“Would stay there again!”

Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Celebration
Calgary, AB
“Would stay there again!”
Reviewed July 10, 2009

We (2 adults) had stayed at the Mona Lisa Suite Hotel from May 4 - May 16, 2009 in a 2 Bedroom/2 Bathroom Suite.

Hotel Condition:
The hotel is very new and modern. The zero-entry pool is great for just laying in the pool while sun tanning. The hot tub is kept at a hot temperature in the centre of the pool. We did not have an issue getting a towel, even late at night by the pool. The restaurant looks small and we did not dine there although we did have some drinks after checking out. While we were there, there was an issue with the fire alarms going off at 2am in the morning and then again repeatedly later in the day. This hotel is very non-smoking so it is great for those wanting to get away from cigarette smoke while in the pool or on your balcony.

Hotel Service:
The front desk staff is very friendly, as is the security patrolling the building. We did not meet our housekeepers but they were very good. Our toiletries and kitchen would constantly be restocked, they provided the items we had asked for in our notes, put our used dishes in the dishwasher or sink, ran the dishwasher for us, and they tidied up the empty boxes/bags even though they weren't in the garbage while leaving the stuff on the dressers/night stands alone. We also tipped very well, which may explain why others may not have had the same experience with housekeeping.

We did have an issue with the Guest Service Manager, Annie Gole, when the fire alarms went off 3 times in a period of 2 hours right after we got back from SeaWorld in addition to the fire alarm the night previous. We were not sure how often the fire alarms were going off during the day while we were out. We made a complaint because the fire alarm had disturbed out sleep the night before and were continuing to bother us at 5 pm. We did not want to stay another night if they couldn't make it stop. Annie told us that she had already apologized and there wasn't much she could do because they didn't know what was causing it.

We did not want to stay there if the fire alarms continued. Our concern was if the building had caught on fire, I don't know if we would have evacuated in a timely manner and if they were false alarms, we did not want them to ruin our vacation. Expedia phoned our hotel and explained our feelings to Annie Gole, and asked if they would allow a refund. Annie told Expedia that the alarms wouldn't go off again and that they had called the company out to come and fix it. I appreciate Expedia's help in the matter. After that, Annie Gole knew exactly which room we were staying in, and was not pleasant to deal with.

Room Cleanliness:
The room was very clean, there were no bugs or cobwebs, the carpets were not noticeably stained, towels were changed frequently, and our bed was made every day (we only had the sheets changed once during our stay by notifying them with a place card). The fridge was also clean, as well as the kitchen counters and ceramic stove top.

Room Comfort:
The mattress was a king-sized Sealy, and the bed sheets were very comfortable. The down pillows came in two different sizes and fills so it was very easy to find a pillow you were comfortable with. The down comforter was just perfect.
There is also a washer/dryer combo that does small loads of laundry. It wasn’t the greatest but it got the job done. You just have to do really small loads (3 shirts, 3 shorts, socks and underwear) and the instructions located on the wall behind the washer were helpful and easy to understand.

Amenities near-by:
There is a strip mall with a few dine-in restaurants, a Wendy's and a grocery store with convenience store selection and prices. We would recommend Ocean's 11 if you want a place with affordable seafood.

We would NOT recommend Charley's Steakhouse. We went to Charley's on our first night in because it is literally the closest restaurant. We explained to the waiter that we had just flew in (which is why we were dressed so casually) and wanted a quick bite to eat before unpacking in our hotel. Our waiter, Jorge, was very, very pushy. He would not leave us alone with the menu even though we had asked him to let us look at the menu. We noticed that when he was listing off the selection of drinks and sides to us, he would mumble and when we asked him to repeat himself, he would only list off two or three choices that HE wanted us to pick (usually with a higher price point) and interrupt us before we could look at the menu. My fiancé had ordered the rib-eye 5 times and kept explaining he did not want the porterhouse! He had ordered his rib-eye medium rare and what did we get? We got a PORTERHOUSE cooked MEDIUM and Jorge REFUSED to take it back! The center of the steak that was cooked medium-rare was the size of a golf ball. We were definitely charged for a porterhouse and my fiancé paid because he did not want to make a scene and have a horrible start to our vacation. We had later complained to management about Jorge and were offered to stop by for some drinks and appetizers while they got Jorge's side of the story. No thank you! We would not step foot in that place again, and we would recommend you do the same if you do not want to pay good money for crap service and stuff you don’t even want. We later realized that the service everywhere else was fantastic! This is the only restaurant we went to that we did not like. We do not mind paying those prices for food, but the restaurant should make well worth it with the quality in the food and service!

