“Good Italian Food”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We have passed by this place and finally decided to try it. Our waiter made us feel right at home, suggested items to us and was very prompt in his service. Our food was very good and the portions were generous. I would definitely recommend this place.

1  Thank wandererDe
There are newer reviews for Wine and Roses

Reviewed April 24, 2012

We have been dining here at least once a month since they opened, and have enjoyed every evening. The staff is friendly and helpful, the food is consistently good, very large portions and an extensive wine selection. Have found favourites on the menu we can't seem to break away from to order anything else;the Grouper Oscar or Livorese for me and the Veal Marsala for my husband. Penne Pasta with Garlic /Olive oil. Our friends have tried other dishes and we have never had a complaint at the table. They are very supportive of other local community groups, a great Cape Coral neigbour. A great little gem ,please remember to support them in the summer when all the snowbirds fly home.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

This spot is only a few years old, but it has managed to withstand the test of time on the eastern segment of Cape Coral Parkway, a notoriously tough strip to weather as a restaurant, that's a measure of success in itself.

We dined there right after they opened a couple of years back and were not impressed enough to revisit. But in the last two months, we have returned three times. A down town road block and detour basically made this place the most logical option on a return visit a while back when we intended to go elsewhere, or we probably would have never returned.

The interior is not fancy, but comfortable, and replete with plenty of booths along the wall, a layout we prefer at a place of this kind of genre with its generic atmosphere. You will find them to be very busy if you go there in prime time on a Friday or Saturday night as we usually do, they seem to have a very dedicated and loyal crowd. Parking is tough in the front along the Parkway and you may have to take a side street to access the rear if you go when they’re busy.

Service is not a strong point at this house, it’s hit and miss. It’s one of the few places I've seen servers squabble in front of patrons, even if they tried to appear somewhat private about it. That can be entertaining I guess, if that's your form of preferred entertainment while dining.

While proffering itself as an Italian cuisine kind of place, the items on the menu are also hit and miss with regard to conformity to style.

For instance, one of my perennial favorite Italian dishes is Veal Francese. Their version is way off the map for that usually simple and straight forward recipe. The first time I ordered it I didn’t care for it at all, but accepted it anyway. It was full of cream, lacked proper lemon nuances, and I would never have guessed what it was supposed to be. The second time we returned, I told our server how I thought the cook should alter the dish to make it in a more traditional style, and to my liking. The adjustment didn’t seem to come through back in the kitchen and it was still delivered very much off the mark. Think I’ll wise up and just pass on that particular entree on our repeat visits.

We had pizza once during one of our three recent visits. Pretty good job on that, but not what I would call ‘brake dance spin on the floor’ kind of stuff. I’ll call it 7 out of 10.

Okay, so why do we keep going back when we get bored with our other usual spots??

For these three reasons…

1) They have an appetizer on the menu that I could easily eat three times a week, the ‘Italian straws’. Not straws actually, they’re planks, but they are awesome. I’ve never seen this item offered elsewhere. They are very lightly dusted eggplant planks that are served in a paper lined metal cone sever with marinara and ranch sauces on the the side. It’s a very generous portion and it’s always fresh out the fryer.Melts in your mouth, for real. My wife and I often order two of these very reasonably priced apps, even though they are far from small portions. This is killer, and it’s its inexpensive..

2) Another non-entrée item they offer is the ‘Roasted Pepper Bisque.’ I could
set up an IV drip on this proprietary creation and die happy. It is easily one of the best soups or bisques of ANY kind I’ve ever tasted. I have tried numerous times to duplicate it at home and have ruined many roasted red pepper trays in the process. My hope is that I can meet Jeff (the owner-chef who never comes out) just one time and get him giddy on my good rare wine just one time to spill his guts on that recipe.

3) They are extremely generous with their corkage policy. I have a Vinotheque cellar at home so I like to bring my own rare gems, and they have yet to ever charge me when I bring in a bottle of my own choosing. Because they are good to us in this regard, we always also order a few of their special martini selections. Their martinis are top quality and they have an imaginative selection for which they have won local awards. I rate their bar service in the top 20 percentile, even though they are a relatively small house.

I realize I didn’t speak much to the entrees, except the one I don’t think they construct properly. Memory serves that that the food is mostly quite good in that department

Yes, the service can be spotty, simply due to the wide human variances this house seems to be willing to tolerate in that department, but if you ask for Chris or Brian, you’ll be just fine with that.

Reviewed March 17, 2012

Good value and generous portions. The wait staff is very friendly and great service overall.

Reviewed February 29, 2012

Quaint very authentic Italian. They have a great selection of Martini's food is excellent! The seafood chowder is the best I've ever had. Recommend reservations - restaurant is somewhat small. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Bill55055