“A Cheap Imitation of a Decent Hotel!!!!”

DreamView Beachfront Hotel & Resort
Ranked #18 of 98 Hotels in Clearwater
Indiana
“A Cheap Imitation of a Decent Hotel!!!!”
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Despite the overwhelmingly positive reviews this hotel is old and dirty and the beds are horrible (you can literally feel every spring in the mattress). Expect to be hit with an additional $7 per night for Parking and Internet Access (which is supposed to be complimentary) . If you book the cheap no balcony room you will get a tiny corner room which is about half the size of the other rooms. The website states that the room has a refrigerator and a microwave but ours didn't have either one. They moved us to another corner room that did have a fridge and microwave. It was too small and we asked for another room that was bigger. The bigger rooms are all balcony rooms and they wanted $20 per night over the original cost. We stayed one night because it was late and our little one was tired. The water quit running twice and one of the creepy elevators stopped at the wrong floor and opened the inner door but not the outer door. Pushing the lobby button didn't help as the door closed and opened again. The door finally closed properly and we continued down to the third floor where a maintenance man got in and my claustrophobic wife and mother-in-law got out to use the stairs. We mentioned it to the maintenance man and he said "Oh yeah, it does that.". When we got to the lobby we waited for the rest of our party that came down the stairs. They passed a small maintenance crew that had a whole wall torn out in the stairwell working in pipes that seemed very surprised to have anyone see them working. The wireless connection is sporatic at best, especially during peak use (yes, the complimentary one that I payed additional $ for). We were trying to book a nearby hotel for the next night and found it impossible until morning. Beware that they also sell time shares in the lobby, and that if you book multiple nights, you need cancel before12:00 AM the day before to get even part of your money back, otherwise you lose it all. Not recommended and will never return! Don't believe all the hype

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ru4joy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (373)
  • Turkish first
Napa, California
Reviewed October 31, 2007

Room was old and dirty. In fact, the entire hotel was dirty. Charged a $7 resort fee that we were notified of until we got there. Parking is a joke. Beach is beautiful - make sure you request one. Drinks are ridiculous priced. Their advertised "Happy Hour" does not have any discounts - just pay and get happy. Worst Best Western that I have ever stayed in.

• Liked — Beachfront property.
  • Disliked — Lack of upkeep.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
Montreal
Reviewed July 28, 2007

After a few years visiting the Wildwoods, NJ, we decided to go a bit more south to discover new beaches. I was told Clearwater Beach was one of the best spots for family. I chose the BW Sea Wake because of the reviews on this site and was not disappointed! Too bad they're selling the condos that are to be built after the demolition of this hotel. It was conveniently situated near a grocery store, liquor store, Subway and a very nice Souvenir shop. The private beach is very nice to go to and the beach cabanas at the disposal of the hotel guests are very much appreciated. It is also much more quiet than the northern part of Clearwater Beach in which we never ventured to drive! We left our car in the parking lot once we got there and visited the places nearby which was excellent for us. Frenchy's is a definite MUST if you should visit the area for their grouper sandwich. Overall, we had a wonderful time and hope this place won't be closed before we manage to go back to Clearwater Beach!

• Liked — Private beach.
  • Disliked — Nothing really...
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank QuebecMom_of_3
Minnesota
Reviewed July 26, 2007

This was my second stay at this hotel. The first time was a Dec of 05 on vacation. This was a business trip but I had some free time and wanted to be on the beach even though it meant a drive to the office.

First of all I'm not sure about the reviews stating there is a "rehab" party there on Sunday afternoons. I was there on a Sunday afternoon and on the beach. There were boats anchored and some loud music coming from the hotel two properties down on Sunday that was slightly annoying because normally it was a very quiet beach. But there was no party at the hotel. That hotel down the beach in general had more of a party atmosphere as there were a few times we heard music coming from down there. Could it be that people were confused about which hotel was which?

Now on to what I thought of the Sea Wake. The hotel like many others in the area is supposed to be torn down and replaced with condos, but that keeps getting delayed due to a poor real estate market. The desk clerk said the last they'd heard was they'd be open until Dec 2008.

I really loved the hotel in Dec of '05. It was very quiet, and the staff was exceptionally friendly. This time there were more people so it wasn't nearly as quiet but for a hotel that was full, I never had neighbors or music waking me up, and barely heard anyone.

The room was not fancy but nice, and most importantly it was clean. The beach while not huge, and technically not facing out to the gulf was quiet, nice, and never crowded. The pool is smaller but clean. The staff was helpful and courteous.

What I didn't like:

The parking was limited. A couple of nights I had to work very late and I got the very last parking stall available in the lot. Also, while the lobby and rooms in the hotel are well kept, the elevators and hallways are showing serious wear. I sincerely hope that they don't continue to let these deteriorate since the hotel will be open for at least another 18 months. The wireless internet access was also unreliable in the room I in July 07 but I never had any issues with in in Dec of 05.

I would recommend this hotel, as a matter of fact a coworker is traveling to our office there in Oct and I've recommended they stay there even though it's a 30 minute drive to the office.

• Liked — Value for the location
  • Disliked — Parking, Internet Access
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank MNboater
Bangor
Reviewed July 22, 2007

My wife and I are just back from our vacation to florida and we always stay 4 days in Clearwater. We stayed here last year and had a great experience - friendly staff and the beach front rooms really make the trip.

We stayed again this year as a result and everything was perfect. The parking can be a little tricky out front as they have limited spaces but didn't cause us any problems. The only thing I would recommend it that if you have kids or you want a peaceful weekend - make sure you do not stay on a sunday. Sunday afternoons host a party called 'Rehab' which has dance music pumping and loads of people drinking cocktails and getting drunk. The hotel did put a note through the door saying that it was happening and if you have kids they will recommend alternatives.

For me and my wife, we chilled by the pool until we could not take the music any longer and it was too hot anyway. It died down about 11pm which wasn't bad and did not really cause us any bother - but if I had kids with me, I don't think I would have been a happy camper!!!!

Stayed July 2007
4 Thank BangorBMcG
Chicago
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Stayed the week of July 4th. Sooo glad I picked this hotel. Great location. Alot of construction going on at north end of clearwater beach ALOT!! This hotel was well away from noisey, smelly, traffic congested main beach. This hotel sits on the beautiful bay with a nicely sized (not to big not to small ) beach. The dolphins were swimming just outside the swim area all day! A GREAT place to stay for families, coulpes. You can walk the beach to Speppards ......try the seafood prime rib buffet..awesome.
The rooms were clean and nicely sized. This place is the best priced, best locaton on the water. To bad like so many others it will be demolished for more condos. What a shame, go now if
you can as there will be NO affordable, beach front hotel left Very soon. My husband and teenage son had a very nice July 4th holiday week and we spent most of our time right at the hotel beach.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank ldi
maryland
Reviewed July 4, 2007

The hotel appeared to be what we booked...at first. My husband and I were on the private bayfront beach in the evening where a Vodka promotion was setting up for July 1. The promotion staff asked us to vacate the lounge chairs so they could set up their promotion. The hotel's acting manager, or night auditor, talked with them, but they ultimately agreed the promotor had a deal with the management. Not much of the beach was left once they finished setting up, unless we wanted to wait until the next day to pay the Vodka company to rent a cabana.

To top it off, the hotel did not provide enough parking and did not have a back-up plan when they ran out of spaces. The only positive is that they promised us a full refund so we could go to another hotel. We would not recommend this hotel to families or non-vodka drinkers during the weekends because the Vodka promotion is scheduled to continue through the summer.

• Liked — town
  • Disliked — Vodka Promotion and lack of parking
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple