Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Cape Canaveral
“True Family Fun”
Reviewed March 22, 2005

My family just returned from a three night stay at the resort. We were asked to take the timeshare tour but chose not to. My son, age 10 and my daughter, age 6 loved the water park/lazy river area. My wife and I enjoyed this area as well. We also enjoyed and appreciated the free putt-putt golf course and the free movie theater. Although neither were "state of the art", both were well maintained and family friendly.

The only small complaint we had was with the resort's restaurant. Although the food was good (not great), the service was very slow. We assumed, however, that this was the result of having a wedding reception going on at the time we were there. The staff seemed a bit shorthanded.

Overall, I highly recommed this resort for families. A good time will be had by all!

• Stayed March 2005
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Hobart, Indiana
Reviewed March 19, 2005

My husband, 5 year old son, 2 year old son, and myself just returned from a one week stay at the Ron Jon Cape Caribe Resort. I read about the resort alot through Trip Advisor and I wanted share my experience with other Trip Advisor users. We had a GREAT time here. My 5 year old son must have gone down the slide over 100 times ( height requirement 42 inches). The lazy river and huge 4 leaf clover pool are heated. The zero depth pool area for my 2 year old was perfect. They loved the indoor play area. 9 holes of mini-golf, shuffleboard, basketball court, tennis courts, and numerous daily activites are enough to keep kids of all ages entertained. They have a movie theater (which you can take your own popcorn, snacks, etc) We saw the Incredibles (the movies are very current)

There are 2 buildings: main and ocean. Every activity is in the main building. We were in the ocean building with an ocean front room (try to request higher than the 2nd floor if you want the ocean building you DO NOT want to be on the FIRST floor). Since all the activities are in the main building I wanted to be there --- at first! The ocean building is very nice if you are planning to spend alot of time at the beach. We took the chairs from our balcony down there. They do have beach rentals but I am to cheap to spend over $20 for a beach chair!! They have a shuttle that come appox. every 5-10 minutes to take you to and from the main building (it is about a 5 minute walk) The shuttle was running 8am to 8 pm while I was there but they told me as the seasons progress the hours get longer. I really did not mind being in the ocean building. It is the only place where you can see the cruise ships sailing in and out. My kids loved that.

We ate in the restaurant 1 time and the prices were reasonable and the service and food were good.

The Ron Jon Surf Shop sells numerous items at very reasonable prices ( ice cream like the ice cream man sells for a DOLLAR!!!)

We went to Disney for the day. It took 65 minutes to be in Disney's parking lot. The road to take is a toll road. It cost $2.75 ONE way!!! It was a very easy drive.

There is a Publix grocery store about 5 - 10 minutes away. I found a Super Wal-Mart about 15 minutes away. The prices were cheaper. We saved a lot of $$$ eating breakfast and lunch in the Condo.

The room was huge. We had a 2 bedroom Condo. All dishes, pans, etc are provided. There is a blender ( which really came in handy after the kids went to sleep!!!) There is a washer and dryer and 1 package of Tide, Clorox color bleach, and 2 fabric softener sheets were there. I am not sure if they replace those after you use them. They come and tidy the room 1 time during the week.

The staff was great. There are no "lifeguards" but there is staff working at the top and bottom of the slide. They were all very friendly. The slide closed at 5pm but later in the season it stays open until 7pm. The pool and hot tubs stay open unitl 10pm.

My husband and I did do the time share presentation (it lasted about 1 hour). They do not tie you down to the chairs and pressure you. We said no and she was fine with that.

They do have a baby sitting service called Pen Pals. We never paid for the service but my kids stayed there while we were in the presentation. It is a room right by the indoor playland and my kids loved it. I think they had 3 or 4 workers. They were all young and friendly. It think it cost $8 an hour for 1 child and slightly more for every other child.

I haven't found to many resorts that I would travel to again; but, we all loved this resort. I would highly recommend it to anyone!!!

I hope you find this review helpful and enjoy your trip!!

31 Thank lme89
Reviewed March 14, 2005

We stayed for two nights checking in on Jan 31 2005 (our reservation was for 7 nights but we checked out early) We did not find this resort to be very family friendly. To start off, there was work being done in the room next to us. So, for two days we listened to pounding all day. We did complain of the noise but we were told that there were notices all over the resort about hurricane shutters being installed. We did not observe one of these notices anywhere and the front desk was rude and defensive when we complained about the noise. Kids are not allowed in the hot tub, even though the literature in the room says as long as kids are with an adult it's ok. My son and I were in the hot tub, in fact we were the only ones in the entire pool area and an employee rudely told us to get out. We were informed that this is a new rule and no exceptions would be made. I spoke with the manager and explained what the literature said in the room and that we were the only ones at the pool - he basically responded too bad! You can't go down the water slide with your child, nor can you go down the lazy river with your child. You can't have a can of beer at the pool area. Too many employees walking around telling you what you can't do- not what they can do to make your stay enjoyable. We've stayed at many first class resorts and this place lacked the customer service. We left and went to a wonderful, kid friendly resort.

• Stayed January 2005
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 23, 2005
I am pleased to respond to the comments of the TripAdvisor member from Bemidji, MN regarding our resort that were posted on March 15th, 2005.

The guest was concerned with the construction work that was going on during one of the days of their stay. They are absolutely correct in saying that we are in the process of installing a state-of-the-art hurricane shutter system. This system was approved by the owners associaiton and is being funded by the developer of the resort. The installation is random based on available rooms, but we feel the work will be completed within the next 90 days. Work is done between 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., and each installation takes about four hours.

