kitchen and free WiFi was useful to you.

Thank you again for your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 23, 2013

I stayed 4 weeks, until I could not take it anymore, so I moved to a different hotel chain. Each week when I returned to the room after the cleaning service neither the bathroom of kitchen were cleaned. Each time I had to request a second cleaning. The washer and dryer in the laundry room were almost always out of service. The refrigerator had rust in it. One corner of my room had so much water damage that the floor was starting to collapse. I lost my wallet and went to the office to let them know I was waiting for a new credit card to pay my next week’s charges. The bank at said it would take 4 – 5 days for aq new card to arrive.
The hotel manager “Chris” told me that if I did not pay right now; he would call the police and have me removed from the hotel. At that point I had been in the hotel for over a month and was scheduled to stay for almost two more months. So between the disrespect of the staff and the poor quality of the room, I would not suggest staying with at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Petersburg - Carillon Park, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I apologize that our housekeeping service did not meet your expectations, the washer/dryer were out of order for part of your stay and that you experienced some issues with the staff. First, in regards to your comments, I have spoken with our housekeeping staff and am coaching them on how to properly clean rooms, including giving a the team a checklist to use moving forward. Second, I am sorry to hear that you lost your wallet. While the staff member should have communicated this message to you in a better way, it is company policy to pay for a stay up-front. I will be speaking with our Front Desk Agents about how to handle these types of situations better in the future.

Please know, I am deeply saddened to know that you left our property for another. We would love to have another chance, show you our redoubled efforts, in the future.
Burke, Virginia
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Small but it has a workable kitchen and all you need to make a reasonably comfortable stay. The price was right and they seemed full and busy. The night manager was helpful and friendly
and it was a good place to stay for the night.

This is a commercial area and not really conducive to a relaxing stay at the beach as that is still miles away but it was an excellent bargain. Good eating places nearby if you don't intend to use the kitchen facility.

The TV remote was missing its back so I had to tape the batteries in. Just a small annoyance.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oak L
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Petersburg - Carillon Park, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to thank you for such great feedback. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate your viewpoints on the type of amenities we offer and the area we are located in. I feel, it will serve readers of our hotel's reviews, well. Thank you again for taking the time. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Stayed there for three weeks in Feb/March 2013.Great accommodations and very clean rooms. Staff are very accommodating.Easy access to beaches and shopping. A very quiet place to stay.Lonny and Carol Bailey,Sarnia Ontario,Canada.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Petersburg - Carillon Park, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I'm thrilled that you enjoyed our clean rooms and accommodating staff. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.
Dallas
Reviewed January 18, 2013

PROS: Beautiful swimming pool with privacy screen and comfortable chairs. The woman in the office was professional and helpful. Many places to eat within walking distance with Panera Bread right next door. A small store and lovely areas to walk are also very close. Quiet, comfortable sleep. Everything you need for your stay with lots of storage. Great location for my business needs in Tampa, St. Pete, Indian Rocks Beach, Largo, and Clearwater. Received an excellent discount price on Priceline for my 8-day stay.

CONS: The room was very clean except for dust under the television when I swiveled it, and some mold on the gasket around the refrigerator. Unable to turn bathroom light on without the fan in conjunction, which I hate. One young family thought it was cute when their daughter Ella wouldn't listen to them, and thought it was okay to yell across the parking lot at her, thinking it was okay to annoy numerous guests when trying to reason with a child too young to reason. Ella was not enchanted, nor were her parents.

Room Tip: Ask to be situated away from smoker's.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Petersburg - Carillon Park, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We appreciate your feedback and advice for incoming guests! Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon.
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Dear Sir/Madam,

My name is Gary bernstein and I have traveled all over the world..I can't tell you how impressed my dog and I are with all aspects of the hotel.

The hotel is convienent, clean and friendly..The staff from the top to bottom is great..

The manager Chris is very kind and patient and has gone out of his way to make me feel like I am at home..Tiffany has gone out of her way to make sure that Buddy and I are very comfortable on all levels..

The front desk with Janet, Michelle, David and others are always smiling and very helpful..The rest of the staff from maintenance to housekeeping are all very good at their jobs..

Any time I need any help of any kind someone is glad to lend a helping hand..

We plan on staying here and I have recommended this spot to others..

You should be very proud of this hotel staff..

Sincerely, Gary bernstein

Room Tip: I would recommend a king size bed and not facing the front
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Petersburg - Carillon Park, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property! I'm so pleased to hear that you and Buddy are enjoying your time with us. We love having you here and want to make sure that you know we are available to you for anything you may need. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to many more weeks with you, and of course, welcoming you back in the future!
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We went here a few weeks ago. Usually we go to the same hotel in clearwater but we wanted to try something different. Well, from my experience here, I will never try a different hotel again.

We got there and the lady seemed real nice. She even gave us a upgrade for a low price. She was a little too nice where she seemed like she was being fake. I didn't like that at all.

We went to our rooms with an open mind and as soon as we got in we just frowned. It looked like someone kicked the door, as there were marks all over it. We took two steps in and saw there were stains all over the carpet. And we went to lay down on our beds and there were stains on the comforter and sheets. That just said it all right there.

I will have to say the only good thing about this place was the water pressure. And that's it!

We cancelled our reservation and the guy who was up front (older guy) was nothing but rude. He was on the phone and wouldn't even acknowledge us. As soon as he did he said something to us and then went back to the phone call and we tried to reply and he said rudely, "I'm on the phone not talking to you right now."

I have never been treated like this and will never again. I give this place a 0.5 out of 10! The 0.5 is only because they had good water pressure. CONTINUE LOOKING FOR HOTELS!

• Stayed January 2013
mgrmaf, Manager at Extended Stay America - St. Petersburg - Carillon Park, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
I recently received a copy of your review for our hotel. We take great pride in offering a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price, . However, I was disappointed to read that you did not have a good stay. Please accept my most sincere apologies. If you could please contact me at Cberriman@extendedstay.com. I would like to send you a "Be Our Guest" coupon for a complimentary night, so that we can show you we are better than your last experience.