“Stay Away Emphatically”

Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Celebration
“Stay Away Emphatically”
Reviewed January 19, 2006

First they lost our reservations. When we showed up and gave them our confirmation numbers, they did not acknowledge. We were then given a suite that didn't fit our needs
Then we had left our rooms locked, but new clothing purchased as gifts were left in the drawers. The newly purchased items were stolen, obviously by personnel of the Resort.
After 3 weeks we were given nothing but a runaround by the Wyndham management team. Finally they just told us that nothing could or would be done to reimburse us for the $58.00 dollars worth of stolen merchandise.
Breakfast was served so far away you had to drive there, and it was horrible. Worse by far than the typical continental breakfast you get at Comfort Inn or Hampton Inn.
Staff at the pool and tennis courts were very rude.
I was told by other people there that the time shares sales were ruthless and extreme high pressure.
Stay away from all Wyndham Resorts- they are high priced and not as good as much cheaper suite chains.

• Stayed December 2005
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (725)
Reviewed December 31, 2005

The time share presentation was supposed to be 90 minutes, and it turned out to be over 3 hours. The salesman was very good at shadowing calculations. My wife and I very respectfully and professionaly explained to the sales rep, on more than three instances during the presentation that we would not buy anything off-the-cuff, as we never have. Not only did their figures NOT make reasonable sense, but when the rep was done with his part, which took over two and a half hours, THREE more high pressure closers (each at seperate intervals) came to us and kept asking "Why won't you buy? Whats keeping you from buying?" It felt like we were being held hostage! I already explained to them we were NOT going to buy. It almost turned ugly! It ruined our day both emotionally and time wise. My advice to you is to stay away from this place!

• Stayed December 2005
13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bradford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 27, 2005

My husband and I stayed for one night (Dec 2005). This is our experience:

1. (-) They are going through construction so there check-in area is basically a (decorated) job trailer and small. The checkin process took awhile and in the 20-30 minutes I was there 3 different families came in with issues (ranging from maintenance issues to bad room assignment based on # of people and children to cockroaches). The manager handled all these complaints courteously and efficiently but I came out with the 'feeling' no one was looking at the big picture-just 'dealing' with complaints.
2. Your satisfaction with your stay will be dependant upon which building you get assigned. My take-the buildings closest to the entrance are the oldest and in poorest shape while (respectively) the farther in you drive the better the facilities. We stayed in building 31 (rm 31614). This is a brand new building and was immaculate. They layout is very nice and the furnishing up-scale (leather couch, washer/dryer, hot tub in BR, double tiled shower, etc.) It was so new that they were still putting in the pool and the entire front was dirt. I definately would ask for a room up high as I would NOT want to have been near the ground floor. The construction guys started at 7:00 and worked very closely to the rooms. Also it looked like they were putting in part of the gulf course in the back with large equipment working. This didn't bother us though.
3. (+) The place is HUGE. They have diverse activities (free bikes, tennis, ping/pong, basketball tournement, etc.) and if I had brought my 2 children (12 and 14) they would have LOVED it there. Although we were using it like a hotel ($189 travelocity) it is a time share. We felt no pressure and were not asked to purchase (which was NICE).
4. (-) Because it isn't a hotel the room did not have shampoo, lotion, etc. Not that big of a deal as I had backup but something to note.
5. - BIG NEGATIVE - They only had Internet dial-up. No wireless, No high-speed cable. Brand new hotel and NO INTERNET CONNECTIVITY - what were you thinking (again big picture thing). When I asked the manager he advised they would have wireless in 2006.
6. (+) Free (continental) breakfast by the pool. (-) No indoor seating - no matter the weather condition. I would skip it.
7. As I mentioned above (#1) a couple came in to complain about maintenance. Towards this our hot tub (in the bedroom!) jets came on intermitently from 9:00pm-12:30. It sounded like a jet was landing in the room. When I called to get maintenance regarding the problem the women I spoke with advised "We have had people complain about that before". The maintenance staff advised we should let the jets run for 10 or so minutes - something about a sensor thinking there was water in the tub and running the jets dried up the water? Why are they NOT having the hot tub contractor/manufacturer address this - big picture thing again. Insider tip - Maintenance leaves at 12:00 midnight. Maintenance leaves at 12:00 midnight.
8. Overall its a nice resort but service is not up to par and you get a feeling that its a top down management issue.

25 Thank Magabi
Reviewed December 27, 2005

I've been on several timeshare presentations, and I generally know what to expect. But my experience at Wyndham Palms was a first. Resorting to tears was the only way I could get out of there. I think they would have kept me there all day, otherwise. Pressure, pressure, and more pressure. And verbal abuse. It was terrible. If you are considering becoming a timeshare owner, stay away from this place.

Stayed September 2005
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 20, 2005

My family and I stayed at Wyndham Palms 11/4 thru 11/11, 2005. The stay was exceptional until they tried to sell me an upgrade to my existing time share plan. The hard sell tactics could have ruined my whole vacation had I let it. They do not know how to take no for an answer and I felt badgered by the sales manager when I left.

Wyndham Palms has so much to offer with its beautiful grounds, condos and swimming pools. Why ruin it with high pressure sales tactics?

• Stayed November 2005
22 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed November 17, 2005

Actual room is quite nice. Bed is average with below average linens.

They didn't provide towels or toiletries. Stated that it's not their policy (though Wyndham actually advertises the toiletries!). Finally they brought some shampoo and pool-area quality towels.

Be aware, they don't provide housekeeping (e.g. fresh towels or linens).

Final straw, they tried to overcharge me $23/night at checkout. Check your invoice!

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
19 Thank cliff_rock
Reviewed November 14, 2005

Not owners of any TimeShare but have been to presentations over the past few years. Signed up to stay for 5 days knowing we would have to take "the Tour" in order to stay for such a great price (referral from a friend price).
Clean and spacious. No DVD player, no high speed internet. Carpets in rooms looked fairly clean, but could have been cleaner. Comfortable rooms. Adequate kitchen. Did not have time to utilize the pools and other things, spent all days going to Disney. Very close to Disney. Easy access. Highway construction was not good, though.
They do deliver "some" groceries, if needed. We needed some bread and ketchup. They charged $2.50 for ketchup packets that you get at fast food places. Called to complain and they said, "That's what we charge". Complained to front desk and sales people. They apologized, but said that it was not their department.
Overall, the stay was great for the price, but only average if I paid full price.

• Stayed November 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celebration
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
#25 of 152 in Kissimmee
Grande Villas Resort
Grande Villas Resort
#3 of 20 in Orlando

Been to Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!