“Great Place, but we had problems.”

Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Celebration
Atlanta, GA
“Great Place, but we had problems.”
Reviewed August 25, 2007

I must first say they fixed all problems we had. They have a lot of people staying there for free and we had problem with smoke smells in the rooms. They found us a room that was smoke free. They also gave us a free night for going through all the room changing. The rooms are great with the kitchens and jacuzzi.
I feel internet use should be free but they charge ;-(
We paid $233.00 per night for a one bed room deluxe suite.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank awilder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
NJ
Reviewed August 23, 2007

I am a timeshare owner and exchanged thru Interval Intl so we could spend a week at this resort.

We called the night of our arrival to advise that we would be arriving the following day in the a.m. Upon arrival, we were told the condo was not available as it had been rented out. We have been timeshare owners for 20+ years and never ran into this kind of situation. The front desk clerk apologized and asked us to wait as the Manager was in a meeting. About 15 minutes later, they arranged for us to stay in another condo and gave us the keys.

The condo was in good condition except that the kitchen area was very limited when it came to appliances available for use. We did not have a vacumn cleaner and were told that we could borrow one for 45 minutes. The vacumn that was brought was crappy. When they came to pick it up, they told us they would fix it and they would bring it back to us. I have allergies to dust therefore, I did not enjoy my stay. I personally swept the unit as we were expecting a guest.

Another thing that really didn't make any sense was that guest owners had to pay fees for activities like basketball & using tennis courts. Also, fees for organized activities like karaoke. One of the reasons I purchased timeshare was to take advantage of the scheduled activities. At this place, the only thing I used was the outdoor pool on 1 occasion. There are not enough pools for the amount of condo buildings they have at this place. The pools are always crowded.

Dissappointed from NJ

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Not enough pools for amount of guests & ridiculous activity fees
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank NjLule
Walpole
Reviewed August 11, 2007

My family and I stayed here in March of 2007. We booked our stay through Interval and traded a week for a stay in Fla. I don't know if this helps avoid the timeshare sales folks, but we had zero problem with any sales pressure. After reading all other reviews I was somewhat concerned with this. Check in was very smooth. Arrived early and they accomodated by letting us check in early and get our room quickly. Place was very clean and spacious. Accommodated all 7 in our party with no problem. This is not a hotel and you do have to clean and straighten your own room. We asked for extra pillows and they were delivered immediately. Pools were nice and kids had a great time. Very close to all the amusement parks: 10 minutes to Disney and around 20-30 to Universal. Golf course was fantastic unlike my golf round. We were not in the brand new units, but they were still very well equipped. TV was not that great but who has time to watch TV? Overall stay was great and I would definintely recommend Mystic Dunes.

• Liked — Proximity to Amusement parks.
  • Disliked — Internet access fee.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank obeez
RIVERDALE, GA
Reviewed August 10, 2007

Mystic Dunes Resort and Golf is a family oriented property. If you prefer a romantic and peaceful place, this resort is not for you.

My sister and I and our three teenage kids had an excellent week stay. We stayed in Bldg. 27 (kiddy pool) staff were courteous and always greeted us with a smile.

Upon our arrival we found trash outside our two bdrm villa door and during our walk through villa had a vacant odor; nothing Lysol couldn’t fix.
Minor repairs reported and repaired same day (guest bdrm red carpet stain, kitchen stove left leg needed adjusting caused oven door to flush against drawer ajar,
mstr bdrm patio door lock wouldn’t catch). Encountered some days outdoor noise factor; kids being kids. After all, it is their vacation as well.

Well equipped kitchen from courtesy cleaning supplies to measuring bowl.
Please note if you break a dish you must pay for replacement. Of course, we brought our own.

Property grounds well kept and privacy outstanding. Kids under 18 have to be accompanied by an adult while on property.

Easy access to US 192 (I refer to it as The Strip) has endless shops (Levis), restaurants (McDonalds-Burger King-Wendy’s-Olive Garden-Ponderosa-Krispy Kreme Doughnuts), family entertainment (AMF Bowling), grocery stores (Sam’s Club-Wal-Mart Supercenter 20 min. or SR 535 Wal-Mart Supercenter 10min. drive), gas stations, I-4, Orlando Airport, Disney/World Dr., Animal Kingdom, Epcot Center, Sea World, Universal and Island of Adventure, Downtown Disney all are minutes from the resort.

