“Great Experience”

Elkhorn, Wisconsin
“Great Experience”
Reviewed January 15, 2008

SALES/CHECK IN :
We rented a 3BR villa from a timeshare owner (Interval Exchange) for $980 for the week of Jan 5-12th. Given all the bad reviews we were very worried going in but there was limited availability for three bedrooms at the last minute. I called ahead to request 29, 30, 31 or 32 - newer buildings and to be near a pool. As other people noted check-in is a little odd. We arrived early, about 12:30 and checked in at a portable office trailer -- a room was not ready but they said we could come back to the sales center at 2 (much better than 4!). At 2 I waited for about ten minutes for my concierge to take us to the room -- this is where they assess if you are at all interested in the timeshare presentation. They take you to the room, turn on all the lights, check the fridge, ask if everything is okay or if you need tickets, want to golf, etc. We expressed interest in golf and they pitched two rounds for $20 (vs $110 each). We said no and weren't called or bothered again (until we called them -- see below).

BUILDING: We were assigned building 22, near the Dunes Lagoon, not what I requested but the building was clean, close enough to the pool and updated. Other than a little funky garbage disposal smell in the one bedroom unit (quickly remedied) everything was good. Typical timeshare layout of one two bedroom villa attached to one 1-bedroom unit -- two kitchens, two living rooms, one patio. Plenty of towels for six people, sheets for pull out sofas, extra pillows and blankets.

TIMESHARE PITCH: We decided after a few days to take them up on their $20 golf and did the timeshare presentation for three rounds of golf (we had three golfers two of them under the age of 16). We scheduled first pitch of the morning at 7:30, let the kids sleep in and we were in and out, including the complimentary breakfast, tour, standard manager last ditch pitch, with three golf passes in hand in two hours and five minutes - I thought it was well worth the time for savings of $310! You have to remember a couple of things -- don't ask any questions and don't EVER waiver from NO.

POOL: The Dunes Lagoon pool is very nice, as other people have noted the slide is fast and rough -- probably not for very little kids. Water is warm enough to swim in the evenings. The lack of a hot tub is disappointing. You have to check in/out towels at the pool and aren't supposed to take them back to your villa - kind of a pain, I'd suggest taking your own. The bar poolside is adequate.

SERVICE/PROPERTY: The staff is as pleasant as you are to them, I never saw them go out of their way, but as with most people a smile and a kind request always got us excellent and prompt service. They were always nice to my kids. The Pizza Hut Express had pizza to our door in 35 minutes and was of Pizza Hut quality (you either like it our you don't!) They picked up our garbage from outside our door everyday (not the case at other timeshare resorts). The grounds were clean and well manicured. The golf course is challenging. The units are good sized, clean and well stocked.

LOCATION/TRANSPORTATION: The location is better than I expected. I've always heard that going to the parks from the 192 area is a pain but we zipped in and out of the Disney parks with no problems, access to I4 was no trouble at all. On-site the resort beautiful and big and is really spread out, walking to any of the other pools, the basketball court or the front desk is up/down hills and quite a haul. You should request a building near where you want to hang out. They said that if you called 0 they would send a shuttle to take you anywhere on property. We never did because we were close to the things we wanted so I can't attest to their efficiency. My kids did walk to the basketball court and said it took a long time.

A few tips -- DON'T use your GPS to find this -- it takes you to an old entrance that you can't get in. Remember Orlando area has REALLY long stop lights - and there are LOTS of tourists that don't know where they are going! If you stay at resorts or homes in this area you really need a rental car! There are lots of things nearby but NOT walking distance! I wouldn't rely on shuttles to any offsite locations as it wastes too much vacation time. If you stay at a timeshare resort don't expect free daily maid service, expect to clean up after yourself or pay for additional services.

Overall our stay was excellent. For comparison we have stayed at Sheraton Vistana, Marriott Grande Vista, Westgate Lakes and this was as nice. There are fewer activities and pools here than some of the other places and as I said it is way more spread out -- but we thought a very nice change from the stacked in on top of each other that you feel at some of the other resorts.

