“Good Pre-cruise Stay”

Radisson Resort at the Port
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Cape Canaveral
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We recently stayed at the Radisson Resort at the Port the night before our cruise. The lobby of the resort was very nicely appointed but the room not so much. The walls of the room were very pink and I felt a bit tacky but again we were only there one night so it didn't really make a difference to us. The bed was a sleep number bed and either we didn't know how to control it properly or it was just uncomfortable. The bathroom was small and there was only a shower which leaked significantly onto the floor - we had to put several towels in front of the shower and they got squishy wet. Check-in is at 3 PM but we arrived at 2 PM and had no problem checking into our room. The pool area seems to be very nice but we did not use the pool. The fitness center had only a few pieces of cardio equipment but that was adequate for me. I would stay here again if I am in the need of a pre-cruise hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,984)

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Arrived at property and stayed for two evenings after a cruise, nice and close to port, transportation to port is given but returning is very confused, busy and very difficult. Taking a cab is $15 but a lot less stressful. The property is very old but they appear to really try to keep it up, the rooms are clean, 32" flat screen, silly number beds, fridge and microwave. Alright place to stay in, if paying around $80. My reservations where screwed up by central reservations, so hotel charged me $149 for first night, definitely way over priced, went back to $79 for next evening. Was overlooking pool sort of and wifi was great. Overall it is a good property for around $85 per night, not anymore. Also pool cold and hot tub warm.

Room Tip: Would definitely get a poolside room, very big old style hotel so some rooms are a good hike to pool...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Found the staff to be amazingly attentive, friendly, and responsive to anything we needed. They always addressed us by name in the restaurant, bar and lobby. Would stay here again anytime. Beautiful pool. Sleep number beds great.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 8, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Radisson the night before our cruise. I'm usually really good for picking hotels and resorts but boy...I REALLY didn't get this one right. Our room looked NOTHING like the pictures that are posted on the web site...when we walked in, the smell was what shocked me first. THEN the cheesy "tropical Miami Beach" theme-back from the 1970's or '80's was worse. My sister and I just looked at each other. We were so tired after driving all day, that we decided to endure it. But let me tell you...the room smelled like I don't know what, there was dirt behind the beds from months of not being cleaned, the air conditioning vent had caked on dirt all over it, the television was old...it was just a terrible experience. I should have known from the beginning when it took us a half hour to park our car!! The only good thing I can say is that it took us 5 minutes to get to our cruise terminal and that was because we drove our own car there. Hopefully, anyone reading this and already has a reservation, you'll get a "renovated" room!

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Hartsgrove
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Radisson Resort at the Port, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

