“A Great 2 Days in Carrabelle”

The Old Carrabelle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Carrabelle B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Newnan, GA
“A Great 2 Days in Carrabelle”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Just got back from 4 days on the Forgotten Coast, 2 in Carrabelle and 2 in Apalach.
The Old Carrabelle Hotel is quite nice; quiet rooms, comfortable beds, nice amenities.
Skip and Kathy are excellent hosts.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank wd4pag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed September 11, 2011

After viewing this place online, I called and booked a room. My husband and I wanted a nice, quiet place to enjoy our anniversary and that is exactley what we got. We stayed in the magnolia room, which was decorated really pretty..loved the color used in the room. Just outside our room was a door going to the porch where we had drinks at night and our coffee in the morning. Although you don't have breakfast there, the owners give you a voucher to use at 2 Al's restaurant. Our breakfast both days was really good. Skip, the owner was really nice. We enjoyed our chats and his helpful advice of the area. The only thing I would change is that there could be a small refrigerator in the room. I hate lugging a cooler around. We would definately recommend this place to our family and friends !

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank gahockygrl
London
Reviewed September 1, 2011

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel through a website called airbnb and were so glad we did. From arrival until departure we had the best 24 hours the house was so romantic and made me feel as though I truly was in the south of America. We went to the carrabelle beach in the evening and had a picnic and then my boyfriend proposed at sunset. So carrabelle will stay in our hearts forever and we will defiantly be back.

• Stayed August 2011
4 Thank trix_vix
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Upon arrival we checked ourselves in with ease and simple instructions. We stayed mid week and things were slow, no complaints from me. Last night we had the cozy living room to ourselves and watched a movie on demand. Our sweet dog laid on the rug in front of us. We had the captains quarter on the first floor. Nice room. The beds wiggled a bit as you rolled over, after we woke each other up a few times we decided to use both beds and then slept quite well. The city of Carrabelle is quite small, a few great local type restaurants close by, one right next door. All the food has been surprisingly excellent. I don't know what I would do if I spent a whole week here but it is great for three nights. They include a breakfast voucher with your room and you get a choice of two restaurants. Two Als restaurant said we could also use it for breakfast or lunch. I would have loved a swing on the porch, the rocking chairs were a nice substitute. Great breezes on the second floor porch, nice trees and palm trees make you feel like you are in a tree house and provide privacy and shade. There is a bar off the living room, bring your own everything. One complaint, the cups for coffee and drinks are styro or plastic, I hate drinking coffee out of styro but I usually have a ceramic mug in the car. If you like it nice and cool, as my husband and dog do you will love it, I needed to wear my socks to keep my feet warm but am not complaining. The shower was great, bathroom great, lots of towels, clean clean clean. Everything worked, great eye appeal. A very pleasant experience, exceeded expectations.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank juliette1953
skipfrink, Owner at The Old Carrabelle Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
We enjoyed meeting the Whole family! Hope to see the east coast of Florida one day soon, if we ever get some time off!
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 15, 2011

It's harder and harder to find the Florida of my childhood memories - actually the reason for the trip. The Old Carrabelle Hotel filled the bill. If you are seeking the anti-Holiday Inn, this is it. My husband and I stayed in the Flamingo Room. It was quiet, cool (very important in Fl. Aug.), clean and comfortable. I had to laugh at the review that said there was no lock on the upstairs veranda. Nothing seems quieter or safer than the Old Carrabelle. We especially enjoyed sitting out on the upstairs veranda and reading.
My son and family stayed in the Winchester Cottage, also rented by Skip and Kathy. That allowed us to cook and hang out as a family. It couldn't have been more perfect for a multi-generational family that likes the comfort of home, but more privacy than a bed and breakfast affords. To say the hotel is "downtown" is a bit of stretch; it's more "downvillage." By the end of our weeklong stay, I think we probably met most of the inhabitants as we walked back and forth from the water and/or the ice cream shop.
The hotel is 25 min. from St. George Island which has the most beautiful public park/beach, less than an hour from Wakulla, 20 mi. or so from Apalachicola, and minutes from the marina where my son caught our dinner most nights. We also had exceptionally good dinners at the Old Salt Restaurant which is next door to the hotel.
As I said in the thank you note I left (yes, people do that at the Old Carrabelle) I felt like we had been visiting very hospitable old friends.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank NOLAgirll
durham, nc
Reviewed July 31, 2011

This hotel is a in beautifully restored home in Carrabelle - a working deep water port on Florida's forgotten coast that's known for fantastic fishing. Skip and his wife have created a charming little getaway in an intriguing little town. It was my first time on the Forgotten Coast and the beauty of the area is astounding. The town is adjacent to salt marshes and is beautiful, with lots of live oak trees lining the streets.
I called Skip at the last minute and fortunately he had a room available for me, The Magnolia Room. It was a comfortable room with a spacious bathroom. There's a balcony porch off of the hallway with two chairs for each room so you can sit outside. The Magnolia Room has the most private seating area, apart from being close to the door to get in/out of the porch.
With each night's stay you get a free breakfast coupon to 2 Al's Cafe - which is down highway 98 a couple of miles west. It was a great breakfast and Al recommended that I go visit the dwarf cypress grove in Tate's Hell National Forest - which I most certainly did. It is amazing and should not be missed.
I went out and had a walk around town and found a little bar called Harry's Bar which has been open since the 1940's. Had a couple of beers there and met some of the local characters - it was an excellent stay.
This would be a great hotel to rent out for the weekend with a group of friends.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank dollymama
Reviewed July 22, 2011

This was supposed to be a "feet up on the ottoman" weekend but there were too many neat things to do! We started with the complementary breakfast at 2 Als and then took out the hotel canoe for a morning spin around a flat bay. Checked out the lighthouse and then drove to Apalachicola to check out antique shops. That night we dined next door in an fantastic Old Florida style restaurant and watched "cheesy" movies at the Monkey Bar in the hotel. Next morning we walked the beach accompanied by a group (herd?) of dolphins 10 feet away from us.
My only disappointment was that there wasn't a ghost. Every old place in Florida needs a ghost.
Next time we're going to hit some of the hiking trails. I'll put my feet up when I stay home.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank silver_weasel1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrabelle
St George Inn
Coombs House Inn
Coombs House Inn
#1 of 3 in Apalachicola
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,094 reviews

Been to The Old Carrabelle Hotel? Share your experiences!