“Gourmet Chinese food in an elegant setting”

Chen's China Bistro
Ranked #95 of 427 Restaurants in Cape Coral
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Chen's China Bistro serves New York Style Chinese food. Our restaurant is the perfect place for a romantic dinner, celebrating a birthday with a loved one, or a fun night out with friends. Also we have beer and wine, bubble tea available
Cape Coral, Florida
“Gourmet Chinese food in an elegant setting”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Hubby and I like to go to Chen's for special occasions and when we're celebrating something. The restaurant is beautifully decorated (you get cloth napkins!). Some dishes are in the price range comparable to Carrabbas, but you can eat very well spending $9-$12 for dinner (not counting drinks or appetizers of course). Hubby likes the Pineapple Chicken and also the back menu with combinations that are very affordable. For less than the price of a dinner at the other buffet places (e.g., Asia Buffet), you can get a great meal.

My favorite is the Mu Shu Pork. It is a dish of stir fried char siu pork and vegetables (cabbage, onion, etc.). It comes with rice, marvelous oyster sauce and "pancakes" so you can make a mu shu burrito. There's so much food I only eat half, so I get two meals for the price of one!

The free appetizer is fried won ton strips and a sweet sauce. I was unfamiliar with this because you don't get any free appetizer in Hawaii or on the west coast, but my New Jersey friend said he's eaten this at Chinese restaurants, so it is apparently an east coast thing. Anyway, it's good. Not enough to fill you up but just enough to whet your appetite.

Chen's is kind of like a well-kept secret. It gets crowded during snowbird season, but in the off season, it's not that busy. Put it this way, it's not as busy as it should be! They have a promotion where they give you a card that gets stamped. Each card needs 10 stamps, and when it's all stamped, you get one free meal. You spend $10 per stamp, so it's not hard to fill up a card. I'm not sure if they still have the promotion going or not, but even if they aren't, this is a great place to eat gourmet Chinese food.

A minor downside--sometimes I've felt a little warm in that restaurant (even when I'm wearing shorts). Maybe it's because--living in Florida where homes are made with fans in every room--they don't have ceiling fans.

Another minor downside is that every time I go there, they ask if I'm Chinese because it appears the entire staff is from China and I guess they would like to speak their native language with guests. I feel bad telling them I'm not, but I really prefer anonymity to personal questions when I'm in a restaurant.

Writing this review is making me hungry for Chinese food! :)

• Visited May 2013

Cape Coral, Florida
“Great Chinese food”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We always get friendly service. The portions are big and the food is delicious. The staff is very friendly and aim to please.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank joycea21075
Cape Coral, FL
“Surprisingly good Chinese in Florida!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We went there with a group to celebrate a birthday, and there were only a handful of diners at the other tables. That being said, we were treated like royalty by the staff, and served some delicious dishes -- none of which were over-salted, as Chinese is prone to be. We all shared a couple of the appetizer platters, which had some teriyaki beef that was seasoned in a way that was different -- in a good way -- from any others I've had. There was more chicken in my lo mien than there were lo mien noodles! All in all, a great experience. And... when we finally brought out the cake, the remaining staff at the restaurant joined us in the celebration, playing Chinese Happy Birthday videos on their large-screen TV above the bar, which only serves beer and wine -- and non-alcoholic Polynesian drinks. Well done. We will be back.

Visited February 2013
Cape Coral, Florida, United States
“Local CANTONESE!”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My husband and I discovered a local Chinese restaurant, that actually serves Cantonese Style-just like up north! It was a Christmas Eve choice, and an excellent one at that! We were shocked when we were served Cantonese style Chinese food. Anyone who lives in this area of Florida knows that Cantonese style Chinese food is no where to be found. We were delighted when we discovered that they actually serve it the way we LOVE it-Cantonese Style. Even though they were extremely busy, we were served hot, fresh food. I would recommend it to anyone. We can't wait to go back and try more entrees!!!

• Visited December 2012
CAPE CORAL
“Even a bad night wouldn't explain this.”
Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Having over four decades of enjoying New York City style Chinese cuisine, I felt I was probably a good judge of this particular Chinese restaurant. First off, the place and the service were fine. So were the noodles homemade mustard and duck sauce for the most part. That's when the word "fine" ended abruptly.
My wife and I ordered a combination dinner ribs fried rice eggroll and wonton soup. Now for the breakdown:
The broth for the wonton soup was very good albeit a bit chickens, but the meat that was stuffed inside the wontons was tasteless and bordering on suspicious for being fresh. Scary right there!.
The ribs were not completely cooked which is a dangerous proposition in itself. It also tasted as if the ribs were prepared by somebody who would be doing this at home; not real Asian chef's who should know how to make ribs taste fairly good. And off-putting taste for sure The eggrolls smelled good and were crispy on the outside albeit less than an inch in diameter, but whatever was in the inside was off-taste, off-color and slimy; not palatable whatsoever.
The pork fried rice again look good, but it lacked any flavor. It had a little piece of egg in it but there were no peas no little pieces of carrots perhaps certainly no chunks of tasty pork in there and it was very dry. Very boring, lack of flavor, and very not worth even a dollar.
In closing, the absolutely best thing in this meal was the fresh mustard that they provided to dip your noodles. It was fine. :-)

2 Thank LeelooiEkbatDeSebat