“These guys screwed us over, BIG TIME!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cedar Key
Island Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 3 Cedar Key B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“These guys screwed us over, BIG TIME!”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

First of all, we have stayed in this hotel several times and, overall, we liked it. It is quaint and the food was good. We recommended it often to our friends. I even posted the promotional video from Charley Belcher's One Tank Trips on my Facebook page because we were staying there when it was filmed and we are actually in the video briefly. Anyways, we booked a three night stay for this year's seafood festival. This is a big event for this little town and because all hotels sell out, we booked eight months in advance. We booked via their web site. It is not a sophisticated reservation system. You basically fill out a small form requesting a room and the dates you will be there. They respond via email asking for a credit card number which I sent. Then you hear nothing from them again. No confirmation number, no 'Thanks, we got your info', nothing. Since I wanted to be sure they got everything they needed, I sent a follow up email asking if my reservation was good, and received a reply that everything was good. October comes and I drive over two hours from the Tampa area and go to check in and, you guessed it, they don't have our reservation or any evidence that we ever made one. I kept all the emails and showed them to the girl at the front desk. She was apologetic at first, then got rude. Her story changed several times, one of them being that the owner calls each guest two weeks before the stay to voice confirm the reservation. If she is unable to reach the party, she cancels the reservation. First of all, if this is true, when all of my contact with them has been via email, why wouldn't they email me to confirm? And secondly, if this is their policy, why do they even bother taking credit card numbers? It makes no sense. I assumed that since they had that info that I would be charged for the stay whether I showed up or not. Either way, they get their money. Heck, I would have been willing to pay for the entire stay at the time of booking! When I pointed this out to the front desk clerk, she told us that the owner "likes it to be full" The owners were out of town at the time. (Why you would be out of town on the biggest weekend of the year is beyond me.) All the other hotels on the island have been booked solid for months so I turned around and drove two hours back home, a grown, 43 year old man crying the entire way. When I got home, I sent the owner an email with copies of our email exchanges simply asking her, what happened? Her response was to blame me, saying that the emails didn't come from them even though it clearly shows their email address and the form from their site. All I wanted was for her to take responsibility for her mistake and simply apologize for it. A smart business person would have even offered a free meal or a discount on a future stay or something, considering I am a repeat guest and have spent over $1000 on food and lodging here in the past. I got none of that. In fact, I didn't even get a reply to my 2nd email. What a classless individual. I will never stay here again and I will warn my friends and family against it as well.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
17 Thank Kurt_OBrien

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Koudekerk aan den rijn, Netherlands
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We enjoyed a great stay in Cedar Key. The staff was very nice. The room (33) was good enough. It was clean, had a nice bathroom. Breakfast was good, friendly waitress.
It is located conveniently on a 5 min walk to the marina.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jvdp11
Davie, Florida
Reviewed August 26, 2013

The Island Hotel & Restaurant on Cedar Key, Florida is a hidden gem. No wonder Jimmy Buffett himself played and hung out here.

Eight words best describe this gem: Friendly, laid-back, gourmet food, an overall delight!

Andy the owner, Deanna front desk manager, Angie the bartender, Richie the waiter, Kaitlyn the waitress and the rest of the staff are genuinely friendly and a real pleasure. The food is prepared with care and professional culinary expertise.

The overall ambiance is relaxing yet exciting with a nightly rollicking bar full of friendly talkative locals and hotel guests. The outside upstairs veranda has nice rocking chairs and a 3 seater swing just perfect for sipping wine and watching the tropical downpour while staying dry. There are cool stories of ghosts but none were experienced by us during our 3 night stay.

All in all a really nice B&B. I see why folks keep coming back year after year. Captures the elegance of old Florida mixed with the modern-day WiFi-enabled comfortable clean hotel you'd expect to find if you chose the right place to stay.

Try the hearts-of-palm salad and Island Hotel Clams. Mmmm mmmm great! Hopefully you'll see the soldier at daybreak guarding the entrance to the upstairs verandah!

Tell 'em Bill & Donna from Davie Florida sent ya!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Venice, Florida, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This past weekend we stayed at the Island & Restaurant in Cedar Key, Florida. It is an old hotel with lots of character and Victorian decor. We stayed in room 29 which is Bessie Gibbs old room. She was a former owner for many years. She is one of the ghosts who famously haunt the hotel. I didn't see any ghosts, but I did scare myself Friday night while reading about it! There are no T.V.s or telephones, but there is a in and out WiFi. That's okay because the upstairs porch with the rocking chairs and cushioned swing made up for it! Cool town and great food. Friendly guests and awesome staff. A must for romantic weekends. Especially great if you like a taste of old Florida and its history!!!

Room Tip: If you like a king size bed and don't mind a small shower pick room 29.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Osteen, Florida
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Whenever we come to town, we stay at this hotel. The rooms are always clean and transport you back in time. The way things used to be. I love the antiques and decor. There is lounge with great food and even better drinks. There was a story about the painting on the wall and two bullet holes. Go in and hi to Kelly for me!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Did you notice how many reviews mention that the hotel as "old", it sure is and we truly enjoyed it. Last year during our first trip to Cedar Key, we stayed somewhere else but stopped in at the bar at the Island Hotel and we were intrigued with the place and knew we had to stay there sometime. We made this trip at the very last minute for our 39th wedding anniversary, there was only one night available for that that weekend and we truly wished that we could have had more time there. We arrived early in the afternoon, had a very warm reception at the front desk, we were able to check in early & were given an orientation to the hotel and the offer to use the golf cart around town which we regret that we declined. Our room, number 29, was very clean and very comfortable. The shower in this room could be a challenge for someone tall or with a larger frame as the shower head was low and the space was small but it worked for us. We were told when we called for the reservations that there are no TV's or phones in the rooms so that wasn't a surprise. That afternoon, the doors to many of the rooms were open as they were not yet occupied so we wandered around peeking into them on our way to spend some leisurely time on the balcony enjoying the porch swing and we couldn't have picked a better way to spend some of our time on a very quiet afternoon. We had dinner in the restaurant, it was delicious! then we enjoyed the music in the bar which was great entertainment (Friday nights only)! We had a very comfortable night's sleep. The breakfast that was included was another delicious meal, I had the french toast & my husband had the eggs. All made for a very relaxing stay. And as it has been stated in previous reviews, if you are looking for new or perfect, this isn't it, if what you are looking for if you want warm hospitality, clean accommodations and charm, then you have to try it. We will be back for another stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Gustavus, Ohio, United States
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Could not have had a better time. The staff was excellent, good breakfast, rates were good and room was wonderful. The location is with in walking distance of everything. The hotel has a wonderful balcony to relax on and enjoy the evening with a cocktail and friends. If you are looking to stay at a sterile brand new boring 5 star hotel it's probaly not for you but if you want old historic Florida charm this is the place. We plan on returning yearly.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 29 but they all looked great if you are looking for brand new it's not for you if...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple