“How the mighty have fallen” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Columbia Restaurant

Columbia Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Columbia Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 34 Restaurants in Celebration
Cuisines: Spanish, Cuban
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Front St. & Sycamore St.
Description: Family-owned and operated for more than 112 years, Columbia has earned acclaim for its old-world charm and award-winning Spanish/Cuban cuisine and wine list. Join us for century-old family recipes like Paella "a la Valenciana," Filet Mignon "Columbia," and fresh seafood specialties. Don't miss Columbia's Original "1905" Salad(R), prepared tableside with our delicious, freshly-made dressing, a 100-year-old family recipe of fresh garlic, oregano, wine vinegar and Spanish extra virgin olive oil. Be sure to sample a fine Spanish wine like Montecillo or Campillo. Relax outdoors in our cafe or courtyard, or inside our Tapas Bar or Mediterranean-style dining rooms filled with hand-painted tiles and family heirlooms. Casual attire is fine, but we don't allow sleeveless shirts on men. We are a sister to the Columbia in Tampa's Ybor City, founded in 1905. Children's menu available. Open 365-days a year, including all holidays.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“How the mighty have fallen”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Used to be one of best meals in central FL. Come for spring training and savor gambas and black bean cakes for appetizers, sip ur sangria, and then have wonderful paella redolent of saffron and perfectly cooked, all the while attended by conscientious service.
Well, at least black bean cakes made it to Celebration. Unfortunately, the service was inattentive, paella took an hour to receive, and shows up runny, improperly browned, horribly over salted, and no hint of saffron. This was like fast food idea of paella without the speed. Sangria has also dropped several notches. Meanwhile maitre d hovers and wonders why people sitting at table so long. And, they weren't even busy when we arrived.
We've been all over Spain. This place would only be competitive on the greasy spoon level there.

1 Thank RetiredNLuvinIt_11
guestservices1905, Public Relations Manager at Columbia Restaurant, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
We always like to hear from guests who have visited us before. I am so sorry that we let you down so badly when you returned to dine with us. We pride ourselves on serving a great meal, but this did not happen on your visit. There is no excuse for this, and we thank you for pointing out our many mistakes so we can share your comments with our chef and make sure that these mistakes are corrected.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Orlando, Florida
“Not what it once was”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

We recently dined at Columbia for the first time in a couple years. Unfortunately they now seem to be trading more on reputation than reality. In particular, the service was abysmal from the hostess at the front to the server. Indifference seemed to be a core value. The food was also not to the quality we've come to expect from dining here over the years. It was inconsistently prepared with the roast pork being incredibly dry.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rhinodad
We never want to read that we let our guests down, and I am sorry you were not greeted with a welcoming attitude by the hostess and that you were served a meal that you did not enjoy. We read all comments here, good and bad, and will share your comments with our general manager to make sure these mistakes are not repeated.
Midlothian, Virginia
“Great Cuban Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We found this gem while vacationing in central Florida last year and had to go back. My wife ordered the salmon, while I had the grouper and both were fantastic. Our waiter was very friendly and the atmosphere is fantastic.

• Visited February 2013
Monroe, Connecticut
“Pretty good but good thing I was on a diet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I badly wanted to pay a visit to this restaurant from the moment I heard it carried faithful, Cuban and Spanish cuisine and for the most part, it didn't disappoint.

Ambiance is great. It has sort of an old Cuban colonial house decor though it wasn't as fancy as I thought it would be (the St. Augustine Lightner museum has spoiled me I guess).

Since I'm currently on a strict diet, I ordered their most popular salad (has a year number, can't recall it) and it was a very good one. It had plenty of lemon and Worcestershire sauce which made it more acidic that my usual salad fare, yet it was tasty enough for me to finish it all.

I also had two tapas (appetizers), one being the spinach-stuffed mushrooms (good, as expected) and the mixed pinchos with chorizo which tasted well but had quite a sad food-to-price ratio.

The tapas' size was the only problem I encountered. For the regular appetizer price of $7-$10 you get a very paltry amount of food. The pinchos had exactly two chicken pieces, two grilled onions (or similar vegetable) and one piece of chorizo (which was stellar, but geez, just one?). You get two mini-pinchos for a regular appetizer price. At least with the mushrooms we got 5 of them.

Come on, how expensive is it to make chicken, vegetable and chorizo pinchos? I would understand if it was something far more pricey and/or rare, but with just one measly piece of chorizo, I had to make sure I chewed it very slowly as to enjoy its fleeting existence.

If they had been more generous with the appetizers, I would have leaned closer to rating this establishment the big 5 stars, but they marked a noticeable, disappointing note. However, I liked the food and ambiance enough to give it another try at some other point. It doesn't hurt that its location is in a Stepford Wives-like portion of Celebration, which practically forces you to walk and relax.

For dessert, you may want to hop over to the nearby ice cream parlor. Yum!

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Orlando, Florida
“FAV restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants. I grew up in Tampa and as a child went to the original Columbia. Was so excited when they built one in Celebration. Since then I have been to this one many, many times. I seem to order the same thing every time, bowl of Spanish bean soup, 1905 salad and of course some sangria! YUM! My husband loves the chicken and yellow rice. Fun time to visit this restaurant is during the Christmas season when Celebration has all the decorations up and snow!

• Visited February 2013