“If you have an hour to spend, visit the CMA!”

Clearwater Marine Aquarium
$77.98*
Winter the Dolphin Tour at Clearwater Beach from Orlando
Ranked #7 of 84 things to do in Clearwater
More attraction details
Owner description: As a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, Clearwater Marine Aquarium's mission is to restore and preserve our marine environment. We accomplish our mission through leadership in education, research, and the rescue, rehabilitation, and release of marine life.
Manistique, Michigan
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“If you have an hour to spend, visit the CMA!”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My husband and I visited the CMA for the same reason as everyone else...to see Winter! I love that Winter's story is helping to save other injured animals. It is nice to see how they take care of the animals and I think it's great that they are trying to teach their visitors how to help the animals too. The facility itself was obviously old, but there was a lot of construction going on, so hopefully it will be even nicer when they finish! The animals all seemed happy though, which I always like to see. It was a little pricey, but my husband and I got in for free because we're teachers (bring a teacher ID if you have one and ask at the ticket booth). For an extra $40, you can touch one of the dolphins and get your picture taken. It is $60 for 2 people but only one gets to touch the animal. This seemed very reasonable to me. I've seen similar experiences going for much more. There were not a ton of animals, but enough to keep you busy for an hour or so (longer if you have kids with you). When you come in, they will give you a schedule with the events for the day which is very nice. It includes things like feeding times, educational programs, and more. All in all, we had a good time here and recommended it to our friends in the area.

1 Thank eleona01

• Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
Clearwater
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Negative Changes”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

Being a local I have always love to visit this place. However, when I went to visit on 12/10/2011 I found that what was a local gem has turned into a money hungry organization. It seems as though the money they are seeking is going more toward the flashy side to bring in even more money then towards improving animal care. I will no longer be recommending this place for friends and family as I do not think it shows a positive side of the aquarium's mission.

2 Thank SJ123456
Boston,MA
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 62 helpful votes
“A wonderful visit with Winter”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

The Clearwater Marine Aquarium is much more than an aquarium---and that's good. It's a marina where you can feed the sting rays, get in the water with the dolphins, and enjoy the turtles and other attractions. The high point is seeing "Winter," star of "Dolphin Tale," with his amazing tail! There are great opportunities to hear lectures by the knowledgeable staff and enjoy being outside and not seeing everything through glass. Adults and young children will all enjoy this visit. We're "young" seniors and loved it.

1 Thank EIKOOC
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“A hidden gem!”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I have lived in Florida over 20 years and I must admit I knew nothing about CMA until my 75 year old mother from West Virginia told me the 1 thing she wanted to do at Christmas when she made her annual visit was to go to the place where Winter the dolphin from the movie "Dolphin's Tale" was. So we made the relatively short trip from Orlando to Clearwater, and I'm so glad we did!! What a great place. CMA is still small enough that you have the chance to be up close and personal with both the trainers and the inhabitants. Yes, it's facilities are not "state of the art" like you find at Sea World or a larger facility, but where else are you going to get to have an unhurried conversation with one of the trainers or extremely knowledgable volunteers. You can tell the volunteers and staff love this place and it's mission of "rescue, rehabilitate, and release" and at the end of the visit you love it too.

1 Thank Flknitchik
Belleair Beach, Florida
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“See it once and you can check it off your list.”
Reviewed December 17, 2011

As it was a rescue operation for sea life I WANT to like this place. But an aquarium Its NOT. Yes they have a few good shows (Winter from "a dolphin's tale" especially good) but there is so little to see for the price paid.

Now they apparently are trying to raise money to expand and i wish them luck. However until they do, I wont be back.

Visited October 2011