Overall Satisfaction:
Overall, the hotel was great to stay at except for a few instances. We would highly recommend tipping your housekeepers well to ensure you have everything restocked. We also recommend renting a car. If you decide to go to the nearby attractions, take advantage of the shuttles (the latest one leaves around 10am and you can get back to the hotel as early as 3pm) because it allows you to relax on your vacation without paying an arm and a leg for a taxi or deal with the stress of driving.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 9, 2009

My spouse and I attended a conference in Orlando and stayed at the Mona Lisa Suite Hotel for 7 nights. We booked this stay via Expedia.com after several weeks of researching numerous hotels. We chose the Mona Lisa based on the following:

Rated as 4 star hotel, listed as a new Hotel (less than one year old), all the rooms are suites with full kitchens and the booking stated we would receive a one bedroom Poolside suite. Additionally the Hotel is close to the major attractions in Orlando (Disney, Universal, Sea World).

So let me begin with the pros: The hotel is conveniently located close to the major attractions and the suites do have full kitchens.

Cons: My spouse and I were somewhat disappointed when we arrived. First, we were advised that we would not be placed in a One bedroom suite with a poolside view because the location only has two or three of these types of suites and they were all being occupied. Even after explaining that this is what was noted on our reservation we still did not receive a poolside room. Second, the person at the front desk advised there was a $12 per night service fee. This was not a problem or shock as we were made aware of this additional charge at the time of booking. What did come as a complete surprise was when the person at the front desk advised that the service fee only covered the making of bed(s) changing of towels and water being provided. However, if we wanted a complete cleaning which included vaccuming then it would be an additional $10 per night. I was almost floored by this. first because even in a 3 star facility vacuuming is part of maid services. I advised the receptionist that this was not listed nor were we advised of these additional fees. She politely advised that this was the hotels procedures. Needless to say, we refused to pay the addtional $10 per night fee.

Not sure why the Mona Lisa is listed as a 4-Star facility. We were provided with a room on the fifth floor. The room was somewhat spacious, however the carpet had numerous stains in the living area and in the bedroom and the bathroom floor was not very clean. (Another disappointment) Not only was the rug in the room stained, the hall rug was also badly stained. Which was very surprising because the hotel has only been in existence for 1 year.

My spouse and I called Expedia and expressed our disappointment with the facility and requested to move to another location. The Expedia represented tried to locate a facility (4-Star) for us but unfortunately, all the 4-star locations near where we needed to be were book. Needless to say, we had to bite the bullet and deal with these issues.

We do a lot of traveling, so would I choose this hotel for future travels, my response would be absolutely not.

Would I recommend this location to friend, my response would be no.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
profstaff, Manager at Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration, responded to this review, July 14, 2009
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Mona Lisa Suite Hotel. Firstly,
our star rating is decided by our Travel Distribution Partner’s evaluation and not that of the management team. We sincerely regret that your stay was not what you expected for your Orlando visit. We apologize that one of our team members misinformed you regarding the daily resort charge and what it includes. This charge does not have anything to do with the housekeeping that is provided at the hotel.
Mona Lisa Suite Hotel is a self catering, condo suite hotel. Like so many of our competitors in the area we have various types of cleaning services. We however, have elected to include a daily “mini clean” for our guests which provides for a daily towel exchange, beds made and trash removal. There is no extra charge for this service nor for the final clean which is also provided to our guests upon their departure. Many of our competitors only provide a final clean to their guests and the guests often are required to pay for this. Our management believes that we can offer “additional” housekeeping services to our guests upon their request.
Regarding your suite assignment during your stay, our hotel does not guarantee suite location or assignment. We do not charge additionally for poolside rooms versus another location. Because of this we only accept special requests from our travel partners, like Expedia, based on availability at the time of check in. We make every effort to accommodate a guest’s special request, however at times it is not possible.
Our Mona Lisa Suite Hotel Team Members are always looking at ways to enhance our guest’s experience at our hotel and while we did not meet your expectations on your most recent stay with us we sincerely hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to provide the outstanding accommodations and guest service that we know is possible.
Florida
Reviewed July 6, 2009

