“Local Resident”

New England Moorings
Ranked #11 of 463 Restaurants in Cape Coral
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A few lines to introduce myself. My name is Al Whelan, I am from Boston and worked at a famous "waterfront dive" known as Kelly's Landing. A seafood business in a Catholic community with lines down the street, literally. I worked there for five summers and enjoyed every minute of it. My first date with the counter girl (she couldn't resist a man in a paper hat), my first kiss, etc. One rule was demanded, cooking with clean oil! In those days it was lard! Today we use canola oil both on the grill side and on the fry side... Most of our dinners are on the grill side. Fish shrimp, scallops, steaks, ribs, chicken and pork round off our menu. Our Irish Connoli is like a little piece of heaven and our homemade bread pudding is to die for. Both topped off with sweet whipped cream. We've added a 6000 square foot patio surrounded by trees. A truly private and romantic spot. Also some added features such as, a basketball cage, beer pong table and corn hole court.
Reviewed June 1, 2013

First time to this place was 2002 when closing on our home. This place is "Old Florida" in décor and mimics a lot of restaurants in Key West, FL. The owner visits with patrons and the meals we have had there over the years have always been good. Our most recent visit was a couple of days ago using a Groupon our menu choice cuisine was very good. The Key West Seafood Chowder excellent and my scrod broiled fish dinner the same. Wife enjoyed her shrimp, scallop and crab cake sautéed with butter and garlic dinner. Salad bar is good but small. You sit inside or outside in the court yard. The place is off the beaten path on a side street that runs parallel to the main thoroughfare DelPrado Blvd. Atmosphere is kind of off the wall and background music low volume rock videos.. .

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Should checked out Trip Advisor first before buying the Groupon. Lesson learned. Got a Groupon for dinner. Out of clam chowder because it was a holiday weekend. We were there on Thursday night before Memorial weekend. Salad bar had iceberg lettuce only and a couple of pasta salads. Ordered mussels in wine and garlic sauce. Tasteless. Most of the mussels were tough. When I was on my next to last mussel there was something on my plate...not sure what it was but looked hairy and about the size of a dime. Showed it to the waitress and she just said "Hmmm, what could that be?" Grossed me out!!! Music on the patio was hard rock provided from video on TV. Not dining music for sure. Really wanted to have a delicious New England style dinner. Won't go back again!

2  Thank Boater59
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We bought a Groupon for this place and used it last night for our first visit. The place is "old Florida" style with a quaint outdoor patio eating area and small but adequate salad buffet. Al, the owner/chef came out with a "sampler" plate and introduced himself. He's got a great sense of humor and the food on the plate was excellent. I thought that was a nice touch. It felt like we were at a friends house just "hanging out" on his patio.
The menu is a little limited, but our selections were done to perfection. My wife had the fried shrimp and I had the "famous fishermens platter". The food was great! I will try to get that all steamed or broiled next time as I am trying to limit my fried food intake. Before we left, Al came out again with two complimentary Homemade "Irish Con-o-lys" (as he spells it) and they were really sweet and tasty! Kudos to Al and his crew. We will be going back often, coupons or not!!

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I was reading the comment from the owner and I disagree... I have been a repeat diner at many restaurants in my 50+ years. Some are outstanding every single I time I have eaten there. I agree that if you have a bad experience... give it another shot, might have been a "one off" . But this WAS our second visit to New England Moorings. First time it was "ok" but they were out of the full belly clams which is why we chose to come... and drive nearly 20 miles. My husband is from New England and he misses the food, so we are always looking for authentic "steamers" When I saw the Groupon for NEM we thought we'd give it another try. WHAT?? They were out of clams again??? ON a Saturday night???? Again, the food was just "ok". So we gave it two shots, there is a VERY good New England seafood restaurant that is a further drive but we have been there 1/2 dozen times and it is EXCELLENT every single time AND they have had steamers every single time we have been there. That's where we will spend our money from now on.. Lesson learned.

2  Thank Doxylady
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is second time we have ate there and the reason because we had a coupon. It seems the inventory of beer selection in on the slim side and twice that that we visit there they seem to be out of clams. They claim to be a NE restaurant but they are out certain foods. One thing for sure it is never crowded. Twice that we have been there, it has always been a couple people there only with one waitress. If your craving a certain food, make sure you have more than one option to choice from, since they always seemed to be out of something even though it is on the menu.