“Faraway Inn”
Review of Faraway Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Faraway Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Cedar Key
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We have been to Cedar Key on many occasions but had not stayed at Faraway Inn before. After bringing home our rescue Rotti in December, we had to find pre-friendly accommodations for our next trip. Since we had seen and heard of Faraway that was the logical choice. We stayed in an efficiency (they have cottages and motel rooms as well) and although a tad tight space-wise, it was cozy enough for my lovely wife and I, and our new doggie. The Faraway is VERY pet Friendly and they issue you a mat and treats upon check-in. They also have books and movies to borrow while you are there. The staff were all helpful and friendly and definitely love animals. Our new Rotti felt welcomed and at home there, and made friends with all staff he encountered. Heck, he even found a little girlfriend staying in the cottage down the way! We recommend Faraway Inn whether you have a pet or not (but definitely if you do), accommodations are good, prices are reasonable, and it sits directly across from the waterfront and spectacular sunsets. Close to downtown and shopping/restaurants as well, just a short walk.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank JohnAndJude
FarawayInnCedarKey, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Thank you so much for adopting your pet and saving a life. We love them all, no matter what size or breed they are all precious gifts. We are so pleased that all of you enjoyed your stay and we welcome you back with open paws. Thank you also for taking the time to write such a wonderful review and thank you for choosing Faraway Inn to bring your Best Friend!
Happiness, Health, Woof,
Doreen and Oliver Bauer owners/inn-keepers

Reviewed February 3, 2014

I feel like I stumbled on a great secret in 2009 when we first came here so I am conflicted about giving the secret away by praising this place again and again. I want the place to myself! But I want them to stay in business, too, and I feel really good when I see NO VACANCY on their sign when I walk my dog by - that's how much I love this place - so here I go with another rave review.....We were househunting in Florida for three months last year, and Cedar Key was our first choice for a home, and Faraway Inn was our first choice to stay while househunting. I wish we could have stayed here the whole three months while househunting, but cost dictated we had to rent a house on the island instead. So we only ended up staying at the Faraway Inn in the waterfront Cottage #1 for a week. After we had checked out of Faraway and into our rental house, I would walk my dog by Cottage One, and she would try to pull me to Cottage One as if it was our home. I wish! Cottage One is a darling little cottage about 500 square feet with two large Serta beds, full size fridge, oven, microwave, all utensils and coffee supplies you need, a big wood dining table where you can sit and look out all the large picture windows at the ocean and the people walk their dogs. Ditto with the futon and the large flat panel tv. TV reception is still so-so and wifi is OK. The cottage is an older building but very well maintained and kept immaculate; it is great to pull into your little parking spot, open the door and be greeted with a nice clean smell and the music playing on the cd player. The staff is great, always very friendly and welcoming of all different types of people. At the Faraway Inn there are three other little cottages that are not waterfront, three gulf view units, and some efficiencies around the office. We can't speak for those except for one gulf view unit we stayed in back in 2009, but the gulf view unit was adorable, too (see my 2009 review). The grounds are covered with beautiful gardens and kitschy little figurines and works of art. The resident kitty was still there and as loving as ever. They got new gulf karts in the week we stayed, but the rates were higher than their competitors so we did not rent one. They still have free bikes and free kayaks. I didn't use the kayak but if I can just please nitpick, they need to get new bikes. I always had to sort through several bicycles before I found a bike that did not have a flat tire or comfortable handlebars, and they tend to be older and rusty. Nitpicking, really. You don't really need a bike to get around Cedar Key. Cedar Key is very walkable. You can walk around the entire downtown area in a matter of minutes. And if you can't walk, you can wheel around. Cars go very slowly. It is a very safe place to be. Faraway Inn is in a great location on the water but within easy walking distance to the main 2nd street and Dock Street. One must stress there are no white sandy beaches in Cedar Key except for a manmade beach at the city park. You'll need to go somewhere like Panama City Beach to get that...and deal with the hateful crowds. Cedar Key is just a quiet little island on the Nature Coast bursting with wildlife and great for doglovers as is the Faraway Inn. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Cottage #1 is best, and bring your dog!
Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank RootlessRoamer

