“It's the real deal!”

Tony's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 32 Restaurants in Cedar Key
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: PLEASE NOTE: Seasonal Restaurant Hours: October- November 2016 Monday thru Thursday 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM ( NOT OPEN FOR DINNER) Friday thru Sunday 11:00 AM -8:00 PM Please call ahead to verify hours before making long drives from far away.
DeLand
“It's the real deal!”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Well to start with, I am always very skeptical when a restaurant flaunts that they offer the "world's best" or "award winning" cuisine. In fact we almost didn't try this place but the young woman at our hotel said they had a really good fish sandwich and the other place she recommended was a much further walk on a very hot day so we took a chance and went in for lunch and it almost full. I was still not impressed when we first walked in because of an unpleasant odor, but then I took in consideration that this was a seafood restaurant and a fishy smell was not unexpected. After a few minutes it became less noticeable and I turned my attention to the menu. The menu had fairly standard offerings so there wss nothing to entice me away from my original quest for a good fried fish sandwich. My wife decided to try a cup of the highly acclaimed chowder and a grilled cheese sandwich. Our lunches were delivered quickly by a very pleasant and efficient server. I had to admit it all looked great but the proof was in the tasting and I was still leary of the award winning acclaim. One bite of my wife's chowder and I was ruined for life. It was AMAZING!! I don't have any idea of what they do differently but it really does live up to the hype. I wanted more but my wife was zealously defending her cup so I dug in to my fish sandwich which was almost as good. It was a huge flaky, white filet fried light and crispy and overlapped the bun by two inches on each side. It was served with a great tangy homemade tartar sauce and a slice of juice red ripe tomato. I opted for potato salad as my side and it was an interesting interpretation. It was savory rather than southern sweet and had nice chunks of juicy, sweet onion. The only problem was the potatoes were a little too al dente. They could have cooked a few minutes longer. Back to my wife's lunch, I caught her trying to use her grilled cheese sandwich to sop up the last drop of the chowder. While her sandwich was actually pretty good made with tangy cheese and Texas toast. However, she would have gladly traded it in for a bowl of the chowder. I really wasn't expecting everything to be as good as it was but I have to give Tony's a big thumbs up. We'll be back the next time we are in Cedar Key. Meanwhile, I was over the moon when I found out that my neighborhood Publix grocery store carries Tony's condensed chowder in cans. I can't wait to try it. If it is half as good as it was at the restaurant, it may still be some of the he best chowder you will ever have.

• Visited July 2014

Lewiston, Maine
“It was okay”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We were told that this was the place to go for clam chowder. Being from New England, I am fussy about my clam chowder. Tony's was good, but not great. I order steamed clams and shrimp over pasta. The pasta was dry with no sauce or seasoning of any kind. My mother had the steak sub, and found the meat tough, with very few peppers, onions mushrooms and cheese.

Brooksville, Florida
“Best clam chowder”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

BNest clam chowder I have ever eaten, try the " low country boil", fish sandwich, or shrimp sandwich, service is excellent, never had to wait more than a few minutes to get in, best time to go is during the week.

Ocala, Florida
“I don't get the hype....”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Not what I expected at all. This is a casual little restaurant with an excellent reputation, so it is possible that my hopes were a bit too high. Let me just say that the wait staff is wonderful. We were seated at a small table in the rear dining room, and it was very stuffy in there. Our waitress moved us outside at our request and was very courteous. The menu has a lot to choose from. My husband had a shrimp alfredo, which he really enjoyed. I had a shrimp dish that was served over pasta. My dish arrived with no sauce at all...actually, no taste at all. Image unseasoned shrimp over dry pasta!?! I asked the server if my food was supposed to be like this or did the chef forget something...she said that sometimes the sauce sticks to the pan and took it back to the kitchen. I tasted it again when she brought the food back, and I think the guy put plain butter on it! It was simply inedible. I wound up with a bowl of the clam chowder....it was tasty,but nothing special...like the title says....I just don't get all the hype! On a more positive note; the salads were really good...I loved their vinaigrette. The server did remove the charge for my shrimp and pasta, so I can't complain about that. While I was there, I couldn't help but wonder what the "Chopped" panel of judges would have to say....HeeHee

“Good seafood!”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went here with another couple who raved about the clam chowder and have been repeat customers since they tried it years ago.

In my opinion, the chowder was just ok... It was very salty. Maybe it was just an off day... Who knows. The peel and eat shrimp was good- even better when they did in fact have old bay so I could sprinkle it on them! The highlight of our afternoon snack here though was the corn nuggets... So- SOOO good!!! We will be back :)