“Mystic Dunes offers discounted theme park tickets, but there are strings attached!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club

Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Celebration
Rehoboth, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Once we had decided that Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club was where we wanted to stay, my husband had called to make reservations. He wanted to find out if they offered discounted tickets to area attractions. The person he spoke with, said that they did, but he would need to attend a sales presentation. My husband knew that I wouldn't want to go to the presentation so he had said to her that he would be the only one attending the presentation and she said, that would be fine. Once we had checked in, we had gone over to the concierge's desk. In other words, their sales desk. My husband had asked to speak with the woman he had spoken with on the phone regarding discounted theme park tickets that we were interested in. She had come out at one point and when my husband was mirroring back to her what she had agreed upon in regards to my husband being the only one that would be going to the presentation, she acted as though she didn't remember having that conversation with him! Really! She started backtracking and saying, Oh no. Both you and your wife have to attend the presentation, I was pissed and initially I didn't want to go, but I knew that if I didn't, we wouldn't get the discounted theme park tickets which when my husband did the math we would be saving over $200.00. When we made reservations for the presentation they offer to have someone pick you up the next day at your unit. We declined because we wanted to have some control over how long we were willing to stay. If you chose to have someone from the resort pick you up they can keep you there even longer than you want to be. So the following morning, we went over to the building where you check in for the conference and they paired us off with this older guy and he takes us over to the breakfast buffet that is free for tourists that chose to go to the sales presentation. This guy was going on about how great the breakfast buffet was, but we didn't think it was anything special! You would think that being Florida the orange juice would be really good, but my husband said to me, "I don't know what that is, but it isn't orange juice. Instead it was this watered down crap. Our son didn't like it either! If this guy could have wrapped everything up within an hour we would have been fine with that, but 2 1/2 hours later we were finally leaving the resort to begin our vacation. Ridiculous! These sales reps. will waste as much of your vacation time as you allow them to. They don't care! Despite the fact, that I was complaining to him about how we had just arrived the day before and we wanted to start our vacation. It didn't matter to him. He could have cared less! I think their logic in thinking is that if they can wear you down both physically and mentally that you will eventually cave. It didn't work with us! With the sales rep. that we had, at times he would say, "Oh this will be quick. I'll have you out of here in no time." This guy didn't know the meaning of quick! We didn't like the fact that he was lying to us. Every time we thought that we would be leaving, it was one more thing. At one point during the presentation, he lead us to this room to watch a movie about people's testimonials. For all we know these people could have been paid actors! We ended up walking out at one point because we felt enough of our time had been wasted and we had had it! So when we thought O.K. now we'll finally be leaving, the sales rep. sends over this guy with a clipboard who proceeds to start asking us questions from his questionaire so my husband says to him, "We have been here long enough and if we don't get the discounted theme park tickets how would you like it if I went on the internet and slammed this resort?" Needless to say, we got the discounted tickets and were finally leaving the resort around 11:30a.m. We had been at the sales presentation since 9:00 a.m. Never again! If we hadn't saved over $200.00 on the discounted tickets it wouldn't have been worth it! If Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club were to offer discounted theme park tickets with no strings attached, that would be one thing, but they don't! On a positive note, when we first came into the unit we were staying in, we were surprized at how nice it was. Granted the furniture was a bit outdated, but, it was more important to us that it was pretty clean. It had a full kitchen with a refrigerator, stove, coffee maker and they had left complimentary coffee packets and sugar packets that we thought was a nice touch. The unit also had a stackable washer and dryer which is nice to be able to use when your on vacation with a complimentary laundry packet. Our unit had one bedroom with a jacuzzi tub and a nice shower with glass doors in the bathroom. There was also, a pull out sofa in the living room where our son slept which the mattress was kind of lousy so our son didn't get as good a night's rest as he could have. The restaurant at the resort had pretty good food and you could either eat inside or out on the patio which overlooks the golf course which was nice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gale G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (661)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

My boyfriend and I traveled here late August 2013. Just getting back from our cruise and being pampered we were expecting the same luxury at Mystic Dunes.. Boy we were wrong. First off we purchased the living social deal which was for a 2night stay with a round of mini golf.

