“underwhelmed”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Last night two of us dined at Bonefish when we found the Shrimp Shack had closed. The best part of the meal was the special white cosmo drink that was served perfectly chilled with 3 frozen cranberries floating in it. Delicious. We then ordered a special appetizer which was a crab, scallop and shrimp dip in a creamy cheese sauce served with pita chips. It arrived piping hot and looked delicious. Too bad it didn't taste that way. The dip reeked of fake crab meat which was strong and smelly. The pita chips were from a bag. Would not recommend this dish. Then we both ordered the steak and lobster for $17, my sister upgraded her sirloin to Filet for $6 and I should have done likewise. My sirloin was ordered medium rare. It came to the table terribly overcooked on one side and uncooked on the opposite side. The one side was evenly charred black, there weren't any grill marks on the second side and no pink or juice whatsoever in the meat. It was a brick. I complained as soon as it was delivered and cut into the meat proving that it was over cooked. The server didn't offer to return it until I asked her to remove it from my plate and my bill. Then she came back with a cold lobster tail and grossly overcooked steak which i promptly cut into bite sized pieces and asked for a doggie bag. My dog ate every bite. I couldn't chew the one bite I attempted. My sister's filet was cooked perfectly, was tender and seasoned perfectly. The lobster would have been delicious if served warm but after waiting for the second steak it was tasteless. My sister ordered creme' brulle for dessert and requested the fruit and whipped cream served on the side. It arrived with both on the dessert. She scraped it aside and it didn't lessen the taste. The portion was large, more than enough for two. The bill for 2 was $74with one cocktail, and the only thing pleasing was the drink, filet and dessert. I won't hurry back and I am rather easy to please.

There are newer reviews for Bonefish Grill

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I ate seafood in this place last Tuesday and a few hours later i was sick,,Projectal vomiting and dhiaharea ...5 days later i am just starting to feel better.. I had to cancel a trip i planned and would never eat there ever again

Reviewed November 21, 2013

The place was packed when we got there but we sill got our reserver table just 10 min late. We were celebrating both our birthdays so we did go way overboard, We started with two martini's 1 order of Calamari and an order of Bang Bang shrimp. The Bang shrimp were the best. The calimari was good but not the best. The lady had lobster and filet special and I had Mahi mahi thermidor which were excellent and cooked excackly how they were ordered. The lady had a glass of an excellent red and I had a very good chardonay. No dessert too full. The bill came to $97 including tax. The server Eric was excellent and inspite of busier then ever he also had a table of 10 attended to our needs nicely. After being in the restaurant business you recognize quality food. Quality all the way here.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We eat here regularly and I have to say that I've never had a bad meal. The servers are always friendly, though they do get overwhelmed at times. The food is always good and they are attentive that everything is prepared to your liking and will fix it if it's not. The last time we went was as a large party, 9 of us with 5 kids. Thank goodness for happy hour and 1/2 price wine!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

How many stars is value worth? Should you take off one, two or three for very poor value? I would rate this restaurant five stars without a problem if the value was there; instead, it gets three.

My wife and tried Bonefish Grill this week because she had a $10 coupon for two entrees. We knew from their website that their prices were high; considerably higher than Red Lobster, but we had been told by friends and coworkers the food was excellent. They were right.

We dined around 8PM so we were seated immediately. The atmosphere of the restaurant threw me a little since it appears to be nothing more than a giant room - the kind of dining one would find in a buffet or cafeteria with rows of tables next to each other.

The service was very good. Our server was quite professional, well versed on her menu and quite attentive.

We ordered virtually the same thing. I wanted the shrimp and scallop dinner for $17, but was surprised to find this did not include salad, only the veggie of the day and your choice of one side, such as broccoli or garlic mashed potatoes. No baked potatoes were offered. My wife ordered the same thing but asked for all shrimp, since she does not care for scallops. We both ordered side salads for an additional $2.90, so to compare with restaurants that include salads with the meals such as Red Lobster, these meals were costing us $20 each. As long as they tasted good and were filling, I wasn't going to have a problem.

But when the entrees were delivered, we both were quite taken aback by the presentation of approximately four ounces of seafood on each plate. I received four scallops and five medium sized shrimp, while my wife fared even worse by getting only eight shrimp. The taste of the food was outstanding; absolutely no complaints about the grilled flavor. But we left hungry.

If I'm going to spend $50+ with tip on a dinner, I expect to not only enjoy the taste, but also have my hunger satiated. This will not happen at Bonefish Grill. Their food is excellent, but most people are looking for more than four ounces of entree. If their prices reflected their portion size, it wouldn't have been so bad, but when you pay $20 for a meal and salad, you expect more than what they present.

This experience reminded me of dining at McCormick and Schmick in Las Vegas. Same result but worse value. $54 for two meals that consisted of three ounces of shrimp in a fancy presentation.

Bottom line: food tastes great, but don't go hungry.