“Wasn't as good as first time”

Residence Inn Clearwater Downtown
Ranked #15 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I'm sure if you don't have a dog the rooms are better. The first room we were in was horrid. By that I mean they had impeded bugs in microwave and the furniture was badly scratched. When I went down and complained they changed the room the next day. If they charge the $100 per animal and I'm sure whoever did the damage of the furniture they paid a damage fee, don't you think it would have been replaced. Since my dog doesn't bark and doesn't shed it was hard for us to listen to the barking at 1:30 am. One lady had two dogs and she told me she doesn't have to stay on the second floor like we had to. They knew her because they were constantly speaking with her. I did complain about the barking. Thought maybe he (the dog) was left alone.

3  Thank pocopicketNewYork
Ericka C, General Manager at Residence Inn Clearwater Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

I wanted to take a moment and respond to your comments you posted. First I want to apologize that the rooms were not up to your expectations. This is unacceptable all our guests should enjoy and deserve to relax in a fresh room regardless if you’re traveling with your extended family. We work very hard updating and maintaining the appearance of the property especially with damaged goods. You are correct if we find a room that has endured damages we do indeed charge the registered guest checking out of that room. I remember your dog lovely animal I met him at the elevator very well behaved as you mention. Again I am truly sorry we did not meet your expectations and hope you would give us another chance if you are ever in the Clearwater area again.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed 5 nights at thins location. As expected from the chain. Pet friendly 3 floors and below. Had no problems from check in to check out. Staff was very knowledgeable and friendly. Internet was degraded when full from FRI - SUN so be aware of that. Other nights of the weekday there was no problem. Free breakfast and managers nights MON - WED. Was only 2.7 miles from Clearwater beach, which was a nice run from the hotel for you runners like me out there. No jacuzzi, but a nice pool and exercise room with good set of free weights 2 treadmills etc... I would stay here again but on a higher floor away from the laundry room. 2 days I worked from room and heard the giant washers spin cycle. But that is only during the days. No problems at night. Thanks for reading and as expected, video on my YouTube channel.

Pros:

- Breakfast
- Staff
- Location from Clearwater beach

Cons:

- No Jacuzzi
- Spin cycles in washing machines

RetiredArmyRANGER

Room Tip: Stay above the 3rd floor for a FLEA FREE Stay! :)
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank WHDSM
Ericka C, General Manager at Residence Inn Clearwater Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

I wanted to take a moment and respond to your nice comments you posted. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the property as well as the location. It is because of our guests like you that share their feedback with us help our case in getting things improved at the hotel. Our company is currently working on getting our internet upgraded so all our guests can enjoy the internet equally on any given night. Again thank you so much and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

For the 2nd time in one year, we spent a week in a beautiful suite (712). 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, nice furniture, extremely clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Great breakfast. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Wow thank you very much for your kind words. Our two bedroom suites are the gem of the hotel they sell very quickly they are ideal for families and long term guests. Thank you so much and we hope to see you next year.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I've stayed here several times. The young people working the desk are extremely helpful. The rooms are well maintained and very comfortable. The breakfast is one of the best I've had at this type of hotel. They seem to work very hard to make it so, and it shows. We had to check out at 4am and the young lady behind the desk made a pot of coffee to get us on our way. We really appreciate service like that. Thanks.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you so much, I am very proud of the team we have here they truly know what customer service is all about. Thank you again for your comments I will be sharing them with my team. Please consider us if you are ever in the Clearwater area again.

Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Booked this room last minute while visiting Clearwater Beach. All the hotels on the beach that were even somewhat nice were charging over $200 a night. Got this room for $99 and it was less than a 10 minute drive to the beach. The rooms were extremely clean and updated. The full kitchen was beautiful and the bathroom was large and spacious. Next time I'm in Clearwater I will stay here again. The value can't be beat! The front desk staff was also very friendly!

• Stayed: January 2013
Ericka C, General Manager at Residence Inn Clearwater Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

I wanted to take a moment and thank you very much for your comments you posted about our property. We find that our location to be a plus with just a short drive to the Clearwater beach area. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our rooms. Marriott takes great pride in designing their rooms. Thank you again and hope if you are ever in the area again you select our property for your choice of lodging.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here Christmas night 2012. It was clean, cheerful and the staff was more than accommodating and friendly. We thought our room was spacious and the bed wasn't bad. (We're spoiled..we love our bed at home.) The only thing I'd recommend is a more comfortable couch and chair. But not many people spend hours in their room like we did. All in all it was a great stay and the price was right. We'll probably go back again.

Room Tip: They actually serve finger food on some nights but we didn't know that. It's for their socia...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Clean room & bathroom, good shower pressure & hot water, free parking, free wired & WiFi internet. Bed comfort was OK. Too far to walk to beach but a short drive (fyi Pinellas County is charging $5/day now for all beach parking). Minor issues included a broken bathroom door, shower caulk, and we didn't like the feather pillows. Fridge ice-maker is normally shut off and empty, but ice is available from the kitchen if you bring a cooler.

Breakfast could be improved: Bread/muffins/bagels were stale & uncovered (several guests were coughing on them). Serving utensils were often missing so guests were digging out the eggs with their forks. Waffles were good but weren't available every day, and they melted onto the styrofoam plates. Also the styrofoam plates were easily shredded by the plastic knives & forks, so found myself eating waffles by hand instead of trying to cut it up. Front desk manager was sometimes the only staff member, doubling as the kitchen staff between check-outs.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple