“INCREDIBLE FUN!!”

Ray's Airboat Rides
Ranked #9 of 13 things to do in Christmas
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Captain Ray will take you on a guided tour of the St. John's River for an up close view of alligators, birds and wildlife. We use only small boats (6 passenger max.) so everyone has an unobstructed view! Fun for all ages!
Reviewed April 20, 2013

WOW!! WOW! WOW! WOW!! That says it all!! An incredible ride with fun facts along the way!! From the moment I called to book the trip Ray was helpful and friendly. We were a group of 6 with the youngest being 5 yrs old! and it was no problem. He kept everyone entertained. STRONGLY RECOMMEND him for your air boat ride. In expensive too! :)

1  Thank 1Hayley
in 6 reviews
"cypress"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Do NOT waste your money on the midway or anywhere else! Go see captain ray! I've went on rays trips a couple times and I think it is truly my favorite thing in Florida. You get up close and personal with so many creatures. There were birds, turtles, cattle, horses and most of all Gators! And he can tell you so many things about them. You can tell he's lived that way his whole life so it makes it great because you are with a true floirdian that knows his stuff and isn't afraid to jump in that water!! I'm planning a trip in July and heading back down to see ray and I hope you guys do the same!!

2  Thank kayfike
Reviewed March 30, 2013

My wife and I were on vaction, birding photography. We had visited Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge on Merritt Island, FL. We wanted to take an air boat ride and we had a brochure for Midway Tours that looked good. I left a message stating we wanted to go out the next day and they didn't even call us back. Onto the internet I go at the hotel to check TripAdvisor, and we found Ray's Airboat Rides. Ray was out on a tour so we left a message, hoping he would call back. Well, he did and we discussed time and location for the next day. It looked like we would be in for an early monring shower/storm and Ray called to asked if we wanted to cancel or wait it out. We decided to wait, as the storm was moving to the Northeast.

We met at the boat launch on the St. John's River in Christmas, and Ray explained what the trip would entail. We were very excited. As we headed to the river we saw a great blue heron as the left, one of many that day. We slowed near a stand of evergreens and in the one of the trees was a bald eagle. Is was so majestic drying in the tree tops from the rain. Ray stated that there were about 30 pairs of eagles in the area.

We saw numerours bird including more eagles, ospreys, great blue herons, wood storks, egrets and skimmers. We saw so many alligators we lost track of the count! We encountered a group of skimmers resting on the shoal - as the boat started up, the birds flew up - great photos! We spent some time in the cypress swamp where Captain Ray enlightened us on the habitat and animals. We saw several Great blue herons fledging on an island next to an Indian burial mound. We saw so many great sights and learned so much in the 2.5 hours we spent on an uncrowded airboat.

Ray's is the best tour for the money, It was no tourist ride, it was up close and personal with your favorite gators. Ray's knowledge and experience really came to light as we discovered all the inlets and outlets that the bigger boats couldn't attain.

I was worth the 50 dollars a person. We will be back to Ray and his friends as much as possible.

Thanks Ray! His mate (grandson) was a delightful little boy - who slept most of the trip! 5 plus stars - you're cheating yourself of a great experience if you don't take a ride with Captian Ray!

So many pictures to edit and post.

5  Thank CTscribe
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Ray takes you off the tourist route and brings you up close and personal to the real deal! I'm a Florida native and I was completely blown away. Awesome background, knowledge, and fun all along the way. Don't think--go!!

See more reviews
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was the BEST experience!!! Ray is probably Florida's best kept secret. Don't waste your money at Midway! They charge around $50 dollars for a 45 minute experience. We called Ray around 10 am on a Sunday morning and he told us to come over for a ride at 1 pm that same day! (Can you say accomodating?) After getting on the small boat (which is way better than Midway's big airboats because you get a close up experience to the gators) Ray took us out for 2 and 1/2 hours and only charged us $50!!! He let us stop at numerous places and explore. He is Florida born & raised and knows his stuff regarding the land, its' history, and the animals that live on it. GO WITH RAY!

2  Thank Olivia L