We are extremely unhappy to hear of the challenges that you experienced while visiting our hotel. It is our goal that each guest leaves satisfied with their stay. Please know that your comments have been heard. We hope that the next time that time you are in our area, you will return to see that we have been able to make changes to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We are Club Carlson members and have stayed at this facility several times before taking a cruise out of Port Canaveral. They have cruise parking and free shuttles to and from the Port. The last time (and I do mean the last time) we stayed at this Radisson was February 9, 2013. I had read some negative reviews before but couldn't figure out how they could have had such an experience when we always had wonderful experiences. Now I know. It's as if there are two Radissons on this property. We finally got to see the "other" one. We arrived early (2pm) and was told our room was not yet ready, so we just took a ride over to Rusty's to get a late lunch and watch the cruise ships leave. We then returned and were given our key cards, a drink coupon and free breakfast voucher. We had always stayed near the pool, but this time we were directed to another section on the other side of the hotel overlooking a badmitton court. No elevator near our room so we hoisted our bags up the stairs, noticing the peeling paint and filth all the way. Three housekeeping carts and as many ladies still in the outside walkway - one of them advised us that our room was on the other side. Oops. So back around this section we went, through a dank narrow walkway. Found the room - again everything on the outside resembled a 2 star motel. My husband is looking at me because I actually spent more on this room than we ever paid at this facility before. Open the door and walk in and the smell enveloped us. What was it? After a minute or two my husband said it smelled like a mens locker room with dirty jockstraps laying around - that was very accurate, not that I've been in many locker rooms, but I did raise a boy. Haven't they heard of Febreeze? It was also damp smelling and the carpet even seemed damp in places. Plus the room itself just looked old and tacky. It needed a makeover in the worst way. I called the front desk to request a transfer but they had no availability - there were over 350 group members staying there (out of 700) that were going on the same ship as us in the morning. So my husband started up the fan on the climate control unit and that seemed to help with the smell (or maybe we got desensitized after a while??). Knowing all the nearby hotels would be full the night before 3 ships leave, we figured we could put up with it for one night. I woke up the next morning and had a few bites near my ankle that itched. I paniced thinking of bedbugs but pulling back everything could not see a sign of them. My husband went to shave and said there were bugs all over the sink edge - teensy, tiny ones. I still don't know for sure what they were but they were very tiny and resembled fleas, but they didn't jump like fleas. I asume this is what was responsible for the bites I had gotten. At this point we just decided to get showered and out of there ASAP, never to return. I decided to make a cup of coffee on the little machine in the room since we both agreed we would not be fighting the crowds at the buffet breakfast even though it was "free". I picked up the cup, took a sip and then noticed several of our buggy friends floating on the top. That was it for me. I threw on my clothes, dried my hair, skipped makeup and told my husband I'd meet him out front of the hotel after he parked the car in the cruise parking lot. We could wait on the Port shuttle there. I have never been so disappointed in a hotel. I am especially disappointed because I paid more for this room package this time than I have ever paid in the past. The shuttle was not even a bright point in this stay as they were totally unprepared for the extra 300 people with the group that had special shuttle arrangements. Their shutlles were blocking the shuttles for us regular cruisers and people with kids were yelling and the group people were dragging their luggage over people's toes - it was a mess of grand proportions. My husband and I ended up taking a taxi with another couple to the Port to start our cruise. Catching the shuttle on the return was a breeze, however.

In closing, I would be very cautious if you are considering reserving a pre-cruise room at this Radisson. I know I will no longer stay there - there are plenty of 2-3 star hotels in the area that charge 2-3 star prices. The Radisson is charging a 4 star rate for a 2 star room. The amenities are nice, but it's the room you end up sleeping in and that is definitely lacking at this facility.

Room Tip: Ask for a recently renovated room and bring a bottle of Febreze just in case
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NCGenie
Joe_Panackia_GM, General Manager at Radisson Resort at the Port, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a response regarding your recent stay. We are truly sorry for the problem you encountered with the odor and ants in the room. We are always proactive about addressing these issues and we take our guests' comments very seriously. We are currently in the midst of a renovation of our standard rooms and we have just completed our 2nd to last building. We'd love for you to return and see all the changes that we are making to both our service and our product. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly and ask for a member of the management team. We'd love to hear directly from you.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson at the port on Feb 20, 2013 before our cruise. We were there the whole day and had a great time. The pool area was very nice, rooms were spacious and clean, the staff was very polite and professional. The hotel was close to the beach and right down the road from Ron Jon's store which we drove to. The hotel was also close to Budget car rental where we got our car. We also stayed here on our way back on the 24th and everything was great again. We were put on a list for early check in an were called for our room about 1 pm which was fantastic. The front desk even recommended a place to go eat over by the port called Grills. (Excellent fish tacos) so that we could watch the cruise ships take off. We would highly recommend this place to stay to anyone taking a cruise out of the port here. The pool, hot tub, waterfall, and everthing close by. It looks just like the photos.............Excellent....

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 404 the first night and 413 the second night......Right by the door, close to par...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NDNL8KEOHIO
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at Radisson Resort at the Port before our Disney Cruise. Everyone was warm and welcoming. Room was spacious and clean. Pool was warm and music by the pool was excellent. Great family atmosphere. The restaurant on the premises was great. We cant wait to visit again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Holiday Inn Express Cocoa Beach
#10 of 31 in Cocoa Beach
2 mi away
La Quinta Inn & Suites Cocoa Beach Oceanfront

Been to Radisson Resort at the Port? Share your experiences!