“Exquisite food; beautiful view!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caretta on the Gulf

Caretta on the Gulf
Reserve with OpenTable
Caretta on the Gulf is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #36 of 685 Restaurants in Clearwater
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Baymont Street
“Exquisite food; beautiful view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

The food was fantastic; service was what you would expect from one of the best restaurants. We were with a group of business associates; I didn't hear a single complaint.

Visited September 2013

Perkinsville, Vermont
“Very Good Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We really enjoyed an evening here. We each ordered 2-3 appetizers which was handled expertly by our server and in the kitchen - so everything arrived at a nice pace. This was some of the best raw seafood we had during our trip. New England oysters, tuna poke etc. Duck and pork belly were done nicely as well. The wine list had a surprising number of very good moderate wines, something we always appreciate!

It is a fairly formal setting but no dress code. There is also a killer view if the weather is favorable and you can snag an outside table. And like all restaurants... on the first attempt at seating they tried to put us at the crappy table right next to an active door - after we declined that table they found a nice quiet spot for us. Certainly a 'special occasion' kind of place - but its in a resort - so expect there to be kids around and to pay resort prices.

1 Thank Travelgal621111
Clearwater, Florida
“Over the top good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We are Clearwater residents and are always appreciative of good food. There is naturally good tourist food in the area - but we really like to have something super nice once in awhile. We have been coming to Caretta for awhile now but I'm finally taking the time I should have before to write a review. Last night pushed me over the edge...:) We come for the amazing sunsets, fantastic service all around starting at the front desk and most importantly the food. We decided we wanted something light last night so we ate at the bar for 'sushi.' A few weeks ago we had a full meal with amazing appetizers starting with the Pho and the Lobster with these little peas that I love - and sharing the Pacific Halibut which is a new favorite. It was fantastic. But tonight was the Rainbow Roll first with Beach Bellinis (wonderful). We asked Jessica - who pulled in Chris - what their favorite app was - they both said the Steak Tartare. Hmmm - we have had Beef Carpaccio but this is chopped up rare meat. We polled the wait staff separately:) It was unanimous... And, it was AMAZING - and I hope that feedback got back to Chef Sean. A duck egg cooked over easy (so it wasn't too in the face of beginners) with some secret magic hollandaise sauce and the meat had a hint of spice and some crunchy morsels. Over the top good. This is why we love this place. The sushi is top notch - even baby cheater sushi - and they change their menu several times/year. For beef - we are crazy for the Kansas City steak. Right now we have focused on the fish. Dan runs the place with grace under pressure - and the wait staff will remember your name after the first visit. To name a few of the wonderful staff we have met - Lance, Jessica, Sarah, Christine, Chris and Sondra. I just hope not too many people find out about the monthly wine dinners - but that is for another review. Seriously great food, location and service - plus I tried something new (and I'm not young) and loved it but wasn't surprised. We haven't had a bad meal - and if something is just not quite there - it goes back without blinking an eye. We'll be back.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank mlawrence
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Nice place, nice view, nice food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I recently ate dinner at Caretta to celebrate our anniversary. We sat at a table with a perfect view of the beach and witnessed a most beautiful sunset while we ate our dinner. It was a very romantic setting. We ate the grouper and the filet and both were excellent. Our server, Michael was very professional and helpful. We highly recommend this restaurant and we will definitely be back.

1 Thank Julieta1961
NE Ohio
“Excellent Food, Outstanding View, (Almost) Perfect Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

My wife and I ate here for dinner during our stay at the Sandpearl Resort. As the only 5-star restaurant on Clearwater Beach, we had relatively high expectations. That particular evening, without my knowledge, my wife had called ahead to inform them that it was my birthday. She was informed that it would be noted in our reservation. We were able to get a great seat outside looking out over the sun setting on the beach. We ordered drinks but when I asked to see if I could get one of the same drinks on the menu at the other Sandpearl bar, they couldn't make it happen...so I settled with something close. We ordered a watermelon salad which was outstanding...tastes you could not imagine working together. Our palate was cleansed with some type of cherry tomato-herb spoon which was also unique and great. I had a fish (cobia) entree and wife had a filet...both were perfectly prepared and delicious. At the end of dinner, we hung out and enjoyed the view for a bit (it wasn't too crowded that evening). As we were leaving, my wife was a bit disappointed that the staff missed the opportunity for acknowledging my b-day and didn't once mention anything about it...by host, waitress, etc. (she wasn't going to push the issue either). We ended up getting some ice cream down the street. Overall, the food was great, but the service left a little to be desired. It was our waitress' first evening, but she did pretty good. I urged my wife to call to mention something to the manager the next day and she did. He apologized, and offered some desert, but the opportunity was missed. Anyway, hopefully it was a fluke...the food and the view were the highlights!

• 3 of 5 bubbles