“Very relaxing weekend - in Rm 23!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Island Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Cedar Key B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 21, 2007

We wanted to stay in a "haunted" B&B, so we booked a room at the Island Hotel. They gave us #23, which we stayed in for 2 nights. Yes, there is something to this paranormal stuff, because we had definite activity, especially after dark! Nothing evil or malicious, just playful, and curious. Both nights, we heard my necklace being placed BACK down on the table beside the sink! We were in bed at the time! We saw several shadows at various times, and one night we woke up cold - because the covers were pulled all the way off the bed! Because there is no TV or radio in the room, I chose to take my OWN radio; Both nights, while listening to music to sleep by, the station would have static from time to time... although it was crystal clear in the daytime!
Definitly recommended - not a scary place at all! Playful ghosts!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank les31

Reviewed July 5, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Island Hotel for two nights recently. Here's the good, the bad and the ugly. Good: Best french toast this FT enthusiast has ever enjoyed. Very friendly staff. Great, central location for exploring the small town. Nice decor with two comfy lobbies and a nice balcony for reading and relaxing. The bad: Because the floor had a serious slope, sleeping was rather uncomfortable. The "upslope" partner kept rolling into the downslope partner. Additionally, the mattress was a bit concave, adding up to two sleepless nights. The highly-touted dinner was rather disappointing, and not inexpensive. The menu was creative and we had a tough time choosing our entrees. They did not live up to the delicious descriptions, I'm afraid. The ugly: The bathroom sink was rusted out and the toilet wobbled somewhat alarmingly. Finally, because the front desk (and front door) shut rather early in the evening, if you wanted to stay out a bit and explore the town, you had to return to your room via a back-of-the-hotel fire escape metal staircase. (Ladies with skinny heeled-shoes, consider yourselves warned!) This is not an ideal way to end an evening.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Trigold
Reviewed June 15, 2007

A historic hotel that maintains it authenticiy while being clean and comfortable. Beds were comfy, people were friendly and helpful. Resteraunt was a very pleasent surprise. Excellant dinner and great complimentary breakfast the next day. Decent wine list. Cute bar with entertainment, seems to be a local hangout. Our room was over the bar so was kind of noisy untll 11 pm on a Sun. ngiht but then total silance. Several shops and gallaries near by. A rustic, casual, beach island lost in time. Defenitely not a St. Armands Circle or South beach so if that's what you want, this is not it. Check out their website for the ghost story, which we didn't see.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed March 6, 2007

Stayed and ate at the island hotel. it's a nice town but warning there is not much to do. The water is not like what most people expect to see in FL. It's very dark brown which is supposed to be great for the commercial fisherman. The best restaurant in town is at the island hotel and the rest are known to be terrible. I highly recommend the island hotel but don't go looking for clearn blue water, white sandy beach and a lot to do.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank SallyTanner
Reviewed February 28, 2007

Dined at the Island house on a Saturday evening. The woman who was at the desk was both the hostess and the registar for the hotel rooms that are on the second floor of the building. She was snippy when she spoke to us, peered at us like we were not good enough to eat there; we were dressed in jeans but had on nice shirts and dressed like most other diners.

We were seated at our table and fortunately our waitress was a complete 180 in personality. Very nice, extremely accomodating and answered all of our questions thoroughly. We ordered a cup of crab bisque, which was outstanding, the fresh baked rolls with asiago were served piping hot. Our salads were served with home made dressing and the vegetables were very crisp. My entree was delicious. I highly recommend the stuffed grouper. One of my dinner partners had the fish, shrimp and scallops with gerlic butter sauce and found the garlic to be overbearing, I am sure you could ask the chef to go light on the garlic.

Between courses I went to use the bathroom. I had to go thru the tiny dimly lit bar area and thru a small dining area off the barall the way in the back. It was so dark you could hardly read the plaques on the doors. Once I figured out which door was right; I opened it and had the shock of experiencing one of the most dank bathrooms. The sink looked as though it might fall off the wall, there was rust on the sink where the faucet had rusted and dripped down in the sink. The walls were raw wood and dirty and there were no hand towels in the dispenser. While I realize this is a historic building, this was unacceptable. The island House bills itself as fine dining establishment, they need to address the bathroom.

This is a slow paced restaurant and the waitress warns you of that. We were there for 2 hours and 15 minutes. The chairs are a hard wood and our fannies were getting sore after sitting so long.

All in all, if you can avoid the bathroom, get over the snippy hostess and dont mind waiting 30 minutes in between courses, I recommend it.

8  Thank Likestodine07
Reviewed January 13, 2007

This was a quaint hotel with tons of character and history. The hospitality by the 4 or 5 staff members was like nothing I had ever seen...I can't believe the personalized attention we received despite this minimal staff. Andy wore several hats over the weekend and was always smiling and friendly. Breakfast was very good, and it was amazing that one waitress and one cook (Andy, who was also running the front desk) and one waitress could serve all of the guests over a one-hour period!
A few complaints...1) Room #23's "bathroom" consisted of a watercloset in the corner that barely fit a toilet and my knees (I'm 5ft4). It's walls did not go to the ceiling, so there was no privacy whatsoever. The tub was a quaint claw tub in the corner of the rooom with a shower curtain around it. NOT a good room unless you are alone or VERY comfortable with your roommate! It was otherwise a great room and very clean.
2) How water kept going out during our showers and water pressure went down to nothing....3) No ghosts...or maybe they are to blame for complaint number 2??

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank calgontakemeaway7
Reviewed September 5, 2006

I just spent Labor Day weekend there with a friend. Stanley and Andy were very nice and checked in with us to ensure we liked our dinner at the restaurant there. The small bar is terrific, but cozy. The breakfasts were wonderful. The only problem was that there was no tv in the room, which could be a good thing if not on the first weekend of college football! The large porch upstairs was a great place to end an evening.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends