“Mystic Dunes Trip”

Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Celebration
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Just came back. Did four nights and then my husband took over for the last three nights with his brother to golf. I had my sister with me. I must say I was disappointed because my unit was not the newly renovated type. I did call when I got to my unit to ask for a one bedroom with a balcony. Of course I could have one if I paid to change. So - we stayed. It really was fine just a bit dated. Jacuzzi in bedroom was fab. Plenty utensils etc in kitchen. I don't mind not having housekeeping. You only have to dial 0 to ask for a towel change and my experience is they were there in 10 minutes with plenty of clean towels and I left my used towels outside the door for pick up. The same with thrash and recycling - outside my door and its picked up in the mornings. We went for sun and pool and that is all we did. Ate at the resteraunt three times. It was good. Pleanty of restaurants around - just a mile or two away. I believe this is what it is supposed to be - a Golf resort. My husband and brother loved the course. I would go back. My problem is a personal one - - I missed the ocean!

4  Thank MFAHY
There are newer reviews for Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I recently booked a stay at this hotel through Travelocity's secret hotels. Whether or not this a four star hotel as it describes is subject to another debate, but for now I shall enlighten you with my trip.
My girlfriend and I stayed for three nights at the Mystic Dunes Resort. We were originally put in a 1-1 apartment with refrigerator and all amenities. Even the 1-1 apartment includes an oven, washer/dryer, hot tub, living room with television, silverware, plates, detergent, dishwashing soap, cups, etc. Let me leave you with this regarding amenities: you will not need to bring anything other than deodorant and toothpaste!
The first night in the 1-1 was a bit tricky to describe. The apartment was more than suitable for our needs, but an odd noise was coming in from the walls. Maintenance blamed it on perhaps the different units using the heat on an unseasonably cold night. Whether or not that was the reason, again, is subject for debate. The night was fully booked, so we had to sleep on the queen-sized sleeper sofa. It was plenty comfortable, no complaints, but still would have been nice to be in the master bedroom.
The next day, the staff put us in a 2-2 bedroom with a large-screen TV and even better amenities than the previous apartment. The master bedroom was out of this world! The rest of the stay was phenomenal with no hiccups.
Location-wise, this place is best suited if you are going to Disney World. Sea World and Universal may be just out of your reach. You are about three miles from the main gate to Disney World. Best of all, you avoid I-4, and will never have to deal with the rush-hour traffic (which can be pretty awful, I can tell you because I used to live in Orlando).
Now for the caveat, which may deter some. You are responsible for your own cleaning. That is why this hotel was so cheap. It is so sprawled, it would be near impossible to keep costs down if providing housekeeping every day. You can order housekeeping for an additional cost. However, housekeeping does provide a visit before you move in (so it will be clean from the previous tenant), and if you spend over a week there. Unfortunately, that means a lot of the cleaning is on the "honor system." I personally washed any dishes I used, but many guests could have just as easily run it under some water and put dishes in the cabinets, and nobody would know the difference. Also, there is a stated cleaning fee if you do not clean up enough after yourself. You are asked to leave all the linens you used in the hot tub. The hot tub, by the way, is also nice- we used it; may be a bit tiny but does a great job.
The hotel also offered many amenities, including mini golf, among other things. My girlfriend and I came purely to go to Disney World, so we did not explore these amenities.
The area is pretty good, and there is even a guard gate to ensure safety on the premises. Within a 5-10 drive is plenty of restaurants, gas stations, and even a Walgreens.
In sum: Great value, spacious rooms, great in-room amenities, great location, and would definitely stay again. The caveat: cleaning is do-it-yourself, so long as you do not mind.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank ekrakauer
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Full disclosure before I begin, I am a big fan of Mystic Dunes I have stayed here multiple times and fully intend on returning again very soon. For some reason this time a few things really irked me about my beloved dunes. I did not file formal complaints or ask to be changed because I was only there a short time and they told me they were "sold out".

First off, a few room condition issues. I may not have even complained about any of this stuff, but after watching in interview on loop with Stephen J. Cloobeck on the resort channel multiple times and listening to his rants about how the resort is supposed to be then I thought i should mention a few things. First off, the horrible smells coming from the bathroom any time after water was run any where in the unit. This was either caused by a drain clog somewhere down the line or a drain venting issue, either way it was gross. Second, the used/old band aid in the corner of the shower made me mildly vomit in my own mouth. (exaggerating) Third, if you stay in the one bedroom unit that is attached to a two bedroom, be advised of a few things. Your neighbor may decide to leave their trash, in my case old coffee cups and bandages in the shared entrance area in between the two units . That spot smelled like old coffee the entire trip mmmmm. Also, make sure they close the door because if the fail to then anyone can come in that middle room or the wind will keep slamming the door against the frame all night or until you get up and close it. Forth is more of a design issue. Why in the world would a bedroom be placed right next to an elevator and they so kindly give you a window that is as sound proof as saran wrap. Help people out a little bit with some quality windows and insulation to dull the sound of an elevator operating at all hours of the night.

