“Great place to stay”

Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Celebration
Reviewed April 17, 2014

I was very concerned by some of the reviews but when we arrived, everything was fine. From the person at the gate to reception, service was great. The room was a one bedroom deluxe and it was perfect. We have been to orlando many many times but usually stayed at the marriott. Overall, I would give mystic dunes at 10 rating. I am truly not sure where I could even give it a negative review. I would definitely rent from mystic dunes again, we also love golfing and we golf here three times out of the eight games just because it was so convenient. Didn't use the kitchen as we were chillin but loved the idea I could do laundry. Excellent place, very clean, feels like home.

Room Tip: So convenient to everywhere, if you have a car. Perfect drive to everything you would need and feels...
4  Thank Mocha M
There are newer reviews for Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club

Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

If you are used to staying in nice hotels/resorts, DON NOT STAY HERE! We arrived around 11am and proceeded to the front desk. We told them we wanted an updated
They said it would be a while before we could get a room. We said no problem. We went to the pool and relaxed all day. When we got to our room we were shocked. The unit was very dirty. The carpets weren't vacuumed. The couch in LR was covered in dirt. I called front desk to complain...they were too busy to talk to me! So I went down to front desk to complain. They said sorry. I said the room was unacceptable. The dining chairs were rusty and looked like they were from a garage sale from 1970. To make a long story short, they vacuumed the carpet and we stayed. The deck had a view of overgrown, dirty trees and smelled like an ashtray. Today we found out that only Diamond owners get updated rooms. I am guessing Interval doesn't know that?

Went minigolfing. Course was the worst I have ever seen.

Turns out this resort was in foreclosure before being bought by new investors. They have only redone a small number of rooms. I would stay at the Polynesian aisles resort. It is very nice.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
10  Thank icgaholic
Reviewed April 16, 2014

My wife and I ran away from winter in Canada and decided as Diamond owners to try Mystic, one of the more recently acquired properties. Prior to arrival I was in couch with a VIP Concierge staff member and when we arrived, she met us at the new VIP Concierge check in. A very fast and efficient check in. I'd asked if she could arrange for the icemaker to be turned on prior to arrival and that happened. Beautiful 2 BR suite with an ensuite bathroom which was bigger than our bedroom at home. Mostly well appointed kitchen. Great golf course on site. Only minor problems, no cutting board in the kitchen and staff were unable to supply one. Also no drink coasters which as an "owner" is disappointing as Stephen Cloobeck encourages Diamond members to think of Diamond resorts as home - furniture is too nice to get damaged that way. Great beds and facilities. I would say that Mystic is a bit large which takes away some of the homey feel you get at some places. They do provide a free golf cart shuttle that will take you to the restaurant and other places. Overall, a great job and the staff are definitely up to Diamond standard. I've stayed at Disney resorts with friends and I have the view that in a lot of ways Disney is the Gold Standard. Well Mystic is pretty much there!

1  Thank Petermac-red
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I havent heard the greatest things about Diamond Resorts...but on an RCI exchange we stayed at their resort in Sedona AZ and the condos and staff were first rate. So gave this a try . It is like comparing the Four Seasons to a motel 6. The property is beautiful...and huge as are the villas. However most are old and in dire need of a makeover. The curtians in the bedroom were hung crookedly and not just a little ...they were more then a half foot off. The staff appeared bored and some were down right rude. The exception...the staff at the restaurant at the golf course....and the food was actually very good. The make a bbq chicken pizza that is wonderful...

The walls and ceilings are paper thin.. heard all the fights next door and it sounded like a herd of buffalo above us
The beds however were very comfortable

For as large as they are they need a couple of more pools and more then 3 feet deep.

Room Tip: unless you are an owner ...you arent going to get a good room and even some of them werent happy
2  Thank chase92852
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I have to believe that a majority of the people giving this resort such bad reviews are people who are used to some sort of mega-resorts. As someone who typically stays in the cheapest hotel available on Expedia, I am usually impressed...My husband and I have stayed at this location multiple times, and have stayed in at least 3 different buildings that I can think of off the top of my head: 2 were refurbished, 1 was not - while it might have been outdated and not as pretty, it certainly wasn't "moldy", or falling apart by any means.

Pros: Diamond Resorts International booking staff has always been kind and helpful. While I'm sure it's just to encourage becoming an owner, the lady I dealt with most recently gave us a free upgrade from the Holiday Inn nearby to Mystic Dunes. (Long story as to how those two are related, but basically this happened because DRI gave us an option on a previous trip to buy a 4 night stay for $99 to be used at Holiday Inn in Orlando.)
The front desk staff has always been extremely friendly, and has always found somewhere to put us even though we have come to check in as early as 11:00 AM (check in is at 4:00).
Full kitchen! Bring your own food and save $$ in the parks.
The jacuzzi tub is my favorite part of the trip.
10 minutes from the Magic Kingdom.
Any room we have ever stayed in has been spotless, apart from one incident (below).

Cons:
The first time we stayed, we had a problem with "sugar ants" in the kitchen. They sent a pest control employee up to deal with this for us.
We have called the front desk to have something brought up to us (A bag of ice, the one time they put us in a room where the fridge didn't also have a freezer, and toothbrushes when we forgot them) and had to wait for about an hour for them to show up.
When we stayed last May, our room keys stopped working multiple times, so we had to go get replacements from the front desk. The same thing happened to the people we were sharing the lock-off (when one main door leads to two different suites) with, and unfortunately rather than be considerate and go to the front desk, they decided to ring our doorbell over and over again after people had already gone to bed.
No housekeeping (unless you want to pay a fee for it), so we had to take our own trash out.
Parking is super easy when theme parks are open. If you ever stay until theme park closing, or just late enough for the kids to have needed to come back to sleep, parking can be a nightmare.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the renovated buildings. (I believe they are numbers 31 & 32)
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elisabeth N
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We were met on arrival by an extremely upbeat lady at check in even though it was 4:30am. We were offered a reasonable rate for an upgrade and took it. We were given a two bedroom apartment in block 30 and it was spotlessly clean. It was well sized and well appointed, being close to the largest pool. Even returning back at night, we were always met by a cheery greeting by security. Located close to Disney and 192, makes it ideal for the parks and restaurants.

It exceeded our expectations in every respect. In their bid to meet your needs they provide pool towels, which are routinely left on sun beds by departing guests, giving the impression that us beds are in use when they are not. Confusion getting some late afternoon sun after a busy day. Overall, a fantastic holiday at a great resort.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank MrTubbyBear
Reviewed April 13, 2014

As Diamond Resort Owners we made a pre request for a refurbished room with a balcony, but got neither. Our 1 bedroomed unit was clean but dreary, made worse by the fact that the bedroom looked onto a walkway, and as there were no nets or blinds we had to keep the curtains shut all day long to maintain privacy.
We used the golf buggy on the first day to take us for a drink at Kenzies and waited about 15 minutes for it, but when we ordered buggy to take us back later we were told 5/10 minutes so we waited outside, but it was actually 50minutes before it came, so we didn't bother using it again.
On the plus side we found the food was good at Kenzies, and went to the Frank Sinatra evening and The Comedy evening and enjoyed both.
We booked part of our holiday at Mystic Dunes and the latter part at Grande Villas (another Diamond International Resort) at Lake Buena Vista just to ring the changes, and there was no comparison, Grande Villas was superior in every way.
So we wouldn't return as there are much better places to stay

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celebration
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
#27 of 154 in Kissimmee
Star Island Resort and Club
Star Island Resort and Club
#23 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!