“EXTRAORDINARY BRUNCH - CONFUSING SERVICE!”

Caretta on the Gulf
Reserve with OpenTable
Caretta on the Gulf is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 708 Restaurants in Clearwater
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Baymont Street
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Husband and I dined here yesterday for Christmas Brunch, the selection was amazing and the gourmet dishes and attention to everything was impeccable. We will most definitely return. I have never had such an excellent meal in my life and I have travelled the world!

Now the negative. When we walked in the receptionist at Carettas was looking down and we actually had to say HELLO? like 3 times. A young man next to her told us that they were not ready for our 3PM reservation. A young lady named Colleen called my cell 4 times in the week preceeding our Brunch to ask if we could change our 3:30PM reservation for 3PM. Why were they not ready when we arrived promptly at 3?

I asked if we could order a drink and sit outside - he said yes. So we sat on a table with 6 chairs and an umbrella and a waitress came and said "Switch tables, this is too large for 2 people!" So we did and she was attentive enough and we tipped her generously. However, she did not tell us we could remain at that table for the brunch! We also got up at 3:30 after drinks, and went back to the receptionist who was clicking a pen and asked "Is the buffet ready yet?" Duh? She said (no lie) Yup!(still looking down at her book ... Our kind French Waitress graciously showed us where to go and we found our way around.

The rest of the staff is excellent, accommodating and will cook or serve anything to order. I dislike pointing a finger, but your brunette receptionist and the young man with her at 3PM need a private meeting to improve their methods. The buffet, where you can order drinks, etc. should be thoroughly explained and.... YES! NAMES SHOULD BE CALLED WHEN READY. If the buffet is not ready - then get those blinking hand-held pagers or something.

We were not the only ones complaining and walking around like zombies waiting for them to call our names or even acknowledge our existence! Hence, the 4 stars.

There are newer reviews for Caretta on the Gulf

Reviewed December 19, 2013

We had dinner and the service and food were outstanding. I recommend going at sunset so you can enjoy dinner with the sun setting.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Sent a registered letter to the manager for the poor service we had on April13, 2013. Never heard from anyone! It was my mother's 90th birthday and the service was awful. The waiter literally was grabbing my husband's appetizer when there were more oysters on the plate! No one asked if we wanted coffee. Would never go back and the bill for 6 people was $500.00.

4  Thank juilliard
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Always good, very consistent! Enjoy the view, very romantic and the service is impeccable. Highly recommend!

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Family of 5 had Sunday brunch here and it was wonderful. Includes unlimited mimosas or straight prosecco. The variety and quality of the food was what made it standout - included oysters, sushi, shrimp, salads, halibut, strip loin as well as all the usual breakfast and side items, and of course dessert. My personal fovourites were the little duck pastries and the lemon tarts. Was unsure of making the reservation in advance as couldn't find the price on their website but it was probably the best value of our whole trip to the US ($40 per adult in Oct 2013). Dining room also has a nice view of the beach. Highly recommended.