“Nostalgic and fun!”

Book In Advance
More Info
$140.00*
and up
All Day Everglades Tour with Airboat and Big Cypress Preserve and Everglades...
Ranked #4 of 14 things to do in Chokoloskee
More attraction details
Owner description: *Est in 1906 The Smallwood Store is now a museum open 7 days a week. At the Historic Smallwood Store you will learn the story of the pioneers who tamed this vast wilderness also known as "Florida's Last Frontier". Learn about the Calusa Indians and later the Seminole and Miccousukee Tribes that traded at the Trading Post. Visit the Tigertail gift shop located inside the Smallwood Store Museum. You will find books & DVD's related to Southwest Florida History, authentic Seminole crafts & carvings, artwork & photography from local artist, alligator heads, t-shirts and much more.
sarasota FL
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“Nostalgic and fun!”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

My friends' canoe guide recommend coming here, and I am very glad. It was a fun piece of old Florida, and interesting stories are told here. I had never heard of a "skunk ape" or the famous Mr. Watson. Old bottles, cans, flour sacks, utensils, etc. line the walls and ceiling. It was certainly worth the price of admission ($5) and the views are endless.

Visited March 2014

Naples, FL
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“MUST SEE for Naples visitors”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

This is an amazing step back in time. All sorts of interesting tibias of Everglades history. Definitely at the end of the road. Make it part of an "Day in the Everglades".

Visited February 2014
1 Thank LivingINnaples
Rhode Island
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“So glad for this store/museum”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

'Twas magical: Rick Magers, a seasoned local author tells unforgettable stories of his travels and of the Everglades. The contrast: at the front desk is a local high school girl and her boyfriend. I kept thinking of the experience of being 17 and working in such a wonderful place. A "must see" on Chokolaskie

London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“As Cindy F previously wrote, a "Hidden jewel and definitely a must see!!”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Came across this place completely by accident on a rainy day after visiting the Everglade City Museum. At the end of a little road, we would never have found it without the signage. My daughter refused to get out of the RV and was not interested in going inside and when we came out, I showed her my photos and she didn't feel she had missed anything!

I was completely amazed by the whole experience and count it as one of the best attractions, if not the absolute best attraction for me, of our whole trip to the Keys. We read the other reviews and yes the store is a little moth eaten, dusty and the items may not be museum quality but to me that is all part of it. It felt like we had travelled back in time and entered a secret place that has just been opened after so many years of being shut up. I loved looking at the packaging of old products and how everything is still in the same place it was all those years ago.

The store has a calm and peaceful feeling and for a while we were the only ones there. We sat and watched the DVD about true tales of the Everglades, a fascinating film of how people lived in those pioneer days and how hard the life sometimes was. Author Rick Magers was there signing books and we wandered out onto the deck at the water’s edge, which was the original main entrance to the store.

We spent a long time looking and reading and we both said we could have spent all day just soaking up the atmosphere. Maybe not everybody's cup of tea and sadly not my teenage daughter’s, but how many places are still around like this. Absolutely wonderful. If I lived in Florida I would go time and time again and we're so glad we stumbled upon it!!!

2 Thank SIlver P
Danbury, Connecticut
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“A Trip Back in Time”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is a small museum that, in actuality, is the old general store original to the region. Chock full of brands long past and different tools and cooking utensils not seen in a very long time. Many other objects are there to enjoy.