• Liked — Clean and well maintained rooms and grounds
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
11 Thank shiltsma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (713)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed January 9, 2008

In June of 2006 we stayed at the Westgate Town Center just up the road from Mystic Dunes and was not very impressed, but while we were there we did the time share presentation and bought a 2 bedroom villa at Mystic Dunes then call (Wyndham Palms). When we received our information about the name change and that Wyndham was no longer part of the organizaton we were very concerned. We scheduled our stay for June 2007 and let me tell you we had nothing to worrry about. We arrived early for check -in and was taken right to our villa by a member of the staff and he showed us everything and gave us a schedule of events going on at the property. We attended the BBQ and had a great time. We swam in all of the pools but one and they were always clean. We played mini golf in the evening several times, and my kids participated in several of the events set up just for them. Our villa was clean and exactly like the one that we were shown on our tour. All of our fears were put aside and we are so proud to be an owner at Mystic Dunes

• Liked — The size of the villa
  • Disliked — The Business trailer next to the Check in Building
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank vacationloverr
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I booked through Interval International which rated this resort as a 5 star. I was very disappointed from the minute we arrived, the check-in process is horrible. The villa was "just ok", it smelled like a cheap highway motel, and the furniture is very outdated. I would not recommend it or would go back if I had a choice.

The golf Clubhouse is very nice, their staff very helpful, and professional.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank Poohh66
Indy
Reviewed January 7, 2008

This is a great place to stay. They have 4 swimming pools and the rooms are very spacious. There is all the comforts of home and more.

**Excellent Catering Services:
I mainly want to express how great their catering servies are at the Mystic Dunes Golf Club. My in-laws had their 50th wedding anniversary there. MDGC went above and beyond what I expected. Michelle Sanderson will help you plan your party. She and her staff made our night a night to always remember.

On a negative note: Since it's changed over from Wyndham Palms Resort to Mystic Dunes Resort the activities at the resort now cost a fee. It used to be free.

• Liked — It
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank KrissyTales
MI
Reviewed January 3, 2008

After reading some terrible reviews about this hotel just one week prior to our trip, I was really concerned about my choice! But those reviews helped me a lot and I called ahead of time to request a room in villa 31 since I had read that it's new. Fortunately, that's what we got! I booked this room via Interval International's time share exchange program.

CHECK IN: Given that it was Xmas week and the busiest time in Orlando, the check in was a bit slow and there was not enough room for guests to stand in line for check in. Their check in "office" is not impressive compared to the resorts I have been to. The lady that helped me said that my request for a room in villa 31 was noted and they would try their best to accomodate that. That meant to me that we weren't getting one! But after the crowd had gone, I went back to her and she said that we did have the room in villa 31 and that she couldn't say that in front of all the other guests apparently!

After checking in, we left our luggage and were told to come back to the sales office at 2 pm. That sales office is a much nicer one with leather sofas, tropical plants etc. I wondered if that was a sales gimmick but shockingly, not once were we asked/contacted about time share in the entire week. I still can't believe that. The nice Philipino family in line with me said they had time share there (2 in Orlando infact!) and yet they were getting daily calls constantly about time share presentations. I still can't figure out why we got no invitations for that....could have used some cheaper disney tickets :)

THE GROUNDS: Beautifully maintained grounds, large areas with lots of palm trees, 3 swimming pools etc. We never ate at any restaurant on the site.