We checked in and payed cash for our stay...mistake cause I would of left after 1 night. We stayed 2 nights, got to our room and the room was not cleaned , sofa cushions unzipped and thrown on the sofa. Food left in kitchen cabinets from past guest of opened food. Room was pretty and spacious but dirty. Hair on the bathroom floor...both bathrooms. If you want to room cleaned it is$15.00 upcharge they only provide you with clean towels make the bed and empty the trash...or so they say. They still did not even do that until i went to the front desk to tell them they never came. They're excuse was the Do not Disturb sign was on the door....no I made sure it was off as I was waiting for them to show up.

Nice pool area but once the towels were dirty they stayed on the pool chairs ALL DAY and never wre cleaned so they were always out. No management in any area horrible experience. Truly a shame since it was so pretty and has potential just so unfriendly and poorly managed.

We were there for July 3 and 4th. Totally understaffed when we asked if they served lunch they told us no. So my husband went to McDonalds for the kids....then I see people being served lunch??? Food was tasty I will give them that and it was priced reasonable. Dinner service ok. Breakfast service horrible. 5 of us were seated for breakfast and given 1 menu. We asked for menus and were told they only have 6 or 7??? I never heard of such a thing. Took twenty minutes for salt and pepper and water. We joked maybe they only had one salt and pepper then our waitress said "Oh I had to go downstairs and get it""" What a joke.

We did request to speak to the manager....my husband told him we would be at the pool the ones with McDonalds...shouldn't of been hard to spot. I was drinking my coffee said hello to him and he totally ignored me as if I was speaking to myself. I really don't think he wanted to hear anything from us.

Then they have a girl who walks around in circles...doing what. I think trying to look like she is busy and doing nothing. Someones orange juice carafe that was served by the pool area at noon was still in the same spot at 11 pm when the pool closed. Oh the same ketchup spot on the table outside from the day before.

It is soooo apparent they are lacking staff. One guy is the bartender, order taker, and server. Hope they don't ever get too busy!!! I can't even describe how bad it was.

I just can't beleive how bad...really really a shame since it is so pretty. Already in bankruptcy and they just don't get it. At 11 pm the pool closes and that is fine but were very rude about it. turn the pool lights off and people will get the message. hire me and I'll wip them into shape...WORK PEOPLE don't just LOOK busy!!! every one lazy maybe they hate the job they have..it sure seems that way.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank FloridaTravelgurl
profstaff, Manager at Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration, responded to this review, July 10, 2009
Mona Lisa Suite Hotel Management and Team Members strive everyday to provide the highest level of guest service, outstanding hotel accommodations and food and beverage offerings. We currently enjoy some of the highest ratings on the majority of interactive sites and that’s directly relative to previous guest experiences ONLY. We take all guest comments seriously and continuously make efforts to use any less than perfect reviews as training and coaching opportunities for our staff and management. We are currently adding team members to our staff in order to better service our guests and we can assure you that the proper tiime and effort will be given to provide the best training possible so that the unpleasant experience that you encountered will not happen to future guests. This does not change your experience however, and we do apologize.
Again, our Mona Lisa Suite Hotel Team Members are always looking at ways to enhance our guest’s experience at our hotel and while we did not meet your expectations on your most recent stay with us we sincerely hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to provide the outstanding accommodations and guest service that we know is possible. We look forward to seeing you again!
Winter Springs, Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Our family was visiting from Ohio and where staying there for a few days. We decided to stay a night. If you want to get away from all the hustle of Disney ybut still be close this is the place to stay. You are close to stores and resturants. This is a great hotel and very relaxing. We had to change room as the air was not working in our room. This took just a short time. We also notice that the carpet has some stains in both rooms. With this hotel just being open about a year I would think this is something that would be taken care of as the carpet is light. We did get something to eat at the bar. Just wanted to relax with a glass of wine and appetizer. They did not have any type of appetizer. Wine was good. Ate breakfast on the second floor. A little pricy but was good. Waiter was very good and made sure our coffee cup was never empy. I would stay here again. Great hotel and the price was right.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Houston
Reviewed June 8, 2009

