“Needs a lot of work, starting with the cooks”
Review of Crazy Olive - CLOSED

Crazy Olive
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Waitress was wonderful and attentive, bread and salads were great, great drinks selections but that's where it ends...

I think we waited over 30 minutes for our meals to arrive after our salads. We had a party of 5 and only 1 meal (the pasta dish) was not messed up. Everyone received the wrong sides. A steak was ordered medium and came out extremely thin and well done, 3 fish meals were all overdone (one was actually hard on the bottom and inedible), sauces ordered with the fish were way too watery, and potatoes were served frozen solid in the center.

The manager came over and apologized, taking the steak and 1 fish meal off our bill. We won't go back again, which is a shame because it was nice being able to go somewhere for dinner that offered a great, live band before 9pm. The cooks should know how to prepare steak and seafood if they are going to offer these items as half of their menu.

1  Thank RRobinson1018

Reviewed May 14, 2013

After reading a very favorable review from our local dining critic I was looking forward to our first visit to The Crazy Olive. A group of five of us decided to go last night. Our overall impression after the meal was that this establishment is, at least for now, average at best. We arrived for our 6:30 PM reservation and were greeted and seated immediately by a very friendly hostess. The first thing we noticed was the musical entertainment. It was a single guy singing and playing the guitar. His selections were on the folksy side and he had, what I considered to be, a good voice. The only problem was that he was MUCH TOO LOUD. We asked twice that he lower the amp, to no avail. We could hardly hear each other talk over the music. This type of entertainment might be appropriate for a bar or possibly outside seating. But it was not right for an inside dining establishment. Our waiter, who was also very congenial and as helpful as could be expected, was at the table a short time later to take our drink orders. The first person ordered a glass of white zinfandel and was advised that they had run out. Mind you, this is 6:30 PM on a Monday. She accepted a substitute which, in her words, was "just OK". The rest of the drinks were ordered without problem. Not long after that we ordered salads which took less than 10 minutes to arrive. They were nicely prepared and tasty. For some reason the bread didn't arrive until we were almost done with the salads. However, it was worth waiting for. Unfortunately, the bread and accompanying plates of olive oil and olive salad were the best part of the meal. The diner menu is extensive with a varied choice of meats, fish, sauces and pasta. It was almost overwhelming having so many options. But, of the five meals that were ordered only one person said they would order theirs again. That was the lobster mac & cheese, which was described as "excellent, one of the best ever". The tilapia was nothing special. One dish of pasta with shrimp and vodka sauce was good, nothing more. One dish of pasta with chicken and meat sauce was described as tasteless and adding salt, pepper and cheese didn't help. I ordered the seafood scampi. The pasta was cooked nicely and there were quite a few large shrimp and scallops. The shrimp were cooked properly but a few of the scallops were a bit overdone and rubbery. The real problem was again the taste. There wasn't any. It was as if everything had been cooked in plain water and served without any garlic or spices. All the portions, except the fish, were very large. But if you can't taste what you're eating what good is a large portion. As we left we were thanked by both our waiter and the hostess, which was a nice touch.

We might try this place again to see if the food gets any better or the music gets any lower. But for now I could not recommend this establishment to anyone looking for a good meal in the Cape.

Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Went for Mother's Day; took my wife, mom, and mother in law. Place has a really nice vibe and atmosphere. We decided to sit outside because it was nice. Good idea until it got dark. They barely have lights outside; even the waitress said it to us. The waitress was extremely slow. Couldn't really help us with the menu and when we ordered a beer it never came. She remembered when we had almost finished dinner telling us that they had ran out of that beer. Didn't even offer us another drink. The food was okay; pizza was nothing out of this world. My wife had the angel hair pasta with shrimp in a Gorgonzola Sauce; not that bad. Shrimps were hard. Another thing was that the menu is a little pricey for a local joint. Overall not a bad place but I probably won't return on my own. M

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Lots of creative drinks to choose from. Reasonably priced, too. The food was good (not spectacular) but good, plentiful and fairly priced. They are still working out some of the bugs in staffing. We waited 25 minutes for a table then walked into a room with lots of vacant seating. Servers are friendly, helpful, and the manager came around to check up on the customers.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

The Crazy Olive has lots of competition almost across the street, namely well known Italian and Seafood chain restaurants both operated by the same nationwide group.

That being said, The Crazy Olive DEFINITELY deserves a visit from you.

My wife and I recently dined for the first time there, and were very pleasantly surprised!

My wife's Grouper Dinner ($22), was Excellent, and she chose the citrus burre blanc sauce. She said it rated 5 stars!

I chose the Pollo Rustico ($16), ...Chunks of Grilled Chicken sauteed with roasted red peppers, mushrooms, spinach and bacon in a Rose Sauce tossed with Penne Pasta.

There is NO entree priced more than $22, most are in the $14 t0 $18 range.

Her Grouper WAS AUTHENTIC, locals know what I am referring to here. It was also a VERY LARGE piece, so in my opinion not overpriced at all.

My Entree was served in a large bowl, not on a plate, and even though I was hungry and 200 lbs. plus I still brought half of it home because I was comfortably full.

Her Grouper came with 2 sides, the typical potato variations and vegetable choices

My Pollo Rustico was not served with choice of sides, but both meals also came with choice of salds, my wife choosing a house, with a Caesar for me.

ALL the food was Excellent, including the Ciabatta Bread that is served with BOTH a olive oil dipping sauce and an interesting chopped olive spread.

Want more bread?

Just ask.

We literally brought home 4 "doggie bowls" of food that will be enough to make another meal tonight.

Our server was excellent, the wait time for the food was not long, and you could tell they really are giving the place their best shot.

A drawback? Iced Tea variations, (surprisingly no sweet tea), and Soft Drinks are $2.50,

Try it...we WILL BE BACK, and so will you!