THE ROOM: We stayed in 31614 which is villa 31, room 614 on the 6th floor of course. It had one bedroom, kitchen, living room, laundry closet with washer/dryer. The room was brand new, very clean, equipped with two TVs, sofa bed, queen bed in main bedroom, jacuzzi in the main bedroom etc. I was so relieved! The view from the living room was beautiful from the 6th floor. It overlooked the beautiful fountain and pool below with palm trees, and the large golf course all around. The drawback was that the main bedroom's window was to the alley side where other guests would walk to their rooms. This meant we could never open the curtains. That made the room quite dark. Fortunately we didn't go there to stay in the room but in the morning, even around 10 am, we couldn't tell what time it was and it was always dark in the room when we woke up. I like waking up to the sun every morning. My son who slept on the sofa bed in the living room had windows over looking the pool etc, so he could keep the curtains open to wake up to the beautiful sunny morning each day. They call the master bedroom bed a queen size but I have trouble believing that! It was more like a double bed and bouncy one at that. Neither me nor my husband enjoyed it and didn't get great sleep all week. Not enough room for two inspite of me being a woman of small stature. My son's sofa bed in the living room was not comfortable either since the mattress was too thin and I could feel the coils. The leather sofa was being used as a bed and that meant we had to sit on the bed for every thing unless we wanted to close the bed each morning and take it out as a bed each night. Wasn't too thrilled with this option....with cleaning service, perhaps that would not be an issue since they would do that. Read on for the cleaning service (or the lack there of)....

CLEANING SERVICE: What cleaning service? There was none once we occupied the room! Apparently because this is a "RESORT", they don't have daily cleaning service. I never heard such croc before! I thought I wouldn't miss it that much but I did!!! I sure would have liked my beds made and new clean towels each day. It was tough keeping track of whose white towel was where each day, I hated that. They had initially left 4 towels and only 2 soaps, no kleenex, only one toilet roll (no spare!), only one bath mat in front of the master bedroom jacuzzi and none in front of the shower stall. Oh, did I mention there was no bathtub, just the shower stall but it was very new and clean with glass doors, no complaints. We could have gone down to the main office to get the extra supplies but by the time we got back from Disney each night, it was late.

THE FRONT DESK: Whenever I had to call them for asking something, it went to the HR department, not sure why! Then I asked for front desk and it took them several rings each time to pick up the phone. They did send me the extra supplies to our room once I called and requested it.

THE KITCHEN: Very clean, cook top stove, micro wave, dishes etc. NO dishwasher (odd!) and no osterizer/blender. Cooking dishes were only two stainless steel ones, one large dutch oven and a small pot with glass top. Enough plates/cups/spoons/knives etc for four. I didn't like having to do the dishes but we did so we would have clean sink and some plates for breakfast/coffee or occasional eat in.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE: Tickets to disney parks were cheaper than the ones at the park entrance. Some of them are not in the mood to answer too many questions since they have done it so many times and they are either tired or bored! One lady Graciela (?) was very nice and helpful, especially since I had called her ahead of time prior to our trip. All the buildings in that resort looked really new but who knows what was lurking inside. We were fortunate to get the brand new room that was spic and span even for a clean freak like me! I would definitely recommend this place PROVIDED you get the newer rooms....I sure hope they start offering daily or atleast mid week cleaning without extra charge. Oh, I liked the fact that I did my laundry there on night and didn't have to bring back dirty laundry for a change.

• Liked — Clean and well maintained
  • Disliked — No daily cleaning service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank rkramadh
VA
Reviewed December 28, 2007

The worst thing was the Customer Service. For a "5 Star" Resort, the CS was not up to parr. At check in there were three CS reps at the desk, 1 was talking to a customer and the other two were just standing around. No one bothered to acknowledge me or my husband or say "We'll be right with you" Other than that, the experience was nice.

Stayed December 2007
Jackson, Tennessee USA
Reviewed December 27, 2007

This resort is a definate 5 star property. We have stayed here 3 times now and enjoy each stay. The last time we stayed, we were there for 2 weeks. No problems with customer service, noise, or ammenities. The big screen TV is a nice plus you don't find in other resorts.

They have just completed a new pool with waterfall and the kids really enjoyed it. I'll definately be staying here again.

• Liked — pools
  • Disliked — I don't care for golf, so I was neutral on it having a golf course.
  • Stayed April 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank catlovers_7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celebration
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
Caribe Royale Orlando
Caribe Royale Orlando
#87 of 337 in Orlando
Sheraton Vistana Resort - Lake Buena Vista
Bohemian Hotel Celebration, Autograph Collection
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
Sheraton Vistana Villages - International Drive

Been to Mystic Dunes Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!