We just returned from the Mona Lisa yesterday. We were there for 4 nights and stayed on the ground floor facing the pool. Immediately upon arriving to the hotel I was disappointed and felt hoodwinked by my usually trusty Trip Advisor ratings. I don't know who has been reviewing this property (management perhaps) and grading it with 5-Star ratings but they must have never stayed at an actual 5-Star hotel before. I was very disappointed with this hotel/motel. It is truly a spruced-up motel from the cheap furniture to the soiled and equally cheap carpet (for a hotel that is only a year old I would expect at least a clean carpet). I do agree with previous reviewers that the rooms were very dark but I thought the reviewers meant "sexy dark". I was very wrong. It was dark because the bulbs were all 25 watt fluorescent low energy use bulbs. The lighting was fluorescent green and made everything look kind of depressing. Additionally the bed was uncomfortable and I had a neck ache for 5 days.

You are required to pay 15 extra dollars/day for traditional maid service. Otherwise they just make your bed and fold your towels. The feature that attracted us was the kitchen, however it was so meagerly equipped we had to be very creative to make it work. Our wash towels served triple-duty as paper towels, dishrags, and napkins. And since we didn't want to pay another $15 on top of the $20/day resort fee we were stuck with dirty towels for 2 days until we requested fresh ones. There also are no sheets or blankets for the pullout but by midnight when you finally pull it out, exhausted from a long day at Disney, and notice there is no bedding you have to wait an hour for the staff to bring it to you.

We did like the shuttle service as we were the last to be picked up and first to be dropped off. The pool was very nice as well. The gym is at a hospital in the area so we didn't get an opportunity to try it out. Yet the staff was very nice and the drinks and flatbread artichoke appetizer were very good and a nice end to a long day. But all in all we would stay at Disney next time even though it is a lot more expensive.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank KTwoPhilly
profstaff, Manager at Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration, responded to this review, June 10, 2009
Thank you very much for your recent review of our new hotel. We take all guest comments seriously and continuously make efforts to use any less than perfect reviews as training and coaching opportunities for our staff and management. Mona Lisa Suite Hotel Management and Team Members strive everyday to provide the highest level of guest service, outstanding hotel accommodations and food and beverage offerings. We currently enjoy some of the highest ratings on the majority of interactive sites and that’s directly relative to previous guest experiences ONLY. Our star rating is decided by our partner’s evaluation and not that of the management team.
We thank you for your comments regarding the daily resort fee that is charged at Mona Lisa Suite Hotel. Our resort charge is $12 daily and NOT $20. We apologize for any surprise or inconvenience this may have caused you during your recent stay with us. Yes, we do have this charge and it is our understanding that all of our distribution partners disclose this charge in their communication to customers prior to confirming a booking. To eliminate any confusion our management will review and double check with our partners. Like many of the hotels in our area and those of our quality of product, we charge a daily resort fee. However, if you compare our inclusions to those of our competitors you will be delighted to see that Mona’s charge has tremendous value for our guests. Our $12 daily resort charge includes: Daily bottled water and in room coffee and tea packets, daily newspaper including weekends, complimentary local, credit card and toll free telephone calls, wireless internet, access to Celebration Fitness Center, a bucket of range balls at Celebration Golf Club, transportation within the town of Celebration and transportation to “all” area theme parks.
The staff and management of the hotel has taken an environmentally conscious approach and have been successful in achieving our First Palm Designation in the “Florida Green Lodging” program. Because of our commitment to this program and the future of our planet we do use low energy bulbs, we limit our housekeeping services in some areas and we practice recycling and energy efficient methods throughout the hotel. Some of your experience may be related to this and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have created for you and your family during your stay.
Mona Lisa Suite Hotel is a condo hotel, and unlike most self catering accommodations we do provide a daily service which includes beds made, towels exchanged and trash removal. A final clean is included upon checkout and we do offer full housekeeping for our guests who prefer this service at a nominal charge. Our beds have been touted as some of the most comfortable and luxurious that many of our guests have experienced. Again, at times one’s comfort level is strictly personal and we apologize that we did not meet your expectations in this area.
We appreciate all comments from our guests and look for future visits with them to demonstrate the importance of guest suggestions and reviews. We hope to see you soon at Mona Lisa Suite Hotel in Celebration(Orlando), Florida!
Netherlands
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Stayed at the hotel for 6 days. Super value for money, very modern rooms, nice pool. Close to all the parks. Would recomend to anyone. Also nice focus design, gives the hotel a more buoutique flavor opposed to the standard chain hotels.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
delaware
Reviewed May 15, 2009