• Liked — SCENERY
  • Disliked — TRASH OUTSIDE SUITE AND MINIOR REPAIRS
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank LOTES
Florida
Reviewed August 10, 2007

The entrance to this resort is beautiful and actually had my wife and I excited. However, the check-in was just ridiculus. They have this little check-in counter (not a lobby) where you check in and then you wait for someone to take you to your suite. He or she is suppose to be there to assist you finding your suite, making sure your room is appropriate and to answer any questions or at least that's what they tell you. Of course, it is just a hard sell to come see their presentation to sell you a timeshare. Well, the electronic keys they gave us did not work so the guy just proceeded to ask us how long we would be staying and what our plans were and then "oh by the way, come see what we are all about and get some free stuff". When I politely said no thank you and then rudely no thank you AGAIN, he told me that I would need to go back myself to the "check in" desk to get new keys. Apparently he was not happy with me not wanting to go to the sales meeting. That key worked but when we opened the door, IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE'S ROOM!!! I went to the check in AGAIN and complained and asked to speak to management to voice my complaints about everything and they did not care at all. They gave me new cards and said "Sorry about that". The room was dated and in need of several repairs. The beds slept horribly as the mattresses were worse than most dorm rooms and I am not exagerating. The golf course was however absolutely beautiful and was the highlight for me. I have stayed at many hotels and resorts. I have never written any review for any of them as I am now, however I felt compelled this time. I would not recommend this resort to a friend especially as it is rated 5 star Interval International Resort and quiet frankly is no better than a 2 1/2 or 3 star hotel when looking at the room, lobby and service. The pool and grounds were beautiful but this resort is simply older and not well maintained. If you can get it really cheap then go for it, otherwise I would pass.
D. Brooks
Pensacola, FL

• Liked — The golf was first class
  • Disliked — The staff did not care about you at ALL and the room needed repairs and was dated
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
10 Thank micknminni
Winnipeg
Reviewed August 4, 2007

Hello Trip Advisor Members,

I have seen lots of good and bad reviews of the Mystic Dunes Resort.

My wife and I were originally quite worried about staying at this timeshare resort, however, it turns out to be quite nice. I am writting this review while I'm here so as not forget anything.

There is a lot of upside and some downside to the Mystic Dunes.

I have appreciated all the wonderful reviews that other members have given me in the past so I will try and be as detailed in my description to help you.

Here are the upsides:

1.) We stayed in a one bedroom condo unit in one of the 2 new buildings. It was very very clean and WELL equipped for a 2 week stay. All the appliances such as washer/dryer, oven, microwave were very clean and good quality.

It was very nice to be able to wash clothes and towels especially when visiting the theme parks on hot days. The condo units are truelly a home away from home.

2.) The Dunes Lagoon pool is quite nice but small.

3.) The poolside bar at the Dunes Lagoon is a great place to have a drink and sit in the shade.

**TIP** If you choose to eat the Kenzie's steakhouse that is on premise you can go to the Dune Lagoon bar a ask for a 20% off coupon to Kenzies.

4.) The Mystic Dunes grounds really are immaculately cared for so it is a great place to walk day and night.

5.) Mystic Dunes IS literally 5 minutes from Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM and Animal Kingdom.

6.) You are about 15 minutes from Universal Studios.

7.) You are about 15 minutes from International Drive with all the fun and funky restaurants.

8.) Even though Mystic Dunes is a large resort they do have a free "golf cart" courtesy shuttle service that you call and they will take you anywhere on the resort quickly.

Here are the downsides that I experienced:

1.) If you are not on the top level condo's you will find it slightly noisy from people staying above you. All condos have tile floors throughout so you hear it when people move the kitchen chairs around in the condos above.

2.) I agree with other Trip Advisor members that stayed at Mystic Dunes that there are way too many "free" people that stay here. Since it is a timeshare facility so they are constantly showing condos and trying to sell people timeshares.

** TIP** IF they do ask you about timeshares tell them you are an "owner" and they will never ask you again.

Because Mystic Dunes gives away so many "free" stays it does attract a lot of undesirables. We experienced a trunk party in the parking lot and basketball game on the second floor of our building that went on for 2 hours and some pretty rude people.

