“Local joint with a lot of character”

Bubba's Roadhouse & Saloon
Ranked #56 of 438 Restaurants in Cape Coral
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Peanut shells on the floor. Large portions. Great deals on steaks, fajitas, and ribs. Very comfortable, friendly, and with lots of local flavor. Karaoke on Thursday nights "rocks". Definitely a Cape Coral experience!

Reviewed July 14, 2013

One of the best bargains in town are the early bird specials (3-6 pm) at Bubba's. For example, the BBQ Chicken's early bird price is $6.95 and the regular is $11.95. I love that dish--the chicken is moist and tasty. Hubby likes the Atlantic Salmon (early bird $9.95, regular $12.95.) Those are just two reasons there's a looong line outside Bubba's at 5 pm. During snowbird season, we don't even go unless we can eat at 4 pm. The parking is limited and people tend to take their time when eating at Bubba's. Another reason we don't go when there's a line is because one time we were waiting and waiting and didn't get called. Somehow they had lost our name or got confused. We were not only hungry; we were not happy.

My favorite dish is the Tex-Mex Fajitas for only $10.95. Unlike most restaurants that charge a higher price for beef, Bubba's has the same price for a choice of beef, chicken or a mix of both, which is really nice. It's so much food, the 4 plates fill the table: one plate with the sizzling meat, one with the cold fillings (lettuce, sour cream, pico de gallo); one bowl with the black beans (which is one of the side choices) and of course the tortilla container. I normally only eat 1/3 to 1/2 of my meal and take the rest home.

The chef is in a glass room near the center, so you can actually watch your dish being grilled. BUT if you sit too close to the grill, it could be too warm for you, so we prefer to sit near a ceiling fan.

We've been there many times (always for dinner), and the food has always been good. I personally don't like walking on peanut shells, but hey, the free peanuts are worth it! In addition to the peanuts, the meals come with a cornbread muffin that's good with or without butter.

You have a choice between soup or salad, but if it's your first time at Bubba's, you gotta try the famous Roadhouse Salad. It's Fucillo Huge and very filling! It's chock full of bacon, hard cooked eggs, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes--it's so delicious that even though I don't like ranch dressing, I get it with ranch and love it. (I think the other choice is Thousand Island or something else I detest.)

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because of the service. We have always had nice, friendly servers. HOWEVER, this last time we went, the server tried to charge my husband the regular price for his early bird salmon. First she said "You never mentioned it was the early bird salmon." When he said he did, she claimed she didn't hear him. Well, isn't that irrelevant? We were clearly there way before 6 pm, she knew the menu well, and she wasn't an inexperienced server. And she doth protest too much when she insisted "I'm not lying." O-kay, whatever. But I still tipped my usual 20% on the off chance I was wrong... but I wasn't.

This is not an elegant looking restaurant. It's very old and rustic, but who cares? The food is great and it's fun throwing peanut shells on the floor!

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Adequate... It's sort of like damming with faint praise. The food was ok. The ambiance was ok. Price was ok. I was with a large group so maybe that's not the fairest way to judge my most recent visit to Bubbas. But, I've been there before with just a couple of people and there's nothing special to recommend. It's a roadhouse & saloon with peanuts to toss around. The salad they're "renowned" for was tired with sparse dressing. The baby back ribs were dry yet drenched in barbeque sauce. Rolls were dry and tasteless. The saving grace was a very friendly wait staff. All in all, there are a lot of other/better choices in the Cape.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

First things first - if you are looking for a fine dining experience, romantic and clean place, don't bother. If you are looking for a fun, you have all my recommendations.
As a first time europian visitor in States, I' ve never experienced something like this before.
We stopped in for a dinner in a midweek. The place was heaving and we were offered a drink at the bar while waiting for a free table. Nice cold beer, peanut shells all over the place and a good live music made our waiting very enjoyable. My steak with salad was very tasty and cooked to perfection. Loved the ranch dressing. Others from our party enjoyed their meal too. Great fun, great food and great helpful staff. What more can you ask for?

1  Thank 8munros
Reviewed June 20, 2013

After many years of wanting to go to Bubba's, I will not be going back. Our last two visits were very disappointing and the quality is longer what it used to be. The salad mixed and served table-side is still great, other than that, it's all less than average.