“Overall a great experience”

Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Cape Canaveral
A TripAdvisor Member
“Overall a great experience”
Reviewed April 22, 2006

After reading all the previous reviews, I was only concerned if an issue was brought up more than 2 or 3 times. Too many people complain about small problems, some which are out of the resorts control (like the temp of the ocean).
My family (husband and two teenage boys) just spent a completely enjoyable week at the resort. The condo was spacious with a beautiful view (we had an oceanfront 2 bdrm). Everything we could possibly need for the week (other than food) was provided. Anyone who has stayed in a rental condo knows that you must provide your own food and supplies. Ron Jon's gives you just enough supplies to get you started.
The pool was large enough to handle the Easter Break crowd and the beach was clean and flat (great walking beach). The shuttle runs regularly (it is only .2 mile to the pool from the beach bldg.) and they will stop and pick you up along the way if you decide to start walking. We preferred the beach bldg. as it was out of the busy hustle bustle of the pool bldg. If you like being in the center of the action or have small children who want to spend all their time at the pool, stay at the pool bldg.
We were asked only once at check in if we would like to sit w/a representative from the resort regarding info on becoming an owner. We declined at that time, but did end up requesting the info later in the week, we were that impressed. It is kind of strange seeing all the tours coming & going throught the day (groups from 2 - 10) but you get used to it after a day or two.
My only cons: No internet connection in the condo (wireless or otherwise).
Service at the poolside bar/grill was very slow.
Pool towels should be available and returned at the pool.

I found the staff to be very accomodating (there will always be one or two staff who shouldn't be working in the hospitality industry) and the resort as a whole to be everything we had hoped. Not enough time to do everything we wanted to do.

• Stayed April 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Reviewed April 2, 2006

I stayed this past weekend at the Resort. I was promised a room with 2 bedrooms and instead got an effficiency room. I dealt with that. I found that some of the staff were very rude and offensive while others were extrememly nice.
We ate at the restaurant and the food was good but the service was very poor. Not very organized at all.
They need a coffee shop on site as two times I went to get coffee in the morning and they were out. The revenue from a well run coffee shop would be phenomenal. They did have a coffee pot in the room but the store had no coffeee to sell.
My Granddaughter had a good time because it is geared for children and the pool area is great.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed March 28, 2006

Had a great time at this resort. The pool area was wonderful. Lots of other things to do to keep a family busy and having fun. They had tennis, mini golf, movies, game room, and that is just a short list. Also went to the Safari Todd show and that was great. The beach was very nice, clean but cold.
Didn't stop my two teen boys from enjoying the ocean, they went in and were jumping waves for a couple of hours. They also have a shuttle between the main hotel and the beach area, very easy to use. I really only have two major problems with this resort. Number one with me was the beds. Very, very hard and uncomfortable!! They really need to change them out. Also the sofa bed was unsleepable for my teens. Had to take the mattress out on the floor to sleep on. Other problem was wireless internet was only in lobby, would be nice in your own suite.

8 Thank Alaskamom51
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 24, 2006

Let me start by stating that my husband and I have spoiled many a vacation for ourselves due to having overly high expectations. We attempted to keep our expectations low for this trip as we had read some mixed reviews and it was our first hotel stay with both kids, of course we still had high hopes. That said, we really had a wonderful trip thanks to the Club Caribe facility and staff.

Reservations & villa details:

We booked our two bedroom villa by calling the resort directly for a week's stay. We got a discount (unasked for) by staying a whole week. The rate ($150 a night) was off-season (we went early March), but was cheaper than what I found looking on ebay and places like orbitz. I thought the rate was pretty reasonable compared to the weekly price that ordinary condos at the beach we were looking at. We left the day that the rates went up though and the rate skyrocketed to $350 a night - yikes! This is a timeshare facility, but we declined the tour and were not asked about it again.

We stayed in the main poolside building on the North side which is facing the channel where the cruise ships came in. We had a 5th floor unit so had a great view of the ships which was neat. The downside of that direction was that there was a parking lot but also the entrance to a public beach which caused some traffic noise, mostly on the weekend. I think there are up aned downsides to each of the directions (there are three as it is a U shaped building) - The opposite side from ours facing South looks at other condos and a quiet street which I would not have chosen even if it was quieter than our side because we would have missed out on the ships. If we go again, I would choose the pool view - 5th floor, as from the balcony, you could see the ships (albeit not as close as from the North side), the pool and also a distant view of the ocean. The downside of the pool view is that you would always have to listen to the music if your balcony door was open - if you like carribean themed music it may not be an issue - also on the 5th floor it wouldn't so loud as the lower floors. We had considered the ocean front building (about 1500 feet away) to have a beach view, but with small kids you will be glad to choose the pool building and save money too - that is where everything is - I know we would not have had as good a time if we had to take the tram back and forth all the time to use all the facilities other than the beach. As it was, we simply took the tram when we wanted to get to the beach which worked very well.

