“Clam Chowder Lives Up to the Hype”

Tony's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 33 Restaurants in Cedar Key
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Description: PLEASE NOTE: Seasonal Restaurant Hours: October- November 2016 Monday thru Thursday 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM ( NOT OPEN FOR DINNER) Friday thru Sunday 11:00 AM -8:00 PM Please call ahead to verify hours before making long drives from far away.
Reviewed November 29, 2012

The clam chowder at Tony's definitely lives up the the hype. It's award-winning for a reason. Excellent!

Chef Eric J, Owner at Tony's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Thank you! There is a degree of "hype" and I assure you it's not all us. Our Chowder fans do the talking and proclaiming. I'm so grateful that you found the chowder "as advertised", so to speak.
Please return again and enjoy more. Thanks again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,459)

Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was the first restaurant we stopped at when visiting Cedar Key. I had read some great reviews and thought it would ideal for lunch.
We saw a line of people waiting outside so my husband went in to add our name to the waiting list. He was told quite rudely by the Maître d' that there would be a wait of 'at least 45 minutes and he basically discouraged us from eating there.
Needless to say we were not interested in eating there and wouldn't stop in again.

2  Thank Linda02813

How very unfortunate and I apologize. Perhaps there was some miscommunications of wait time. We do not have a Maitre d. Typical wait time can be 15 minutes depending on the size of the party. We offer benches right outside the door for folks to sit while waiting. It is so unfortunate that you chose to fire of a Trip Advisor "terrible" torpedo into Tony's hull out of frustration. Maybe that is because you are upset or jealous that so many others dined and rated us high and you did not allow yourself the chance because of a wait time. Whatever the reason, again I apologize.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

A wonderful evening meal and we had to go back next day to sample the famous clam chowder.
We will return if only to purchase another tin of the chowder which we stupidly put in our hand luggage so it never made it to the UK. And this was after being told not to by the lady who sold it to us!

Chef Eric J, Owner at Tony's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

What an absolute crying shame that the airport security crew grabbed your can of Tony's Chowder.
I'll bet we know what the security staff was eating in the employee break room for lunch that day??
Thank you so much for your desire to take Tony's Chowder international. Don't fret, we plan to invade the European market one day real soon. Maybe the Queen will get a cup and make a royal decree that the only chowder allowed in Buckingham Place is the World Champion Tony's from Cedar Key, Florida.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

If you like romantic, hole in the wall type places try it. The decor is plain ,little tables and chairs, nothing fancy but interesting nonetheless. A little expensive for the small amount of food you get , I thought ,but it is fresh and good. And the clam chowder, AWESOME!!!

Thanks for the visit and the great review. Yes, we are located in the Historic Hale Building circa 1880. A bit rustic, somewhat simple, but nevertheless the home of the 3 time World Champion Clam Chowder. I appreciate your taking the time to tell Trip Advisor followers you enjoyed your experience. Please return again soon.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

A very small, but wondeful restaurant. We have eaten here for years, and although the fried seafood is great, we really can not pass up the clam chowder. Don't miss this if you are in the area!

Chef Eric J, Owner at Tony's Seafood Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Your review is greatly appreciated. Your sentiments are supported by a very large group of people.
I'm so glad you liked my chowder. I'll keep making it and I hope you will return for more. If you can't come back anything soon order from our website. We will ship right to your door. Thanks again!