“Pizza & Mussels???”

Carmine Street N.Y. Pizza & Mussels
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Carmine Street N.Y. Pizza & Mussels has brought some of that West Village charm and authentic Italian-New York flavor to Southwest Florida.Here at Carmine Street, we are all about thin, crispy, New York-style crust. We achieve it by using a stone-brick oven that fires our pies at searing temperatures, crisply cooking the dough. You can choose traditional toppings, or opt for one of our specialty pies such as Chicken Marsala, Eggplant or Tomato Basil Garlic.In addition to our famous pizzas we are known for our namesake mussels. Enjoy a giant bowl of plump, juicy, beautifully tender mussels swimming in your choice of spicy red sauce or garlicky white accompanied by our homemade focaccia.Our menu has a little something for everyone, from Pasta Fagioli Anthony to Broccoli Rabe with Sausage over penne pasta you will forget that you are in Cape Coral.
Punta Gorda, Florida
“Pizza & Mussels???”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Found this place by accident, kind of hidden when you are driving down the busy highway. Hard to imagine a restaurant that serves pizza and mussels, but Carmine does and am told both are excellent. I had the lobster ravioli and my husband ordered the Eggplant Parmigiana dish. Both were excellent. We sat outside and listened to great music. Outdoor music group was very good and a pleasure to listen to. Good saxophone player. Great place to unwind, don't have to dress up, but enjoy great food.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank pmiller00

Fort Myers, Florida
“A little disappointed.”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I grew up in New York, and absolutely love mussels, so when Groupon offered a deal for this establishment, I jumped on it.

I arrived around noon, and there were a dozen or so people seated outside at an open-air bar. I went inside, and there were another dozen people seated in booths, and one seated at the indoor bar. There was just one person there to service everyone, so I correctly anticipated that service might be an issue.

I ordered a beer and asked for a menu. I was handed a single, glossy piece of paper that had been folded in thirds - it was torn and stained. Their mussels appetizer ($10) is offered with four options: red or white, mild or hot. I ordered white and mild. The server brought a basket with three small rolls that had been buried in butter and garlic - and they were genuinely stale, so the butter was necessary to try and soften them for consumption without injury. After a reasonable wait, the mussels were delivered - a large bowl, containing several dozen shellfish and a moderate amount of broth. The actual mussels were consistently very, very small - about the size of a pistachio nut out of its shell. Their flavor was very good, and their texture was not tough, so I am at a loss as to why they were so tiny. The broth had excellent flavor, and the rock-hard rolls were sufficient to absorb enough of the juice to be soft enough to swallow.

Next, I ordered a small New York pizza with pepperoni. Although all of the inside booths were now empty, and I hadn't seen any food being delivered to those seated outside (there was an unobstructed view through a filthy, sliding glass door), there was what I would judge as an unnecessarily long wait before it was delivered. The flavor was excellent, with the excessive amount of oil that I associate with this style of pie. Also, there were no "burn" marks on the bottom of the crust, another characteristic that I associate with the NY style - perhaps the result of cooking in an over that was not as hot as it should or could have been. The cooking temperature could also explain both the less than perfect flavor and the longer wait.

Considering the diminutive size of the mollusks, the single server, and all of the other issues, they only deserve an average rating. If they were to offer another Groupon, I might return, but not at their regular menu prices.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Paul E
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Very good. Red wine excellent.”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Went through Cape Coral looking for Tommy Tomatoes to be replaced by Carmine on Del Prados.

Excellent veal and the wife had chicken. Would recommend this eatery food good and prices competitive.

A must!!

• Visited October 2013
Elizabeth, New Jersey
“Good Service”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We went on Friday evening and we eat calamari and pizza it was excellent the waiter very attentive
on Saturday we were back.

• Visited September 2013
“They could improve on service”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

My family and I attended this restaurant on a Sunday evening after a friend recommended it to us. We also purchased a groupon too. When we arrived there was no member of staff at the front desk to greet or seat us. No one asked us if we needed help so I had to approach a waiter and asked if we had to seat ourselves. He explained he didn't know where the member of staff had gone and told us to seat ourselves (he was busy with a table at the time to be fair). Our waiter was really friendly but we did need to ask for a high hair before he dissapeared with our drink order. I did hear the female waitress explain the soup of the day and recommendations to her table which we didn't get but to be honest we are not that fussy about things like that it was just an observation. We were waiting a while before our appetizers arrived so the waiter kindly brought us some garlic knots, a lovely gesture. Shortly after our appetizers arrived which we enjoyed. About 2 minutes into tucking into our appetizers one of our pizzas arrived followed by the other. The waiter looked confused and apologised they had arrived so soon but didn't offer to take them away and keep them warm. My husband said its fine not wanting any fuss. Usually I might of said a few things but it was a Sunday evening and with our toddler in tow we didn't have the energy. We were never offered another drink either I had to ask the member of staff cleaning the tables for another drink. Don't get me wrong the two staff we spoke to were lovely but on a Sunday evening when the restaurant wasn't busy I would expect more attention to detail for things to run more smoothly. I would go back again as I enjoyed their food and it wasn't a negative experience just lacked a little customer service.

• Visited September 2013