3.) Can be loud because of the "free" guests. You will find the people who pay to be at Mystic are quite respectful and quiet.

4.) The staff is quite mediocre. You cannot expect 5 star hotel treatment here. They are very relaxed about everything so little things like cashing travellers cheques and getting keys remagnitized can become an hour long outting when it should only take 5 minutes.

My wife and I just chalked it up to "good help is hard to find".

Summary:

Mystic Dunes is nice and the condo units they give you are nice. If you are a paying customer like me then you will surely get a nice condo. The complaining people on here i believe are the "free" stayers.

If you are looking for quiet and romantic this is not the place. It can be loud and if you are like me you would not appreciate the late night noise from the "free" guests.

It's really hard to say if i would recommend Mystic Dunes. The location is great and the condos are great, but the noise from the "free" guests can be unerving.

I give it an Average rating since it's both good and bad.

I my review helps you.

• Liked — Location to attractions
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
16 Thank Kerjner
Texas
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We booked our stay through the "See and Do" promotional website which allows you to stay on the property at a huge discount for a 90 minute tour.

When we first walked into the condo (villa), we noticed the sliding closet door was off-track. I called maintenance, and they came to fix it with an hour or so. Even though the first night, I heard noises in the walls of the ceiling (we were on the 4th floor), which I believe were field mice because mystic dunes is situated on several acres; I reported it to the front desk. I requested a room within the same building, if possible. The lady that handles room reservations immediately moved us to another room within the same building. We had no further problems during our stay. So those people who are complaining about poor service might have gone about requesting service the incorrect way.

I realized at check-in that some of the buildings are not close to the pools and buildings that offer amenities (which is good for those people who do not want to be disturbed), so I looked at a map of the property and requested a room within several buildings. They were able to give me building 18, one of my requests, near the front of the property with a super view of the pool.

Because Mystic Dunes is a condo-type of resort, there is no room service. You are expected to perform your own up-keep during your stay...that's why there is a washer and dryer in your condo. We had more than enough towels. If travelers cannot get room service to respond quickly, then drive to the front desk and ask for them in person?

You have the option of a one, two, or three bedroom villa. The three-bedrooms are awesome and have two living areas and two kitchen areas. This would be awesome for two families to split the cost. There are two sofa beds in the three bedrooms and double beds in two of the rooms. As you can see from travelers' photos, the master suite has a king bed.

Whereever you stay, there might be offensive guests. Some people have no respect for themselves, as well as others. If the guests get too offensive at a pool area...well there are several other pool areas, and you can also visit the pool at a later time if security is lacking in taking care of the problem. There might be what your would call "some undesirables" staying at the resort, but you are not there to socialize with them anyway. One guest began talking to me when I was loading up my car to leave. He had a beer in his hand, which might be offensive to some people; however, I just thought how sad for his wife that he was drinking so early in the morning. Turns out, he was divorced and had brought his son and daughter to Disney World. Sure he has some problems, but he had driven all the way from Arizona to bring his kids on vacation. I just hope he was not drinking and driving.

The property is situated right dab in the middle of all the attractions. You only have a short drive, no more than 15-20 minutes to get to Disney, etc depending on the time of day you leave to go.

As for the tour...expect the salespeople to be aggressive. They are trying to make a sale. If you are adamant that you do not want to purchase, they will cut the sales pitch short. Do not give them any indication that you are interested in any way, or they will go on and on. Be firm that you do not want to purchase, and it will last no longer than 90 minutes. Acting bored is the key.

Take the entire family on the tour. They provide golf carts for everyone. They also give everyone in your group a free meal prior to the tour. The day we took the tour, the meal was swedish meatballs, rice w/w-o gravy, salad, rolls, and a drink. It is buffet-style, and you can go back as many times as you like. I noticed several kids did.

Overall, Mystic Dunes is a great place to stay w/w-o your family. I saw several couples taking the tour and many extended families. Maybe it's not a 5-star place, but it sure is a 4+++. If there are any problems like I've seen in some of the photos, just tell the front desk. They will either move you or send someone in right away to take care of the problem.

Have a great stay and remember all my tips!

• Liked — Many amenities
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank MookiesGirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celebration
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
#24 of 152 in Kissimmee
Grande Villas Resort
Grande Villas Resort
#3 of 18 in Orlando

Been to Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!