“Best pulled pork sandwich!”

Havana Cafe of the Everglades
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: Seasonal Restaurant: October 15 - Mid April Annually Romantic tropical garden cafe with lots of charm. Beautiful, spacious outdoor setting, screened in by palm trees & flowers. The gentle breeze creates a Key West feel. Where traditional Cuban staples and fresh Gulf of Mexico seafood are transformed into flavorful caribbean-style dishes with Carlos’ stamp of passion on each one of them. Breakfast 7-11 daily Start your day with the smell of fresh ground Cuban coffee laced with silky warm whole milk. Every breakfast includes fresh ingredients and authentic Cuban flavors. You’ll savor the Havana Omelette, The “Rena,” Chorizo Egg Sandwich or Steak & Eggs. Like hot sauce on your eggs? Try Carlos’ Hot Sauce and buy a bottle to take home. Lunch 11-3 daily Sandwiches are served on our pressed Cuban bread, made from scratch in our kitchen. The black beans start as dry beans and are cooked with no pork fat; the fish is caught daily from our family’s boat. Sweet Plantains or Tostones are perfect for sharing. Enjoy a mouth-watering sandwich such as Dulce’s Cuban, Grouper or Vegetarian Sandwich. Dinner 5-8 Fridays & Saturdays *Paella by Reservation Relax with soft lighting, music and savor special dinner entreés. Carlos’ creativity with spices and mixing flavors has perfected dishes such as Carlos’ Shrimp Plate, Stone Crab Enchilado, and Paella to name a few. Authentic Cuban flavor with an island flare. Reservations required for Paella, made from scratch with fresh ingredients.
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Beautiful patio and friendly wait staff. We were in a hurry to catch a boat tour and they were very accommodating. I wish we had more time to sit and enjoy the landscaping! This was the only packed restaurant that we saw in the area, and after my first bite of the pulled pork sandwich I can understand why.

1  Thank Jessica S
There are newer reviews for Havana Cafe of the Everglades

Reviewed May 15, 2014

We came here for dinner, and were put on the porch. As we finished our appetizers, I saw a gentleman who was standing pull out a cigar. Cigars make me sick, so I asked the waitress to hold our main courses until he was seated elsewhere, or to move us. She told me that cigars were not allowed, and she would take care of it. She could not. Instead, the gentleman walked past our table smoking his cigar more times than is natural for even a casual restaurant. They also did not hold our main courses - instead, they arrived as I I was about to be ill. I understand that the restaurant was in a difficult position and could not satisfy both of us, but I would have been happier just being told that the cigar was going to be smoked, so I could leave instead of receiving multiple assurances - and not just from our waitress - that the smoking would move away or stop. Not well handled. So no idea whether the food was good,

9  Thank Traveler2005
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Had a great meal here in early Spring. Try the Cuban sandwich or the Shrimp plate! The coffee is great as well. Great atmosphere.

Only con is this place is not open during the Summer months (From May to October). I stopped by here in early May on my way to Chokoloskee and was psyched to eat here again only to be let down by the sign on the door that says "We're Closed for the season!"

Guess I'll come back in Winter..

2  Thank LearyGlades
Reviewed April 29, 2014

This restaurant was recommended to us by a local. We had a quick lunch there and then reserved for dinner. Thank goodness we reserved, as we got the last table. It seems to be a well frequented place, especially at the weekend. We sat outside, quite romantic, and had a very nice meal. The Cuban coffee is great. They say that breakfast is good here, too. The service was good and fast. A nice place, well run and traditional in its own way.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

The Havana cafe had stopped dinner service for the season by the time of our visit to Everglades City; however, we had both a fantastic breakfast and lunch there. Our omelets (the Carlos and Havana) were among the best omelets we'd ever tasted and the grouper salad I enjoyed for lunch the next day was superb. Cuban and Media Noche sandwiches were fantastic and our party of four raved about the food. Rice and beans were classically made, creamy and delicious. The outdoor seating area is shaded and delightful. On the last day they were open, they were running out of many items, but our waitress managed to fill our lunch order and keep us amused with her running commentary. We now understand why people drive from Ft. Myers to eat here-- we'll definitely be back!