“Average for lunch”

Ranked #93 of 427 Restaurants in Cape Coral
Tampa, Florida
“Average for lunch”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Bakery is worth it but the sandwiches and service were mediocre at best. If you're starving for a place to eat and want home made Cuban, try it. But, there are a lot of other Cuban restaurants with more atmosphere and friendly employees than this one.

Visited July 2013

Cape Coral, Florida
“Breakfast”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went with several friends for breakfast a few times, and found the food to be cheap, fast & very good.

Visited June 2013
Willemstad, Curacao
“What a way to start the day”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent three nights I in a hotel in Cape Coral. Complimentary breakfast and all. A friend of ours told us to go for breakfast at El Mambo. So we skipped hotel breakfast and went to this Cuban restaurant. what a great breakfast for so little money. And the staff is helpful and very kind too!

Visited July 2013
Cape Coral, Florida
“sandwiches were great; dinner entrees so-so”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have to say, to my surprise, the cheap food (average sandwich was $5) were great, as opposed to the entrees. I ordered the steak entree it was terrible, my fellow companions ordered entrees the fried pork chunks, which was terrible and fried beef strips which was WAY over seasoned. But, two of them ordered steak and egg sandwiches. The cuban bread was awesome and the sandwich overall FOR THE PRICE was really surprisenly a good value!

I would stick with the sandwiches. Never had the breakfast, so no commentary there.....

• Visited May 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Amazing Cuban food in a hidden gem”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I like walking into an ethnic restaurant and being the only person speaking English.

(To a point... I speak some Spanish, but if I go to an Ethiopian restaurant, the menu has to be in English.)

So I took it to be a good sign that when I walked in, the waitress was having a loud and boisterous conversation with one of the other diners, in Spanish. I was right.

This was a really terrific menu. There are a lot of Cuban restaurants in Florida but too many of them only sell the obvious dishes, the Cuban sandwiches and ropa vieja, but not a lot of places that make Cuban diner food. I had the chicken milanesa, a dish that somehow made its way into Cuban food even though it's really a Viennese dish by way of Argentina and Brazil. It was delicious: swiss cheese, tomato sauce and ham melted on top of a breaded, fried chicken cutlet. I also tried some of the Cuban sandwich, which was quite tasty, if predictable.

Their plantains were also fantastic, and the red beans are amazing.

Best of all, the meal cost practically nothing and came with the authenticity of being in a hidden little corner of downtown Cape Coral with a Spanish-speaking wait staff.

Visited May 2013