We stayed in a true 2 bedroom villa (not a lockout). You can see the floorplans on the Ron Jon site which was really useful to choose which villa we were interested in. The villa was AWESOME! It must have been around 1100 sq ft and was clean and nicely appointed. I couldn't have asked for a nicer place, truly - it had 2 bathrooms, a washer and dryer and even a very large whirlpool tub in the master bath. The master closet was big enough that we used it as a 3rd "bedroom" for our infant son and his port-a-crib. I even fit a chair in there too for middle of the night nursing! The decor as you will see in the photos had a carribean theme, but I didn't feel it was overdone.

The villa had just about everything we needed - although I read some folks complaining that it didn't have enough of stuff, I felt it was as generous as could be expected. If you rent a beach condo anywhere, you would only have starter supplies and would have to make a grocery store trip. Other than food supplies, there were only a few things we needed more of in an entire week. They were: 1 extra roll of paper towels, shampoo, conditioner, countertop cleaner, dishwasher powder & I will admit to "stealing" one extra bar of soap from the housekeeping cart. We also brought paper plates and plastic bowls and cups which I would recommend to save on running the diswasher. You can pay extra for full housekeeping service, but again, if you rented a condo, you wouldn't have maid service either. They did have a linen exchange where you could swap any of your linens once a day one for one. If you have very young kids, bring a box of outlet covers - there were TONS of outlets and we used almost the whole large box.

Facilities:

If you have kids aged 5-12 this place will be paradise for them. Even with a 3 1/2 year old and an infant we had a terrific time, but I think it would have been even more enjoyable if they were a tad bit older. The pool area was fabulous and the indoor play area was huge and pretty amazing. Kids can play there until age 12. The only time it was overcrowded was on the weekend. We ate at the restaurant only once and it was quite good. They have sandwiches and burgers for $8-10 dollars, but the dinner dishes where pretty pricey. They had crafts and fun things during the day for the kids, a game room, and kids movies running all day. In the morning they have a magician in the lobby who does amazing balloon creations. Coffee is available every morning until 11:00 which I thought was pretty nice. There is also a store right there for anything you might need quickly or that you forgot. The beach was very nice - no it is not the absolutely nicest beach in Florida, but was easily accessible, nice and wide and not very crowded. The water access is shallow and doesn't drop off like some beaches we have been to. It was nice that they had showers and foot sprayers right at the entrance to the boardwalk to the beach too.

Because we had a two bedroom villa, we were allowed 8 people total and were given 8 wristbands (which you need to use the pool only) - we had friends in the area, so they came and used our extra 4 wristbands for the pool one day. If you want to do this, be sure to ask for ALL the wristbands you are eligible for when you check in and get an extra key too as this is needed to get in and out of the pool area. We actually never put the wristbands on the kids because they were not adjustable - my husband and I simply wore two at all times as we each had one child with us. We were never asked for them, but I did hear the staff asking a few guests to show them only on the weekend.

The area around the resort was pretty dumpy - if you are looking for a place with tons of restaurants and shops and stuff in walking distance, this will not be the place for you. We pretty much stayed at the resort with a trip to the nearby Publix in the car and one visit to a lunch restaurant close by, but there was plenty to keep us occupied right at the resort.

Complaints - Very few things to complain about:

Only one big one:

The bed! - the beds were absolutely horrible - just basically a giant foam block - my husband had to put the sofabed mattress (which was not foam) on the floor to sleep every night. By the end of the week I had a terrible backache. If you like soft beds you may not have a problem. Also, I noticed that when we checked out, that they were putting new beds in rooms - I have no idea if they were replacing with better ones, or more of the same. Hopefully the former! You might consider bringing one of those inflatable beds if you have them just in case.

Other minor things:

Movies - It would have been nice if they had had more G rated movies - only 3 the entire week played once each - the rest were PG. Having young kids, it would have been nice to be able to go to a movie in the evening once it was too cold to be in the pool.

