“Very Disappointing...”

The Pickled Pelican Bar and Eatery
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Called into The Pickled Pelican for dinner on our last night in Cedar Key as it came recommended by our hotel and it was indeed very close.
Right from the off service was slack and looking back we should have left there and then.
When our food finally arrived the appetiser and mains came more or less at the same time. I must admit the chowder was good but the crab cakes and my seafood medley were very poor. The mac and cheese was inedible and everything on the plate smelled and tasted the same.
We would not recommend this restaurant. Food was poor service was worse atmosphere none.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife and I ate here back in March of last year and were impressed with the food we had, especially the crab bisque. What a difference this time out. The bisque still had a decent flavor and the crab meat was evident, but there was way too much thickener and no hint of sherry that made it stand out last time. The portion size also seemed a good bit smaller. The fried pickles my wife ordered were a disaster, soggy and lacking any dill pickle flavor. The hamburgers were advertised as half pound hand formed patties, but what they served was two rather small and obviously preformed patties like you'd get out of a box from the grocery store freezer. The pickle spear that came with it had an odd, 'old' taste to it and gave us a clue as to why the fried ones were so bad. On the plus side, service was good and their beer prices are better than most on Dock Street. I know this is the slow season for Cedar Key and maybe they're trying to cut corners to get through it, but based on the food we had I'd be hesitant to go back at any time.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

The building was decorated with intriguing treasures and unique art at every turn. I imagine this is not only a great place to visit for tourists, but also a hang out for locals. The outside patio is on the water and the view is breathtaking. Service was very friendly and hospitable. The prices are a little high for the quality, but the food was tasty and portions were filling. The jerk burger's patty was smaller than the 1/4lb I ordered and the amount of horseradish served on it was way too much- I recommend requesting it on the side! Overall, the experience was a good one and I would return again.

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Eat inside or out side. Become part of Cedar Keys by eating outside on the wrap around balcony. Have beer or wine while you wait for your tasty food. Wonderful salads, you will need a dogie bag, serving sizes are big, and sooo tasty.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We went on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. We were the only customers. The waitress said she was glad to see us as she made only $4 all night from the one other table she had.

I had the scallops and my wife had the oysters. We also had a bottle of wine.

All were good, and the total bill was $60 or so. A $22 tip hopefully made the waitress happy.