“The Only Place to Eat in Cedar Key! Our New Favorite Place!”

The Pickled Pelican Bar and Eatery
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The Only Place to Eat in Cedar Key! Our New Favorite Place!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We love this place. We are staying in Cedar Key for about a month and have been to the Pickled Pelican a few times now. we have tried most restaurants here and this one is deemed our favorite by far! The food is consistently wonderful and fresh. The staff are all friendly and go above and beyond for their customers. We love the atmosphere and the outside seating is perfect too. You have to try the clam chowder, shrimp and crab cakes. Full of flavor! Lots of thumbs up for the Pickled Pelican!!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Youtime

Vilano Beach, Florida
“Outside deck with great view and average food”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

husband & I decided we wanted to visit Cedar Key and have lunch there. The restaurant we usually go to is closed. I wanted to sit outside since it was such a nice day. All the restaurants were packed due to the seafood festival that was going on. We picked this one since there wasn't a line to get in. Atmosphere was great to be on the water. Furniture was very weathered! Service was good. Food was average. I ordered a salad with Shrimp and there was so much lettuce and not enough of any goodies to make this salad anything special plus I am not a fan on eating out and having to eat with plastic forks and knives. Husband ordered the crab cake sandwich which he said was good but had better and the French fries where not fresh but the frozen kind. Overall if you want a average meal this is fine but the prices are a tad high considering what you get but I guess you pay the price for the atmosphere of being on the water.

• Visited October 2013
Perry, Florida, United States
“out of everything”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Was sad to say they were out of everything we wanted on the menu and then paid 5.00 for our tea and soda that we did not finish. Disappointed.

1 Thank Heather M
ThePickledPelican, Owner at The Pickled Pelican Bar and Eatery, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Hello,
We sincerely apologize for your experience at our establishment. Out of all the years I've been in business here the weekend before the Annual Seafood Festival has always been a very slow weekend. Due to this we did not do a very large order simply because we did not expect all the visitors that we got! We were very blessed with a surprisingly busy weekend for that time of year. I do agree that you should not have been charged for your drinks. If you wish to try us again, ask for either Dustin or Claire when you come in and we will be sure to take the $5 off of your bill as a reimbursement of your drinks. Hope to see you soon!
Starke, Florida
“Food great and enjoyed the outside seating”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We got a fish platter and shared it....fish was cooked to perfection. We enjoyed the atmosphere outside. We will return to this restaurant

Jacksonville, Florida
“Big Disappointment”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The waitress had to check with the manager on where people could sit. If he was busy, you had to wait for him to appear. Many beers on the list, yet they were out of 2 that I picked. Several wines, but only 1 by the glass. Took a long time to get food after ordered. She asked if we wanted our salads 1st, we said yes. The waitress appeared with the dinner order and salads. Should have know more issues were coming. Out of Blue Cheese dressing, the ranch dressing was served, yet it was spoiled. They offered a new salad in place of that. The grouper (grilled) was overcooked, dried out and tasted fishy. The Mahi-Mahi (grilled) was overcooked, salty and also fishy. The crabcakes were overly breaded and not very flavorful. I do not recommend this place - inspite of the prior reviews I read.

Visited October 2013
ThePickledPelican, Owner at The Pickled Pelican Bar and Eatery, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hello,
We're so sorry you had a bad experience with us. However, seeing as how both owners were there that night training your waitress, I'm going to have to suggest that some of the comments you made in your review are not the whole truth. For one, the reason your waitress had to ask me where you could sit is because you were with a large party--therefore we had to move some tables together. Seeing as how this was only her second night on the job, she was unsure of how we normally go about that (which tables we put together, where, etc.) Secondly, the reason we were "out of" the two beers you wanted (Key West Beers) is because those are seasonal beers. They are not carried year round by our supplier, therefore we have no way of getting them this time of year. Third, we do have several wines you can purchase by the bottle and one standard "house wine" served by the glass. This is something some restaurants do and we have never in our three years had a complaint about it. Fourth, yes we were out of bleu cheese dressing. We are only human after all, it happens. The ranch however, was not spoiled. We keep very good track of food dates in our restaurant and that container had just been opened and portioned up that afternoon. I tried it after the complaint and found nothing wrong with it. We continued to serve it all night without a single complaint. As far as your food, this is the first I am hearing about it. If it was not good you should have asked to speak with a manager and we would have corrected the problem for you. I feel as though however you're just making this part up. Why? Because if you had the nerve to tell your server and I quote "I tasted it [the ranch] and I almost lost my appetite" then you certainly should have no problem bringing our attention to bad food. Right? However, you didn't say a thing.

We have learned from the industry that you will never be able to please everyone and we had a feeling from the beginning that this would be "one of those tables."