All this being said, my family loves this place even with its flaws and its our common choice to book through diamond resorts. Not sure who is responsible for owner discounts at the resort but a less than 20% discount and the golf course for owners is an insult to me. We ended up playing 4 rounds in 3 days and none of them were at the dunes due to pricing. I have played the course 4 times in the past and i know what its pretty much worth. It should be similar prices to such courses as reunion, championsgate or the ritz. Golf reviews and small complaints aside, again this is a nice resort which seems to be headed in the right direction, one less than perfect stay will not detract me from returning in the future.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

After reading some previous reviews we were a little concerned; however, we had a good experience. We got an excellent deal through priceline ($38/night). The grounds are very well kept and the one bedroom studio we got was spacious and clean. I agree the furniture is a little outdated but everything was in good working order...Flat screen TV's, microwave, full size fridge, and other amenities included. Check in at night was quick and staff was courteous and resourceful. The property is huge and they provide complimentary transport (via golfcart) to the shuttle stop, pools, etc.
We never received any phone calls soliciting time share presentations nor were bothered by staff in any way. I recommend this resort to couples with/without children and will definately stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a unit in a building that has been renovated and close to the main pool.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank djdany007
Reviewed January 29, 2013

A friend and I checked in went to our room only to be greeted with the stench of mold. We went back to the front desk to ask for another room. We explained the problem and was a little surprised by the lack of concern by the gentleman assisting us. He gave us another room and there was still the stench of mold and the bathroom wasn't thoroughly clean. The couch one of us was suppose to sleep on looked like it had been sitting there since 1994. We had no intention to sit on it much less pull it out to sleep.

We then called the front desk from the car. A manager offered to upgrade us to "my favorite building." She met us in front of the building to view the room with us and spoke highly of it. We were skeptical but was pleasantly satisfied by the room. Very clean, spacious, screened balcony and a beautiful view of the course. She also gave us complimentary wifi access (normally $10 per day) for our trouble. ps-the couch was delightful. didn't need to sleep there but wasn't scared to sit on it.

Lesson here is don't settle for the first remedy they give you if it doesn't reasonably meet your needs or expectations.

Room Tip: Suites with two rooms are great. Master has a huge jacuzzi tub and king bed. Second bedroom has two...
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Word of advice to all travellers to Florida ...make sure you have toll change..mostly 75 cents...
you will need plenty change to get around Orlando area .

Hotel complex is vast ..so they offer a golf cart taxi service which is very effecient to get from apartments to Golf club etc.
Immaculate lawns ...very high standard time share.
Mostly owner aapartments which are rented out ..so I believe you can get a nicely furnished one with golf course views as easy as a poorly furnished with no real view ..so ask on your room request.
overall no complaints about anything..good standard ..good golf course..handy for Orlando attractions.

Room Tip: Rememeber loose change for tolls. Put golf course view on request.
3  Thank vincent w
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I don't know why this resort has so many bad reviews. Personally I think they're from snotty spoiled people. If you saw a bug on the ground at this resort and then went online and gave the resort a horrible name....thats pretty sad and sorry, but you need to get a life. I decided to book a week long vacation here despite the bad reviews I read. I was extremely nervous as our family was pulling up but the second I saw the front entrance I got the hugest smile on my face. We showed up a day late at 2 a.m. so I thought we were going to have trouble checking in but we didnt. It was super fast and they were so nice to us. I even requested a room close to the entrance and she gladly changed the room and gave us the card keys for one.Everytime we called for more towels or pillows etc. they were there within 5 minutes. They personally handed them to us....they didn't leave them by the door. Check out was also super quick and easy. I didn't get any unexpected charges either. The restaurant was amazing. Super cheap prices for good portions! We ate there almost everyday and love it. The grounds are beautiful! I thought for the price I got way more than I paid for! I was so happy with our stay and I recommend this resort to anyone! :) Oh and one more thing..... we did get called once asking if we were interesetted in a time-share. We simply said no thank you and we never heard anything about it again. They didnt follow us around or deny us breakfast like other people were saying. Don't let the bad reviews keep you from this resort :)

Room Tip: If you don't have a car request a room by one of the pools !
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank kelsey s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celebration
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
#27 of 154 in Kissimmee
Grande Villas Resort
Grande Villas Resort
#3 of 21 in Orlando

Been to Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!