My husband and I stayed in a 1 bedroom suite for 5 nights beginning May 2nd.

Location - I was familiar with the location of the hotel because we travel to the Orlando area at least once a year. It sits right on 192, although the entrance is off a side street. The sign at the entrance is a construction type sign and is not well lit (we arrived at night) so I did miss it the first time by. An easy U-turn and we were back on track. Every resort on 192 is close to lots of dining options, drugstores, grocery stores and exits to the attractions. I found the location to be just as easy as the other resorts we've stayed at off 192 or S. International Drive.

Room - We paid $139 a night for a 1 bedroom suite. We had an exterior view of the parking lot and 192. I didn't find road noise to be any problem. It was nice to have a balcony. I thought the layout of the corner kitchen was an efficient use of space. There was a small dishwasher, full size fridge, microwave and a flat cooktop. A small amount of dishes were provided. We didn't cook in since we were traveling without children this time and we were looking forward to lots of meals out. Everything was lit with CFL lightbulbs which I was impressed with. They also had recycling bins under the kitchen sink. My husband and I are both a bit of greenies. The size was very comfortable but might be close quarters if you used the pull out couch for kids, but still do-able. I don't remember how much more it would be for a 2 bedroom? There was a small washer/drier combined unit. We considered washing a small load just to see how that worked but didn't. The bathroom did not lay out the same as the pics on the website. We did not have a separate glass shower and tub. It was a tub/shower combined. Maybe the separates are in the 2 bedroom units. None the less, the bathroom was more spacious than average and had a n entrace from the living area and the bedroom.

Pool - We spent one afternoon at the pool and had it almost to ourselves the whole time. Maybe 3 other couples came and went. The staff mentioned that the hotel had been very full a few weeks prior during the spring break season. I loved feeling like we almost had the place to ourselves. The pool furniture was stylish and comfortable. I worried that because the pool sat inside the center of the hotel that there would be a lack of breeze but that was not the case. The zero entry feature was nice. We laid down with our heads propped against the side of the pool with just enough water to cover us. A wonderful, relaxing afternoon. We ordered lunch from the restaurant and they were even nice enough to bring it out to us when it was ready. I don't think that would be normal service.

Staff- The staff was very friendly and prevalent. There always seemed to be someone who looked like management touring around the property and checkin to see that things were as they should be. Everyone from the bartenders, to front desk to the cleaning staff were genuinely friendly.

My husband is a creature of comfort and was a little hesitant to stay somewhere new when we have places we are familiar with and enjoy. He left the resort very impressed and raving.

The thing it lacks is a fun kid pool. There are no sprinklers or water slides. No kiddie playground. Regardless I'd feel totally comfortable bringing my kids there (2 & 6) Especially at a time when the resort is less crowded.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celebration
Bohemian Hotel Celebration, Autograph Collection
#25 of 338 in Orlando
Villas of Grand Cypress
Villas of Grand Cypress
#1 of 338 in Orlando

Been to Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration? Share your experiences!