“Peaceful Paradise”
Review of Mermaids Landing

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Mermaids Landing
Largo, Florida, United States
“Peaceful Paradise”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We spent 4 nights at this cozy, peaceful and relaxing cottage at Mermaids Landing. The owner was super friendly and helpful; the room was very clean and well equipped with everything we needed from cooking, bbq-ing, sleeping to relaxing on the back screened in porch. Even our dogs had a great time! Was a wonderful experience, I give Mermaids Landing an A+++

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Cindy B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Port Orange, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at these cabins and we found the owner very friendly and helpful when it comes to restaurants and sightseeing. The rooms were well maintained and very reasonable. We are planning to return soon.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank george f
New Oxford, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 20, 2013

If you are looking for a relaxing, charming atmosphere in Cedar Key then Mermaids Landing is where you want to be. Places like this are disappearing; the cabins are old but clean, roomy and quiet. This is not the Ritz but it is also no where near the price of the Ritz! My husband and I enjoyed both of our stays at Mermaids Landing, the owner is friendly and helpful - the service is personable. Mermaids Landing is our only choice for accommodations when we visit Cedar Key!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kovalys
Lutz, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have to confess that I was a little apprehensive about making reservations after reading mixed reviews. Nevertheless, I made the reservation for one night. Upon arriving, the inkeeper greeted us and offered a choice of 2 available cottages. We opted for cottage #7, which is okay for 2 persons. Considering my obsessive compulsive disorder with cleanliness, I might say that it was up to my standards, with the exception of the kitchen utensils, which are not sanitized. In fact, there is a sign stating it. (I've seen that in other cottages, therefore I assume is the norm). The place is quite pisturesque. The only problem we encountered was that the toilet clogged probably with a little too much of toilet paper, for which it overflowed. After the incident, it started to work fine. We left the room thereafter for a few hours and upon returning, there was a raw sewage smell. I think it was caused by the possibility of having a septic tank in the property. It bothered for a little bit, then the smell went away; hence, we had a good night sleep. The choice is yours: conveniently located, good price and cute. If I enjoyed my stay, you should be able as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WEdmee
Fraser, Michigan
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We showed up at this "hotel" (and I use that term loosely) and checked in. After looking at the owners residence we realized we were in for a real treat. Our cabin was the pits. The bathroom door was made out of a board and didn't close/lock all the way. The front door was questionable. The place is OLD and not taken care of. It's dirty and smells bad. We drove around the area for while and decided to not stay.....Don't get me wrong. We're not prima-donas! We've roughed it in the past. This was just too nasty to stay. The front door had issues and we did not feel safe there.

Do yourself a favor, pick another place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank billee1952
hexham
Reviewed January 28, 2013

We came to Cedar Key on a recommendation from the owner of the Chassahowitzka hotel where we stayed the previous night. We had no booking for accommodation in Cedar key so just looked around until we saw somewhere we liked that was in our budget. Having seen no reviews we came as 'walk ins'. We both got a good feeling about Mermaid Landing on first sight and after looking around were delighted when we found there were vacancies.
The cottages occupy a small plot of land tucked in between some other rental businesses that run from the road down to the waters edge. We took the cottage right on the waters edge. There was a decked area out front which allowed us a great view over the estuary water where we watched the big Egrets and Herons fishing. In the evening when the tide came in we sat in awe watching the fish leap for insects and listening to Ospeys calling and soaring over the water accompanied by the sounds of the occasional 'pop' of the oysters and the big splashes of the birds plunging in the water. Wonderful.
The accommodation was excellent. The tiny, painted clapboard cottages, with their shingle roofs have, in the main, sensibly been left as they were when built, mid last century; they are full of old world charm and character- and everything works. Our room was spotlessly clean and had everything we needed for self catering. We bought some clams from the nearby roadside fish and vegetable stall and cooked them on the old gas stove, then ate out on the deck with drinks to hand as evening came in. I went out later and lay on my back to watch stars and comets in the dark night sky.
The charming owner who runs the cottages lent us DVDs from her film collection and we borrowed two of her (ancient) bikes to tour round the town and surrounding area. She told us she is thinking of leaving Cedar Key having been there 14 years.
Personally I would think it a shame were the cottages to be sold and then possibly 'renovated' badly. Where we come from (Northumberland UK) these buildings would have preservation orders on them. Yes, there are repairs and updates needed here and there ( which the owner does herself) but it cant be easy running such a place all on your own. (Reviewers, you have to keep it in perspective).
We enjoyed two peaceful nights for very reasonable rates and probably would have stayed longer at this great little place had time permitted.
I came away thinking we perhaps need to be careful that we treasure, appreciate and support our built heritage, (and maybe those who are its loving custodians too), no matter how small or insignificant it might appear, lest it disappear, like so much of value often does.

Room Tip: Get the cabin on the waterfront, No. 4.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank willffy
Temecula, California
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I can truly appreciate 'old Florida'...however, there is a reason that this establishment had vacancys when the rest of the island was booked solid. It's a Dump.
We stayed in cabin #3 for 3 nights, if there was another place to go we would have. There is no housekeeping...you have to beg for clean towels, toilet paper, etc....provided by a person that clearly does not enjoy being an innkeeper.
The room had a closed up/mildew smell that I could not eliminate even after spraying the room down with Lysol and leaving the windows open. It was filthy, I swept the floor and rug and got a pile of dog fur....the refrigerator was lined with mold, covered with grime and came equipped with a moldy cigarette. The mattresses were old and had holes in them, the sheets were threadbare, the kitchen table had a mysterious substance that had to be chiseled off before we could use it.
The location is lovely on the bay, however, the furniture provided to sit on was covered in filth and bugs....
If staying in the area, I recommend staying at another location...there are quite a lot of cabin rentals in the area that are much nicer and have a friendlier owner.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family