“It was O.K.”

Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Celebration
Reviewed August 22, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Mystic Dunes the week of August 15. I was a bit nervous before I arrived because of some of the reviews I had read. I felt the hotel was not as bad as some of the reviews said, but I also had some problems with what I saw. First of all check in was not so great. Check in is located in a what looks like a mobile home and the staff was a bit rude. I called a few times before my visit for a bigger room and was told it could only be done when I arrived, but upon my arrival the staff told me I should have called before and it would have been done and then when I did not want to purchase discount park tickets through Greg the Interval Representative he became angry at me and my husband. Not a good first impression.
Our room was nice and comfortable. The floors could use a bit of cleaning and the bathroom, especially the shower needs a bit of updating.
The pool area and the grounds are beautiftul and my son loved the slide.
Overall our stay was pretty good, but I would not stay here again. I've stayed at and visited much nicer time share places.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mom0426

Reviewed August 19, 2008

We stayed there from August 8-15. We were very concerned about the place given some of the really horrible reviews this place was getting. We asked for a room in the newer buildings, but were told none were available. We were in building 17.

Then the resort has you wait for a someone to take you to your room, but it is really a mini timeshare pitch. We did not like that they did it late at night (10:00 PM) and we did not like that the salesperson dissed our Hawaii Marriott Timeshare. You don't make a sale that way.

We were pleasantly surprised by our 2 BR villa and the view we had. We had no problem with the thermostat per other reviews. We did have a problem which was that the dryer vent was not connected. Certainly a hazard. I called two times, but I had to make a visit to the maintenance desk to get it done. Once done it worked fine. The maintenance person was very nice and polite. There was a little mold like stuff in the master shower, they tried to clean it to no avail. I found the staff was generally courteous and the property neat and clean and well mancured. We were always greated by the people at the front gate with a little salute and smile which was nice.

The comments about the noisy rooms are true. From the reviews I thought it was from people screaming outside, but it seems to be the plumbing. When the people upstars flush it does make a lot of noise which can be attributed to the construction. This was not a big deal to us.

The Kenzie Steakhouse does call and leave a lot of voice mails to dine with them

We never used the pools or mini golfing since we were at the Parks so much. The resort is close to Disney, but probably not the Universal or Seaworld.

The tile floors could use one of those TV steam mops to get a deep cleaning, but otherwise they were clean. My white socks did get a little dirt on them - no big deal.

We had some friends book this place as Guests through Interval International and we did not want our friends to have a bad experience. Initially they were gievn two separate rooms: one for them and one for their daughter. One of the staff noticed this right away and got them the 2 BR Villa they were contracted for. They also got an older building (No 20) and got a better view than us (we were happy they got this view). They told us they really liked the place and "totally get the timeshare thing now".

I would stay there again without hesitation if the place came up as an option. I believe the overall review is fairly accurate as a 3.5 to 4.0 place.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank jkaiser
Reviewed August 2, 2008

Stayed at the Mystic Dunes in October 2007. We as a family were very impressed with the location and the apartment.
We had a two bedroom suite which was huge and big enough for five. The kids loved the pool area which was a short walk away.
There is so much to explore at the Mystic Dunes and we did'nt get the chance to see as much as we would have liked to.
You do need to hire a car to stay here though as its about a five minute drive till you get onto the main drag on the highway. Where you will find plenty of eating places and outlet stores. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Senga B
Reviewed July 31, 2008

when we arrived at mystic dunes we thought it looked very nice.

when we checked in and got to our room we were very disappointed ... whne we were getting off the elevator we had to step over bags of trah ...also the elevator door took about a min to close and the button to make it was broke...

we got to our room it looked very nice when we walked in.. but when we went in to the bathroom..the vanity light was hangin by wires .. in the kitchen the drawer next to the stove could not be opened with out first opening the oven door...next day we had the tour for the time share once again we had to step over garbage bags...we arrive for the tour and they ask how we liked it so far..we explained the problems they were very nice and said we will see about getting you a differnt room ..we said ok...so we went on our tour...we were very interested .. but we are not ones to jump right in to it so we asked if we could sleep on annd let them know in the morning well of course you the song and you wont get these prices tomorrow..so they sent over the manager and he tried with very high pressure to make us buy today..we explained we wanted to but needed to discuss it and we would let them know in the morning.. the gentle men was very rude at this point telling the other sales person to just check them out they are done.. when ask the about the problems in our room they then said there is nothing we can do for you.. all in all it shows there is no customer servive ...and they lost a sale all together..we went to wyndham had a great experince and bought thier product...just thought you would like to know our experince..thanks