Before purchasing the deal, I did my research to see how the resort looked. I noticed that some pictures displayed newer units and others had older units. The first thing I requested when booking my reservations was a “Newer” unit. I specifically requested this because I knew I would not feel comfortable in an older unit. Well surprise surprise! Upon checking in, the front desk staff was very friendly, maybe a little bit over the top friendly in my opinion. They gave us our keys to the room and I was waiting for the tickets for the mini golf. I had to remind them that we needed our tickets since we had purchased the living social deal. They gave them to us and we went to our room. Can you say disappointed??? I immediately called the front desk to request our room to be changed to a newer unit and they informed me that all of units are currently being renovated and would not be complete until next month. Well if that was the case, why wouldn’t you tell me that when I booked the room??? Furthermore, if the units are not complete yet, please tell me what pictures are displayed on the website? Very misleading.

The overall cleanliness was alright. We stayed in a one bedroom unit. The bed was a FULL. Please tell me who puts a full sized bed in a master suite. Also the 2 tv’s that were in the unit were very poor. Big backs, fuzziness, lines in the screen, etc. Some serious upgrading needs to be done. The leather couch in the living room had rips in it and the arm rests on both sides kept falling off. To top it off the couch had an odor to it. We had to place 2 sheets on top of the couch just to relax on it. Everything about the unit was outdated. My expectations were lowered from the moment I walked in our room.

Then to top it off, we lost our tickets for the mini golf so we simply asked if we could get new ones. The lady at the front desk told my boyfriend that she could not issue him new tickets because they already gave us some. REALLY?? You mean to tell me that you couldn’t give us another voucher for mini golf that costs no more than $10? Was it really that serious? Was Mystic Dunes really losing that much money? The resort needs some serious overall improvement.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nycgirl1221
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Mystic Dunes was a nice experience. I think it was some sort of timeshare set up as the welcome agent asked if we'd attend a 90- minute tour and receive a 75-voucher and free breakfast. Anyhow we did not attend and there was no pressure. We'd traveled from Boston and didn't have a car as we thought we'd use the park shuttles, but the resort is pretty spread out so needed to use the resorts shuttle service-golf carts driven by their staff and were quick and nice staff members. One night when we were shuttled to the onsite restaurant for dinner, it rained and the operator said no one could get us due to lightening so we had no way home. The food delivery service ended up giving us a ride. I feel if you advertise a shuttle service around the resort- this needs to account for weather. The shuttles to parks were a bit limited so be sure to check the schedules there and back if you 're going to be using. One day we had to take a cab home from one of the parks as the last shuttle was late afternoon. The room was fine. We were drawn to it because of the suite set up which is nice as we took our 16-yr old daughter. The set up allowed her to have a little of her own space. We called a cab via the resort operator answered charged $15 to go about 5 miles which seemed steep. Overall we thought it was a good experience and good value. We felt the staff was really nice and responsive!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

We came in for a family funeral that was located nearby and rather than stay at the Holiday Inn for $89/room, we decided to stay here for $110/ night. I stayed here with my adult sister, my father, and an 8 year old child.

CHECK IN- was no problem although the man who checked us in insisted that they didn't have any renovated rooms on property and that all of the rooms were exactly the same. I don't know if this is accurate or not because when I called, I requested a renovated room, and they seemed to know what I was talking about. Ok. I'll just take a room near the pool, thanks.

TIMESHARE SALESPEOPLE- While checking in, my father got lured over to the timeshare desk. When I looked over and noticed that the young lady was trying to get his information, I politely told her that we weren't interested and thanked her for her time. She immediately got an attitude and snapped at me in front of everyone in the lobby saying "you don't even know what kind of free things I was going to give you, do you?" and when I replied that I really didn't need anything and that we weren't interested, she continued to harass me saying "is there something that you don't like about receiving free things? How can you tell me no when you don't even know what I'm offering?" PUSHY, RUDE, and UNACCEPTABLE. I'll end it at that. The girl is lucky I didn't give her a piece of my mind right then and there.

THE ROOM- Our "villa" was a 2 bed/2 bath unit. When we arrived, there were 2 huge see through garbage bags filled with soiled linens, dirty towels, and someone else's garbage blocking our doorway. I had to move the bags out of the way just to get into the door. That was pretty disgusting. We had a problem with the AC staying on, but were gone most of the time, and it was ok at night, so didn't see the need to report it. It would have been an issue if we were staying for longer than 2 nights. As for the furniture, it was VERY outdated and tired. The hunter green leather couch in the living room was really weird, as was the Jacuzzi tub 5 ft away from the master bed in a room covered in mirrors. My sister and I shared the master bedroom, and because there is absolutely no privacy between the shower and the rest of the bedroom, one of us would need to leave while the other was ready to shower. Furthermore, the dresser drawer's facing was literally falling off.

