“A bit of Germany in Cape Coral” 4 of 5 bubbles

Duke of Germany
Ranked #96 of 417 Restaurants in Cape Coral
Cuisines: German, European
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Family owned and operated. Susen (owner and chef) has been indulging her guest since 25 years. Since march 2010 we serve German dishes in Cape Coral.
LONG ISLAND, NY
“A bit of Germany in Cape Coral”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

The Schnitzel was delicious, light and prepared just right. Wish I had time to return for the porkhock. I didn't give it five stars because the family servers were really not interested in the customers, other than serving the food.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Maybe the real chef's day off? Wish it had been the servers too...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I considered for a few days on return from our vacation in Cape Coral as to what to write about this place. Whether I was being rash on how poor I found this restaurant, and the attitude of the server. I tried to get it out of my system by getting up to date with reviews of a couple of other restaurants in the area which I really liked but it still came back to being totally disappointed with this place.
I've never given one star before, I tend to discount those reviews as I suspect on occasion someone has an axe to grind, or maybe it's the competition writing them!
Then there was the high rating for this place which after our experience left me questioning how?
Maybe it was because it was just after 6pm on a Tuesday night (early Oct) and we were the only ones in (about four tables seated not long after we entered) But let me continue
The only member of staff initially was a youngish blonde lad, seemingly helpful we ordered beers while we read the menu. He recommended the Grillhax, and I thought why not?
Bread was served up and we ordered ghoulash soup, and a potato soup for starters, then grillhax for me and the black forest chicken for my wife.
The soup was served up fairly quickly. I assume it was simmering in a pot in the kitchen, well maybe mine was, as my wifes potato soup couldn't even be described as 'tepid'. In fact it was so cold she asked "I didn't misread the menu and this is a soup served cold?" I tasted it as well. 'Cold' It was also notable both dishes were cold and not pre warmed. The server took it away and I guess blasted in in a microwave for a minute before returning. My ghoulash soup was OK, nothing special.
Sometimes these things happen, it's not the end of the world, we finished the soup, although both were as said, nothing special.
And here's where it got worse. Our mains/ or entrees arrived in reasonable time. Again I noted the plates were cold, but my grillhax (pork hock) was piping hot. However my wifes black forest chicken was lukewarm at best. With both dishes we had ordered mashed potato. Each plate had three 'ice cream scoop' portions 'school dinner style'. Neither side could even be described as warm and actually it tasted very bland. I'd decided I wasn't even going to eat it even if hot. Alerting the server he seemed rather put out at being told the mash and chicken were cold. He disappeared with my wifes plate after I told him I wasn't bothered about my potato ( I didn't want it cold or hot)
On his return he then started to question why mine could be hot and not my wifes? "It's from the same gas! I don't understand how the gas can heat up one dinner and not the other!" He sarcastically announced completely missing the point that I didn't want my potatoes heating up as I didn't like them!
So there you have it. Both my wifes appetiser and main were cold, and some of mine. Throw in a bit of sarcasm for pointing this out and you arrive at one star.
I have my suspicion that a minimal staff were working. In the end we saw our server and another older man who also served after keep appearing from the kitchen. I suspect that the food was in big batches in the kitchen and due to it being quiet, or us early, that food hadn't been heated thoroughly.
If that's not the case and the claim each meal is freshly cooked is made then it's worse as they cooked and then left to chill my wifes meal and served it up on cold crockery in a quiet period
If the bland food had been hot maybe I could have said this place was average, but with the sarcasm? No that gets you my first and only so far, one star. Perhaps it's hard to listen to a adverse comment after relying on the laurels of high tripadvisor reviews.
We visit Cape Coral regularly, as do friends. We won't be back anytime soon, especially with Ford's just a few minutes away.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank charlysez
Cape Coral, Florida, United States
“Authentic cuisine at reasonable prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My husband and I have travelled throughout both Germany and Austria and honestly the meal we had this evening was Just as good as being there! The schnitzel was lightly breaded and tender while the Thuringia bratwurst was just as tasty as could be.

Hot potato salad was just that: hot, and was counterbalanced by a nicely tart sauer kraut.

And, oh,the apple strudel was to DIE for: light and airy pastry, and deliciously flavored. We have been to one other local restaurant but honestly their strudel was just AWFUL in comparison to Chef Susen's...

We WILL return and will bring our friends....

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
St.Albans UK
“Fantastic German food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

My wife, three teenage kids and I visited recently and found the food and the service first class. Five empty plates is always a good sign!!! Clean and tidy restaurant, reminded me of an Austrian Gasthaus. Prices reasonable. We will return.

• Visited August 2013
Cape Coral, Florida, United States
“Outstanding Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I tried this restaurant for dinner, for the first time last evening. It is very close to our home. We read the other reviews, which are ALL positive, so we had to try it for ourselves. We were not disappointed! The food was absolutely outstanding, as if we were sitting in someone's home, eating a home-cooked German dinner. We were warmly greeted by one of the family members, a plate of FRESH BAKED sourdough dough bread pieces was brought to our table along with our beverages. After one taste of the bread, I knew dinner was going to be great. The weiner schnitzel was tender and superbly seasoned/ cooked. The potato pancakes were only second to my own homemade ones, and the spaetzle was delicious, as was the mushroom gravy and brown gravies we had accompany it. Then the icing on the cake was their homemade apple strudel for dessert. It was served hot on a plate with vanilla ice cream and powdered sugar. It's delicious taste and texture were outstanding. I can't ever remember having such a delicious apple strudel in my life. I have to say that our dinner there was one of the best meals I have ever had at a restaurant, ever. Absolutely nothing to complain about. I cannot wait to go back and try some other menu items. I also picked up a carry-out menu in the event I want to order ahead for a dinner to take home. Great great great!! The chef, Susen, really knows how to cook German food. I can't say enough good comments. Just GO THERE for dinner. YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!!!

• Visited September 2013