“Clam Chowder to Die For!”

Tony's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 33 Restaurants in Cedar Key
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: PLEASE NOTE: Seasonal Restaurant Hours: October- November 2016 Monday thru Thursday 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM ( NOT OPEN FOR DINNER) Friday thru Sunday 11:00 AM -8:00 PM Please call ahead to verify hours before making long drives from far away.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Had a very short stay in Cedar Key. Tried Tony's twice while we were there. The clam chowder was outstanding. Waiters very friendly and other food good also. Definitely know why they won their rewards. Would drive the extra miles to eat there again.

1  Thank Sandy P
Chef Eric J, Owner at Tony's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

From myself and all the staff here at Tony's a great big thank you for the outstanding review on your recent dining experience. I'm so glad that you found the chowder and THE SERVICE tip top!
We pride ourselves on only giving our very best and what a reward to have folks like you take the time to write a great review on Trip Advisor. We see countless thousands of diners who leave so very satisfied but can't find the time to say so. That makes it ever so special to hear something nice said when you work so very hard and care so much to only give your best to everyone. Thank you so much! Please return again soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,510)

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We drove to cedar Key a day before the Art Show, and after a libation, we strolled over to the main staging area while the artists were still setting up. We saw a couple of people we knew, and they told us to go try the clam chowder. We walked in to a small room, not knowing what to expect, and
got the "stare" from the locals. Yeah, we're tourists, but we're also native Floridians and part of my
extended family is buried in the next county over, we felt right at home. I think it was the smell of fish and shrimp that was embedded in the walls (in a nice way of course). We had a fresh salad, and my friend had the scallops while I opted for the shrimp, fish, and scallops served over rice with
okra, tomatoes, Cajun style. We both ordered the chowder. Wow.

I could burn a few hundred words about how good this was, but what really sold us was the attitude of the servers. The guys did not suffer fools, and they were just getting it done.

We had lunch the next day, and it was packed wall to wall. Luckily they recognized us, and let us in. Just another great meal, and the staff was hustling to feed as many as they could. We tried the cold shrimp and they were both huge and tasty.

The last night of the show was Sunday, and the rain that had magically held off all day, started to
pour down. We had driven to a nearby town for a piece of electronic gear, and arrived back in Cedar Key about the time it slacked off. Oh Yeah, back for one more meal, this time with a very thin crowd. We shared a carafe of the house red, did some more serious seafood eating and congratulated ourselves on a true find. I'm shipping the chowder to friends for Christmas presents.

Chef Eric J, Owner at Tony's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

A great big THANK YOU from all of us here at Tony's. Your review is SUPER! I can feel your passion for your dining experience here just in your words alone. So glad you enjoyed your salad, cajun medley (one of our most popular favorites), the lunch, the shrimp and all the seafoods we feature. I do appreciate your spending a few minutes telling the TA community just how much you enjoyed not only your food, but your service as well. This means a great deal to all of us that work so hard each and everyday to give everyone of our diners the best food and level of service possible. Clearly you could see it and I'm so glad for that. Please return again soon and your status of a "regular" is noted and very, very appreciated.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Small place, friendly servers and OUTSTANDING AWARD WINNING CHOWDER !!! If you have the appetite, try the Tony's "Super Bowl" of Chowder but be sure to bring your appetite... Casual restaurant and right on the corner as you enter downtown Cedar Key..... Ask for "Nettie" the best server they have.....We never get tired of Tony's and keep in mind they offer "PickUp" service if you want to take your meal home and enjoy the view from your home away from home..... As an added bonus, supposedly they are in some Publix grocery stores with their canned Clam Chowder so you enjoy the goodness from the comfort of your own kitchen......

Thank you for taking the time to tell everyone about your pleasant experience with our food and service at Tony's. All of us at Tony's LOVE Mrs. Nettie. She is WONDERFUL!! We greatly appreciate your visit and your very kind remarks. Yes, the "Super Chowder Bowl is quite a large portion. Some can do it and others need to bring the rest home.
Our take out window is really a busy spot and we appreciate everyone's patience as it can take a few minutes to handle the crowd. As you mentioned, now you can pick up the chowder in select Publix stores in Florida. They always have a checkout open, so no lines or waiting there.
Thanks again and please return soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We went to Tony's during the Arts Festival for some takeout clam chowder. You can't really miss the signs for the world famous award winning clam chowder and after having a horrible experience at another restaurant (Steamers), we wanted to have a lasting and yummy impression of Cedar Key. We walked in and after about a minute a waitress told us that "all the tables were full" (we saw three open tables, but that's besides the point). We told her that we wanted to order something 'to go' and she pointed us to the 'to go' window. We approached the 'to go' window where another employee told us she'd be with us "in just a moment'. Fast forward to ten minutes later and after no less than 5 employees had passed us by, seeing us standing in the middle of the restaurant at the 'to go' window waiting to have our order taken. Three different times the manager passed by the window, made eye contact with me, and kept walking. I get being busy, I have worked in the restaurant industry and know what art festival crowds can be like - but letting customers just wait, and ignoring them completely, for over 10 minutes, is unacceptable. We left. I am sure the clam chowder was great, but, unfortunately, after this last experience in Cedar Key - I don't think we'll be back to try any of it anytime soon.

Chef Eric J, Owner at Tony's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

I apologize that you encountered some difficulties getting service during our very busy Cedar Key festival weekend. Your visit came when we were obviously maxed out with people everywhere needing attention. We follow the rule (as our customers always remind us) first come, first serve.
You entered well after dozens upon dozens of others and wanted immediate attention. We do try to accommodate everyone no matter what, but please understand that staff members were busy helping customers who entered before you. Normally we have someone handle our to go window area, but during a festival rush, even they are getting drinks and food for customers as well.
Most folks are patient and understand but occasionally others feel off-put. Again, I apologize that you found the service an issue. It's too bad that you found your solution a negative review. My staff worked their tails off this past weekend making hundreds (if not thousands) of people happy. Had you a tad more patience maybe you would see things a little different.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I went for the chowder - tastes great - at a very high price. Definitely a tourist trap - everything was over - priced. I tried the award - winning chowder - but I won't be back.

1  Thank IndyDave31
Chef Eric J, Owner at Tony's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Here again, and I've said it before when this rarely comes up, I will not compromise quality with our food and especially not the chowder. We use only the finest ingredients available today with DOUBLE the clams of any other chowder. Captain D's just called and they want their customer back! Since you and your wallet can't stomach a return here, please go and enjoy that all you want.