“Ask for Lisa”

Tony's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 32 Restaurants in Cedar Key
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: PLEASE NOTE: Seasonal Restaurant Hours: October- November 2016 Monday thru Thursday 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM ( NOT OPEN FOR DINNER) Friday thru Sunday 11:00 AM -8:00 PM Please call ahead to verify hours before making long drives from far away.
Reviewed September 1, 2011

What we enjoyed the most about this restaurant was a server named Lisa !!! She was efficient and knowledgeable but more important she had so much personality, she made us laugh and had lots of answers to questions she probably has to answer 20 times a day. She should be the mayor!

4  Thank Spud5154
Write a ReviewReviews (1,482)

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Dined at Tony's Seafood Restaurant while vacationing in Cedar Key. We of course had to try their world famous Clam Chowder. It was indeed the best I'd ever eaten. The restaurant is located in quaint downtown Cedar Key. The staff is wonderful and we so enjoyed not only the chowder but excellent grouper. If you go to Cedar Key this is definitely a must on your to do list.

3  Thank SueRexMichael
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Reasonable prices for lunch, but use the takeaway. Over-priced dinner menu. Little tiny dining room with no windows.

Reviewed July 30, 2011

We ate at Tony's two times while staying on Cedar Key. The first time only two members of our family ordered the chowder; on our second visit though, all four of us had large bowls. It is simply delicious--not salty, very tasty, filled with chunks of clams. The grouper sandwich is very tasty, also.

We highly recommend this restaurant. As for the patrons that say the service is too slow, we did not find this to be true.

2  Thank TMKTWisconsin
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We did a day trip to Cedar Key on July 28th. It was typical hot and humid weather here in FL. We were anxious to try Tony's based on reviews on this site. Having grown up in New England, eating chowder is not new to me. When I read about their awards in Newport, I wanted to see what was so special.

Upon entering the restaurant, I was at first dismayed as it's furnishings and ambience lack "warmth". It is one large room, with bare tables and simple wooden chairs. However, it was about three quarters full so we assumed it must be OK. Plus, it was air-conditioned!!

There were four people in our party and we sat ourselves and almost immediately were presented with menus and asked if we wanted drinks. Beer in a frosted mug tasted cool and refreshing. After looking over the menu and peeking at other tables to see what people were eating, I decided on a bowl of chowder and their fried green beans (the waiter told me they were the more poplar over the onion rings). The other foods sampled by our party were grouper sandwichs and the fried scallop plate. The sandwiches and scallops came with side choices of french fries, tossed sald, cole slaw or potato salad. DH opted for the potato salad but announced mine was better...gotta love the guy!

Now, about the chowder. We all really liked it. I even brought home a quart to have in the next few days. Although a tinge salty to my tastes, it had a great consistency (not too thick, not too thin), plenty of clam chunks, pieces of bacon and potatoes and something else that I can't identify but which gave it the tiniest hint of a spicy, (read "hot") taste. I'm not talking about anything that even the blandest food lover would find offensive, but just enough to give it character. I suspect that whatever that ingredient is gave them the edge in the chowder competition.

I enjoyed the fried green beans and was told the scallops and grouper sandwiches were very good. Comments have been made about less than good service but that was not our experience. The service was very good and the waiter made good suggestions. When we were finished, the restuarant was full of patrons.

We had traveled two hours for a day in Cedar Key and Tony's was the highlight. We'll be re-visiting them with the chowder we brought home...and in the privacy of my own home, I can lick the bowl!

3  Thank brodonTheVillages