“great food, great service, romantic”

Caretta on the Gulf
Reserve with OpenTable
Caretta on the Gulf is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 693 Restaurants in Clearwater
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Baymont Street
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“great food, great service, romantic”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was a great meal. The cocktail menu was varied and the cocktails themselves were very good. The service was excellent. We were here in late february, and came on a weekday night so it wasn't packed. we had the steak which was just excellent. really a great romantic meal!

• Visited February 2014

Calgary, Canada
“Very Busy”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Place was packed, too busy, either wait 45 min or seat at the sushi bar, with no view , basically a service station for wait staff . So we payed "view prices for food " and watched the wait staff ready their meals. regardless the food was excellent and we had a great server. Unfortunately could not even sneak a peak of the gulf, which was the main reason to go and celebrate my wife's bday here. The shrimp are excellent as is the grouper, and the crab cake, and the steak although pricey the food overall was excellent, you need to get a view seat to really enjoy and i suggest reserving.

1 Thank SunandSand096
JPNewport, Director of Food & Beverage at Caretta on the Gulf, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Guest,

My name is Jonathan Pelletier and I am the Director of Food & Beverage for Sandpearl Resort. Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent dining experience with us at Caretta on the Gulf. I am so glad you enjoyed your meal with us here at the Resort! Our shrimp & Grouper are fresh from the Gulf so you really cannot go wring there! We do have a wonderful crab cake here that the Chef's really take pride in, it is one of my favorite things on the menu! Our steak, of course, is of the finest quality and we source out our meats from a lovely little ranch up in Northern California. We do have a butcher here on property who is able to hand cut and select only the best cuts of meat for our guests.

I would like to apologize we could not get you a better table for your wife's birthday. I understand it is frustrating when you go to a restaurant that is famed for their stunning views and you cannot enjoy the view yourself because of the amount of people who want to dine here. While it is great our restaurant here at the Resort is doing so well with our Resort guest and locals alike, it is frustrating to me that I am unable expand the restaurant so everyone can enjoy our spectacular views. I would like to make this up to you if I can in some way so please give me a call the next time you are visiting from Calgary and I will put you front and center with that view of our Beach and the Gulf of Mexico!

Thank you so much for your nice words here on Trip Advisor and we look forward to your next visit here at Caretta on the Gulf!

safety harbor, florida
“Love the Sunday Brunch!”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We eat at Carettas a few times a year for brunch to celebrate birthdays, etc. We're never disappointed. There is always lots of smoked salmon, sushi, oysters, and other seafood salads. The omelets are great, carving station is great, service is great. The only issue I had was this last visit they had sliced pita bread for a bread choice. The last few times they had thinkly sliced homemade foccacia which was out of this world. Like most, I don't want to fill up on bread, but you want something good for the cheeses, spreads, etc. Pita is so pedestrian! Otherwise, its excellent. $40.00 might seem a bit steep, but its really not that hard to eat and drink enough to make it a good value.

• Visited March 2014
JPNewport, Director of Food & Beverage at Caretta on the Gulf, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

My name is Jonathan Pelletier and I am the Director of Food & Beverage for Sandpearl Resort. Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent dining experience with us at Caretta on the Gulf. I am so glad you enjoy our Champagne Sunday Brunch so much! I really think it is a special Brunch myself and the selections are always plentiful and delicious! We do have a Fabulous team of Pastry Chefs here at the Resort who make all of our pastries, breads and breakfast pastries. We usually try to mix up the selections on a weekly basis as we do get a lot of repeat, local guests such as yourself from Safety Harbor. I will bring up your comment of the pita bread to the Chef and I appreciate you giving us feedback.

“Delicious!”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Caretta's is my favorite part of the Sandpearl Resort...my wife and I enjoyed a candle light dinner, filet and lobster as entrees, preceded by sushi appetizers. Our server was Michelle and she did a wonderful job. Each table is offered a wonderful selection of bread, the wine list was extensive...a great getaway from our day at the beach!