THE POOL- was nice. I enjoyed drinks at the Tiki bar and the bartender was fairly nice, although slightly inappropriate with my father, trying to put a toy water gun down the back of his pants (wtf?!). It made me a little uncomfortable, and I didn't really understand why she thought that was appropriate behavior.

THE RESTAURANT- We went for the "Italian buffet" on a Wednesday. For $15 pp, it was pretty awful. Our waiter had a very lackadaisical attitude, and really couldn't be bothered to get us drinks, silverware, or the check in a timely manner. I mean, it's a buffet? How hard could it be? At 20%, his tip was still $20, which was truly painful to give him. He didn't deserve it. The buffet had penne pasta, white and red sauce, Italian sausage, romaine lettuce with one type of dressing that was really sweet and gross, beef with gravy and rice, and a tomatoes with chicken dish that only had 2 chicken wings in the whole chafing dish. We thought they would refill it, but in the hour that we were there, they never did. There was no soup, not salad dressing variety, and no dessert. It was pretty darn sad, even for $15.

The location is pretty great if you're headed to the parks, but you need to have a car to get to any restaurants, gift shops, or nearby attractions.

I wouldn't stay here again, but I tend to have certain standards. This is a 2* "resort" at best. They really need to speak to their staff about their lack of professionalism and laziness. If there was one thing that really bothered me about the resort, it was the staff.

Room Tip: Stay in building 29 which is right next to the main pool and tiki bar.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BellaChicago_IL
Englewood, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were very disappointed with our recent stay at Mystic Dunes. Our building #11 was very grungy looking. Doors to rooms were rusted and dented, trash lying all over the place. Upon walking up to our room we had to look closely at the door and wall to make sure we were at the right room, as the numbers were written on the door in pen, and on the wall with a sharpie by someone with poor handwriting. Should have been our first clue to get out!
The walls of the room are like tissue paper, we were up until after midnight listening to the kids in the room next to ours, scream, cry, run in and out of the room slamming the door, while listening to their parents conversation , we could hear every word they were saying very clearly. It was so loud they sounded like they were in our unit!
Not quite sure when the last time the tile floor was cleaned??? UGH, it was so gross and sticky! I had to clean it myself with hot water and towels which only helped a little. The couch had a ghastly smell of must and body odor, accompanied by a sticky surface; I had to put the bed runner on the couch just to feel somewhat relaxed about sitting on it.
We did have a jetted tub in the room, however, NO SHOWER, just a hand held shower head attached to the tub with no connection on the wall to hang it from. My 6' tall husband had to lean over to wash his hair and body, the hose was too short to wet/rinse his body, In order to shower in this nightmare of a tub, you needed to put the hand held unit back in the holder in the tub, where it hit your knees, ridiculous! The room specs did call for a separate shower, maybe you meant the one at the pool?
The only closet available, was the one in the utility closet, which holds the A/C air handler, it had approximately enough room to hang 7 items, not to mention it was dirty and dusty, who would ask their guests to use a utility closet to hang clothes?
The room's decor was from the early 90's, while this was most likely high end furnishings for the times, it’s in desperate need of revamping. The bulky tube television, provided in both rooms, not only are an eyesore but took forever to warm up!
Would not recommend to anyone, I would be to embarrassed to say I stayed here!

Room Tip: Apparently they have renovated rooms! Make sure you get one!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LGBrunt
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

The location is close to the Parks. The complex looks nice. The unit has a small kitchen & living room. While it is more convenient than a hotel room..it's very outdated. There is a jet tub within 2 ft of the bed in a room covered with mirrors!? Enough said.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank TravelBug1Of3
Murphy, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at Mystic Dunes for Labor Day weekend 2012 and had a wonderful time. We were just pleasantly surprised at how nice the resort & room was. Unfortunately we do not play golf. Highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rstiles43
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celebration
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
Grande Villas Resort
Grande Villas Resort
#4 of 17 in Orlando
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,415 reviews

Been to Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!