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2008

We were hesitant about booking here because of all the other trip advisor reviews, but we wanted to book a quick interval getaway vacation, so we booked Mystic Dunes. First, let me share the positive. The property is kept in immaculate shape. The lawns are manicured, pools are clean, and there is an excellent golf course on grounds. We booked a two bedroom. The condo was clean and the whirpool was wonderful. The 47inch HD/DVD TV in the front room was wonderful. We were not pressured at all to go to a time share presentation or tour,(probably because we already own one in Maui, and we checked in late at night)
Now for the cons...There are far too few people working the front desk. We called to ask for wash clothes. It was very difficult to contact the front deak at all. It took repeated calls, and we finally got them after three days. The shower door in the master bathroom did not close and the water drained very slow. It took 1 day for engineering to come out. My husband had something in the oven. When he tried to take it out, the oven door would not open. It took 2 hours for engineering to come out to fix it. The water in our coffee maker boiled onto the counter. We requested another one, that took hours to replace. When housekeeping replaced it, the new one did turn on. Needless to say, I did not get coffee until the 3rd day of our vacation. When we did get one, it was left in a chair while we were out of the room, and the door was left open. It was next to impossible to contact the management. She was either in a meeting, off property, or just could not be reached. We spent the first three days waiting for her to call back and for various dept. tocome fix things. She did apologize and send us a fruit and cheese tray.She also comp'd our internet usage.
We ate at the restaurant on property once, for the Friday seafood buffet. The crab was toooo salty, the beef was tough, and the soup had very little seasoning and no taste. They automatically add in a 15% gratuity, even though there were only two of us. They told us this was what most of the other resorts were doing. Upon visiting other resorts, we did not find that to be true.
Upon checking out, we found that our internet usage had not been deducted. Needless to say, my husband had to find a manager to take it off.
We will probably not be staing here again; however if you have a family with kids, there are plenty activities for them. ie. pools, children activities, bike rentals, miniture golfs, etc...

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2008

my family and i , 13 of us altogether , stayed there for 2 weeks. it was my 3rd time in orlando but the 1st time for 6 of the others , and we all loved it at mystic dunes , the apartments were out of this world as were all the swimming pools, the location was excellent you were only a 10 minute drive to disney and a 2 minute drive to all the resturants on the 192 . You could see the fireworks from the magic kingdom from the balcony of our apartment. my family and i would definately stay at mystic dunes again . it gave my aunts, uncles and cousins and excellent experience for there 1 st time in florida! We all did not want to leave the luxury of mystic dunes.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank kazdotcom
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Our family of 5 stayed at this resort July 3 for 4 nights. We previously stayed there when it was called the Wyndham Palms Resort. We thought that it would be as lovely as the previous time. We were scheduled for a tour in exchange for the reduced price that we got for the 5 day 4 nights. The first check in took about 30 minutes, then we had to drive to the resort for the 2nd check in. Upon entering the building, we could see that the video rental machine was still out of order. When we visited 2 yrs ago, it was out of order. We were assigned to building 26 on the 3rd floor. Our unit must not had been occupied for a while because the shower head had a black mildew or fungus. My husband bought some bleach, poured it in a cup and soaked it. He also scrubbed the jacuzzi which had black gook in it. After all of my husband's hard work, I could not bring myself to get in that tub. The bottom molding around the tub was slightly mildewed also. I tried not to look at it so that I wouldn't get sick. The dish washer did not scrub the pots on the pot scrub cycle. This was even after I had soaked the pot. Everything else inside the unit was fine. The presentation was not good. They tell you that it will be 2 hrs. After 2 hrs and 33 minutes, one of the managers were trying to get us to committ to coming back in a year for over $1,200. NOT! We didn't like the fact that there wasn't a fitness room or more than one basketball court. This is truly a resort for golfers. My kids (14, 11, 5) are more interested in a playground and fitness machines. Overall, the resort is nice, but it just doesn't fit into our families' desire for ownership.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank bakeringa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celebration
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
Grande Villas Resort
Grande Villas Resort
#3 of 22 in Orlando
Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort

Been to Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!