Dear Guest,

My name is Jonathan Pelletier and I am the Director of Food & Beverage for Sandpearl Resort. Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent dining experience with us at Caretta on the Gulf! I am so glad you enjoyed your dining experience here and thought it was "Delicious"! I agree, our sushi Chefs do a Fabulous job with our hand rolled sushi rolls! Filet & Lobster - how can you go wrong! We get our lobster flown in from Maine so you really cannot go wring there! I am glad Michel did a wonderful job for you, she is great I must agree! I am pretty proud of our Wine Spectator awarded wine list myself, I am glad you enjoyed the selections!

Thank you again for taking the time to write such a nice review on Trip Advisor and we will see you next time at Caretta on the Gulf!

Chicago, Illinois
“Not as great as most of the reviews here!”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We came here a week ago with my family on a rainy Clearwater morning. We were seated right away in the middle of the dining area but still with a good view of the beach-if anything that is the best part about this restaurant. Enter our waiter-my sister put her order like this: coffee for my father please..the waiter answered, coffee for my father-I dont even know what that means. I was irritated by this and said really nicely, that was a little difficult to understand huh? I dont know what was up with this guy but boy, was I annoyed on how he was talking to us. Just because we were Asian, it doesnt mean we cant get our order straight. It sounded pretty clear and plain to me. Anyway, he tried to recover and put the blame on me for confusing him, thinking I said, I wanted to coffee instead. Fantastic!
The food came, the Short Rib Slider was good, my nephew loved his mac and cheese, my father liked the fries that came with Grouper Tacos, my Poke was ok but my Nigiri Sampler looks unimpressive as if they were sliced and made by an amateur-I know I wasn't in a Japanese restaurant but I thought they took pride of their Sushi and Raw Bar here.

Visited March 2014
JPNewport, Director of Food & Bevergae at Caretta on the Gulf, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

My name is Jonathan Pelletier and I am the Director of Food & Beverage for Sandpearl Resort. Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent dining experience with us at Caretta on the Gulf. I am first off glad you enjoyed our stunning views of the Gulf of Mexico. I am also glad you enjoyed our short rib sliders - those are one of my favorites on the menu as we smoke our pork right here on property with the Chef's special BBQ sauce. The mac & cheese is yummy here and I am so happy your nephew enjoyed them. I agree with your father, our fries are spectacular here as well as our Grouper Tacos - we have had these on the menu for a while as they are a local favorite - I must have them 4 - 5 times a month myself!
In your review you mentioned a couple of concerns. I am sorry your sever could not understand you and I apologize if the misunderstanding caused you any duress. It appears to me there was a misunderstanding on who should receive the coffee, I am sure your server was just repeating back the order as trained but it was lost in the delivery. I will speak to the sever about what he should do in the future when listening to his guests. We do strive to give personalized and professional service in Caretta on the Gulf at all times. I will speak with our lead sushi Chef, Viet, about is food quality. He is actually considered quite good and is an instructor at a local University. I will, however, bring the quality of his work to his attention as mentioned in your comments of "unimpressive" and "made by an amateur". He takes great pride in his work and I take great pride in product at Caretta on the Gulf and if he is falling short of your expectations, it shall be brought to his attention and we will rectify the situation. Furthermore, one of my Managers should have gone to your table to apologize and make sure you had an enjoyable dining experience after we realized you were not enjoying your sushi. We certainly fell short of your expectations and for this I truly apologize.

I will speak with our Restaurant Manager as well as our Executive Chef regarding the comments on the quality of food as well the follow up and recovery that apparently did not occur. This is normally something that we pride ourselves in.

I would love it if you would contact me personally here at the Resort if you return to this area from Pennsylvania again so that I may introduce myself. If you would like to speak me personally regarding your dining experience, please feel free to contact my directly at the resort.

I want to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention, without me knowing something like this occurred in the restaurant; I would not have the opportunity to improve.

Regards,