“Big Disappointment”

The Pickled Pelican Bar and Eatery
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Satsuma, Florida
“Big Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

The waitress had to check with the manager on where people could sit. If he was busy, you had to wait for him to appear. Many beers on the list, yet they were out of 2 that I picked. Several wines, but only 1 by the glass. Took a long time to get food after ordered. She asked if we wanted our salads 1st, we said yes. The waitress appeared with the dinner order and salads. Should have know more issues were coming. Out of Blue Cheese dressing, the ranch dressing was served, yet it was spoiled. They offered a new salad in place of that. The grouper (grilled) was overcooked, dried out and tasted fishy. The Mahi-Mahi (grilled) was overcooked, salty and also fishy. The crabcakes were overly breaded and not very flavorful. I do not recommend this place - inspite of the prior reviews I read.

Visited October 2013
ThePickledPelican, Owner at The Pickled Pelican Bar and Eatery, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hello,
We're so sorry you had a bad experience with us. However, seeing as how both owners were there that night training your waitress, I'm going to have to suggest that some of the comments you made in your review are not the whole truth. For one, the reason your waitress had to ask me where you could sit is because you were with a large party--therefore we had to move some tables together. Seeing as how this was only her second night on the job, she was unsure of how we normally go about that (which tables we put together, where, etc.) Secondly, the reason we were "out of" the two beers you wanted (Key West Beers) is because those are seasonal beers. They are not carried year round by our supplier, therefore we have no way of getting them this time of year. Third, we do have several wines you can purchase by the bottle and one standard "house wine" served by the glass. This is something some restaurants do and we have never in our three years had a complaint about it. Fourth, yes we were out of bleu cheese dressing. We are only human after all, it happens. The ranch however, was not spoiled. We keep very good track of food dates in our restaurant and that container had just been opened and portioned up that afternoon. I tried it after the complaint and found nothing wrong with it. We continued to serve it all night without a single complaint. As far as your food, this is the first I am hearing about it. If it was not good you should have asked to speak with a manager and we would have corrected the problem for you. I feel as though however you're just making this part up. Why? Because if you had the nerve to tell your server and I quote "I tasted it [the ranch] and I almost lost my appetite" then you certainly should have no problem bringing our attention to bad food. Right? However, you didn't say a thing.

We have learned from the industry that you will never be able to please everyone and we had a feeling from the beginning that this would be "one of those tables."

Colorado City, Colorado
“Fun and local place to eat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Had dinner there one evening while in town. The upper deck seating with the view of the water was nice and of course being outside on a warm evening was an added bonus. Had a cup of their clam chowder (very good) and then shared a shrimp po boy with a friend. Very tasty. The staff was very friendly and very good, quick, efficient and they even split the sandwich and put half on our individual checks for us. There are lots of places to eat but this is certainly one to put on your list.

• Visited October 2013
“Tasty treats and attentive friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

Our family went here as a recommendation from the locals. We are glad we did! Our waitress was very friendly and knowledgable about the menu. The food was good and full of flavor. You must try the gulf shrimp. Our waitress told us about them and they sure were tasty. We also had the crab cake dinner and a chicken wrap. Everyone enjoyed everything and we will be back!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Madison386
Bushnell, Florida
“Very disappointing food, rude staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

My family went to this restaurant while on vacation. I am not one to complain at restaurants--EVER! First, the waitress brought the wrong order and then insisted that what she brought was what was on the menu...she later admitted her mistake. We all make mistakes, no big deal. Then, none of us at the table were able to eat the fish as it was slimy and "off". When I asked if we could have a different order of fish the waitress then became defensive and rude. She first told us that we were wrong because no one else had complained that day (there were 4 of us that ordered the fish). She then said that she would not comp our meals (we never asked for this), but she could give us a free dessert. I asked if we could just order another item as we were very hungry and this food was not good. She said no, but she would bring us more french fries. When I asked to speak to a manager she informed me that she was the manager and none of this was here fault...she could do nothing about it, it was not her job to know what was going on in the kitchen! Really? Anywho, we paid, left and went across the street to eat. Too bad because this place has huge potential.

• Visited August 2013
ThePickledPelican, Manager at The Pickled Pelican Bar and Eatery, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Hello,

I am sorry you had a bad experience with us. However, I do believe this review is a bit exaggerated because I was there the entire night and heard about what happened, not only from my FOH Manager but from a party located at a table near yours.

Here's what I know to be true: yes, our waitress did bring you the wrong order. A grilled chicken wrap instead of a chicken fajita wrap (or vice versa) if I remember correctly. I was in the kitchen when she brought the order back to the cook where she was told that that was the wrap you ordered and it was prepared correctly. She took the cook's word for it rather than digging through the inside of your wrap to find out. She brought the wrap back to you and delivered the cook's message. When you proceeded to point out where the differences were she offered once more to take it back and have it remade and you declined. (Side note: this cook has since been replaced.)

The rest of your party ordered our special, all you can eat fish and chips, as did a majority of the tables in the restaurant that night including the one next to you who complained about your behavior in the restaurant. Upon your first complaint of the fish your waitress happily had the cook make up four brand new orders of fish for you yet you were still unsatisfied. Your server could not understand why everyone else in the restaurant was raving about the fish yet yours was not good the first or second time. The only conclusion I can come to is that you ordered something not knowing what it would taste like and quickly found out you did not like it. But that is not the fault of my staff, some people just don't like certain types of fish.

You are also claiming that my server refused to let you order more food. That I know is a lie. I don't even need to question her on that matter because I know how long she has worked in customer service, before working for me, and I know that she would never let something like that happen in the restaurant.

Also, if your service was so terrible why did your party leave a $20 tip all together? We were all pretty shocked at that.

Also, it says a lot when other customers come to the management to apologize for another tables behavior. This is exactly what happened with you all. The table next to you, eating the same thing you were could not understand why you all were acting the way that you were. The table even questioned if you tipped because if you hadn't they were going to tip on your behalf. They felt so bad for the server that had to put up with your party.

As I have said before, you can't please everyone.
Jacksonville, FL
“Good Drinks - great waitstaff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great selection of beverages, didn't dine here - just happy hour on the outside deck. All employees were super friendly and accommodating!

Visited August 2013