Wristbands - again, wasn't a big problem, but they were not at all adjustable and when we tried to put on our daughter, it kept falling off.

Restaurant - I felt that the restaurant was a bit too stuffy, formal and pricey for a family resort - I also wish they had served some type of breakfast (only open for lunch and dinner).

Soap dispensers - The soap dispensers in the public indoor bathrooms were just about impossible to get soap out of - I am a little fanatical about soap and tried long and hard. It grossed me out a bit knowing that most people probably weren't trying that hard and giving up without using soap - especially in the bathrooms inside the playground area

That's it - truly it was an awesome place and we had a terrific week. Even with the minor complaints above, I would certainly go back.

18 Thank Travelbeatswork
Houston
Reviewed March 12, 2006

Just returned from a fantastic stay on March 6-7th, 2006. My girls (age 4 and 7) loved the planned activities; indoor play arena, and onsite Move Theater. And of course the super slides in the main pool and the lazy lagoon. The site is at the end of the street in the cruise line docks/ industrial area, but the resort private access to the beach makes up for it.

Pros
- New resort..appx 1.5 years old.
- Very clean rooms, bright colors, amenities in the kitchen included. Washer/ Dryer/ Refridge!
- Activities are planned for kids throughout the day. A weekly sheet is provided at sign-in.
- A plus of the animal show provided for the kids on Monday.
- Very close drive out to NASA, Cocoa Beach for visiting.

Cons
- Pools were not heated enough ... too cold to swim beyond 5 minutes!
- Hot tubs must be > 12 years and older, thus the pool was too cold and they had to watch the adults in the hot tub.
- Buying drinks at the indoor/ outdoor pool bar can be pricy ($15 for 2 Mai Tai!!). The happy hour specials are very limited.

Summary
My #1 spot to revisit, yet I'll ensure warmer weather to enjoy the pools. You can easily be entertained for a week as my two days were not enough!

• Stayed March 2006
10 Thank TravelTexas1
, Manager of Operations at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2006
We try to keep our pool temperature at 82 degrees, which is the suggested setting for our 175,923 gallon pool. Our rule on not allowing chidren under 12 years of age in the hot tub is primarily driven by safety concerns and the desire of owners. We appreciate you comments and your ranking as a "top spot to revisit".

NYNY
Reviewed February 25, 2006

Had a great time at the resort. The pools are great! I have a 2 year old who spent the day in the baby pool. She had a blast. The food is pretty good but no coffee/breakfast available in the morning STINKS. I had to sneak into the sales office to get a little cup.

Even a coffee cart w/muffins would have worked. I would have happily paid a fortune for a cup at that point.

Yes, there was a full kitchen w/coffee maker in the room but it took me a day to find a 7/11 to buy coffee, sugar, milk, bread etc... The word resort to me indicates full service. This is NOT full service. No coffee/brakfast means not full service to me.

It is a great place just be prepared and go to the grocery store before you come here. You will have fun.

• Stayed February 2006
9 Thank Babymakes3
Reviewed January 30, 2006

We picked this resort to stay at while we were in the area to get married and go on a Disney Cruise. It was all that we expected and more.

The lobby when you walk in is beautiful. You really do feel like you are in paradise. We arrived early and were told that we could use the amenities until our room was ready.

We had lunch at the restaurant - which is fabulous. We had planned to have our wedding reception dinner at another place - but after having lunch there decided to change. The staff was extra curious. The food was delicious. The atmosphere was great. By the time we were done with that, the room was ready.

The room was great. It was much bigger then we expected. We had a two bedroom. We could have easily fit double the people that we had in there. We had two balconies overlooking the pool. It was clean. It was well decorated. The furniture was comfortable. Everything you would need was in the room.

Entertainment was plentiful. I only wish we had more time to enjoy it. The kid's indoor play area, movies, and video game room was great for when it rained outside. When the sun came out - the pool, waterslide, and lazy river were wonderful. The hot tub was wonderful in the evening (or anytime). I loved that even if other people were in the hot tub it was situated that you could still have some privacy. It was all well cleaned and maintained.

There was frequently something going on in the lobby. Our daughter loved the animals there were brought in. The balloon man would show up.

The only complaint I have is how far away you have to go for towel exchanges. Once you figure it out - it's pretty easy. But plan to get lost the first time.

We plan to visit again.

Hampton Inn Cocoa Beach/Cape Canaveral
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach
La Quinta Inn & Suites Cocoa Beach Oceanfront

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort? Share your experiences!