All I can say is wow, thank you for such a wonderful review. We love when guests bring their pets (best friends) so the entire family is together on vacation, as it should be. We appreciate our wonderful guests so much. You are the reason that we exist as a small mom and pop motel and we thank you for supporting the little guys. We promise to keep the Faraway Inn a fun, clean and family place to get-a-way for many years to come. We look forward to your next visit.
Peace, Happiness and Health,
Doreen and Oliver Bauer owners/inn-keepers

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We called last minute for a room on a Saturday night and were able to book their last available cottage. It was super cute, roomy, and affordable. All staff members on the phone and in person were some of the nicest I've ever encountered. Thanks for a great experience in Cedar Key!!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
FarawayInnCedarKey, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

We are so glad that you stay with us and enjoyed your cottage. It is also awesome to hear that our staff of stars are friendly. We feel that we are very fortunate to have such a wonderful group of stars working with us to make the Faraway Inn the best it can be.

Peace, Happiness, Health and Cedar Key Cheer in the New Year 2014,

Reviewed December 25, 2013

We spent some time in Cedar Key several years ago and stayed at Pirates Cove. When I tried to get reservations there this year, they were totally booked so I called the Faraway Inn and was able to book the last available room. We didn't take advantage of the kayaks, bikes, and canoes as the weather was cool and we only stayed two nights. Other than the comfortable rooms and friendly, helpful staff, the thing we liked best was the location. We could walk everywhere - no getting in and out of the car. There are even golf carts available should a guest be unable to walk. If we come back to Cedar Key in the future, we'll definitely return to the Faraway Inn (and make our reservation far enough in advance to have a selection of accommodations to choose from).

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

We are so very pleased that you spent two enjoyable days in Cedar Key and at Faraway Inn. We try hard to make every guest as comfortable as possible. Our staff of stars are always there to make sure that your room or cottage is clean and fresh. No one is perfect and sometimes we may stumble but just let us know and we will correct the issue asap. We sure hope to have you visit our island community again when you need some R&R. Thank you for choosing us and taking the time to write a such a wonderful review.

Peace, Health, Happiness in the New Year 2014
Doreen & Oliver Bauer owner/innkeepers

Reviewed December 18, 2013

I was in Cedar Key visiting friends and was referred to the Faraway Inn by my friend, Julie. What a lovely place! And the location is ideal. This is an example of Mom & Pop motels at their best. The rooms are cute and spotless. Owners, Doreen and Oliver, are so welcoming and happy to provide you with tips for area recreation. The whole staff treats you like family. The Faraway Inn is separated from the ocean by only a small ribbon of paved road and a spectacular place to view the sunset. But you can very easily walk to the shops, restaurants and docks. It is just a delightful place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

We thrive on referrals from guests who have stayed at Faraway Inn. We are so pleased when we are able to satisfy our guests to the point they refer us to friends and family. When are doubly pleased when visitors chose mom and pop places to stay over private home rentals or condos. There are not many mom and pop places left anymore and with your support we are able to host events like Easter Egg Hunts and give out goodies to the kids at Holidays and continue our volunteer island cat spay/neuter program (TNR). When you stay at Faraway Inn you help an entire community in very special ways. Our job is to make you feel welcome and relaxed.
Peace, Health, Happiness in the New Year 2014.
Doreen & Oliver Bauer owners/innkeepers

Reviewed December 8, 2013

This place is wonderful! Very clean, great people own it and just an overall great experience! I can't wait to go back for another visit. The staff was amazing and helpful. The room was very clean and comfortable. They have golf carts for rental and free kayaks or bikes to use while you are there. Next time I will be kayaking for sure!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
FarawayInnCedarKey, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words. I hope that you were able to feel relaxed and un-stress a bit. Whenever you need some R&R from your busy hectic life you know where to call. We look forward to having you visit again. Wishing you Happy Healthy Safe Holidays!
Respectfully,

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

A lovely sweet quaint Old Florida ambience. Love the bay and use of free bikes and kayaks. Extremely friendly and dogs rule. Really great folks. Can't wait to return. Wonderful town, this is well off the beaten path. Thanx

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
FarawayInnCedarKey, Owner at Faraway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are so pleased you enjoyed Cedar Key and Faraway Inn. We hope to have you visit again soon. We have some great special into next year if you need a break after the holidays.
Peace, Happiness and Healthy Holiday Season,