Regarding comments on hot tub usage, our resort, like many other 4-star resorts throughout the country, is extremely sensitive to health and safety issues, especially as it relates to young children who would like to use the hot tub. Our owners have decided that it is best to limit use of the hot tub to individuals 12 years of age or older and that rule is posted adjacent to the hot tub. We apologize if our staff did not explain this to the TripAdvisor member in a more professional manner.

Regarding the water slide, the rules for its usage are also posted and include that only one individual is allowed to go down the water slide at a time. This is another important safety issue and it is enforced by the attendant at the top of the water slide. The same general principal applies to our lazy river water amenity, which is available based on one person per iner tube.

Regarding beer in the pool area, beer can be either purchased at the adjacent tiki bar or brought to the pool deck area in a single, plastic container, or single, can only. Coolers are not allowed in the pool deck area.

We are extremely proud of our resort and appreciate the comments of TripAdvisor members on how we can improve the service that we provide to our owners and visitors.
Thank you, Launa Young, General Manager

Maine
Reviewed March 14, 2005

Oceanside units had a great view of the beach (3rd floor and above) and it was interesting to see the cruise boats coming and going all of the time. The pool, waterslide, and lazy river were great for our 10 year old. The food at the restaurant was very good and presentation was great. The service at the restaurant left a lot of be desired, but worth going because the food was so good. The beach was great, but the $20.00 they wanted to rent a beach chair for the day was ridiculous. Just go to Publix and buy a lounge chair for $12.00. Our son who is 21 liked the nightlife in Cocoa Beach. Except for a few oversites in the planning of the units, this was a great place to stay.

15 Thank onemagoo
Reviewed January 16, 2005

My family and I (18 people) stayed at this resort for 2 days in November, 2004. We wanted a nice place to stay and relax before going on our family cruise. We had 3-2 bedroom deluxe rooms. They were all very clean and decorated nicely. I was very impressed. Most people do not understand that this is a time share resort and you have to bring items such as coffee, shampoo, conditioner. They supply all the dishes, cups, towels etc. We had a pool view balcony. I think its better than an oceanview because the resort is very large and if you have an oceanview you are away from all the activities. Oceanview is great if you want total privacy. They have a shuttle that takes you down to the ocean. The pool is fabulous, lazy river, waterslide, jacuzzi, lots of fun for kids and adults. They have a poolside bar and restaurant. They had a band during the day and raggae music at night. The food was very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We met our cleaning lady. She was so outgoing and made it very clear that she would be happy to make our stay as best as she could. We had so much fun here most of us didn't even want to go on the cruise. No one approached us on the time share issues previously stated. Sandy Andrews is on the management team for this resort. I called her to let her know about some of the comments on Trip Advisor. She went on Trip advisor and decided to make some changes to the resort that she felt was necessary to keep visitors happy. For example; the pool closing early. She changed the pool times. I give her alot of credit. How many managers are willing to read the reviews and make immediate changes. She continues to post updates on the sight. I cannot think of any negative things to say about this resort. The only suggestion I can add is that a life guard at the pool would be helpful to families with small children. The resort is great!!!! I will go back.

• Stayed January 2005
29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 14, 2004

We stayed at the Ron Jon Cape Caribe resort from December 9-14 after a small jaunt to Disneyworld. This is an excellent family destination. Our children range in age from 4-12 and there were various activities ongoing to keep them busy. The pool area is fantastic with an awesome waterslide and a really fun lazy river. It was warm and we swam every day even though the locals probably thought we were a little crazy. But hey - we are from Canada and 69 is still warm enough for the pool in my opinion. The gentleman they have doing the magic shows, balloon animals and miming etc. is very talented. He made the most incredible princess crowns and minnie mouse balloons for our daughters and a bow and arrow for my son that actually worked. Very cool! The mini golf is fun for the kids and there is shuffleboard (just a short walk away). The beach is in walking distance and it is a beautiful clean beach right by Jetty Park There is an incredible kids indoor playground that rivals our local "Crash Crawlies" as the best indoor playground I have ever seen. My twins would have been happy to stay in there all day! The hot tub is huge and the perfect temperature!
They had activities scheduled but you had to sign up 24 hours in advance. I don't agree with this one! I think it should be on a drop in basis. Obviously we came at a quiet time of year but I would try to phone the activities department and inquire about signing up and no one would answer. I would leave a message and no one would call me back. This happened twice and after that I just didn't bother. The crafts should have just been available at that time for the few children that were there in my opinion.
This is a time share resort and through out our stay there were many people touring the resort and lots of salesman around. We were approached once and phoned once. The first night in our 1 bedroom suite (which was beautiful and well equipped - 4th floor with a nice view of the pool - balcony- nice size bathroom - full kitchen - washer dryer - easy access to stairs and elevator - very clean) we detected a very strong smell of cigerette smoke. I phoned downstairs to find out if we had been placed in a smoking room as I had requested a non-smoking room. Apparently they have a "voluntary no-smoking policy". In other words if you want to smoke you can. The actual policy states that they would appreciate it if you respected the other guests and smoked on the balcony and that ashtrays were not provided but you could ask for them. Well it sure smelled like everyone was smoking in the rooms. Yuck! For this reason alone I decided not to take the timeshare tour. I would not be interested in a timeshare in a "smoking" building.
The service was excellent at the front desk and the gentleman at equipment rental even remembered my kids room number as they were frequent visitors for equipment exchange. (volleyballs, basketballs, tennis racquets, shuffleboard equip., mini golf equip. etc).
At checkout they were experiencing some problems with the computer so I did not get a receipt. Hopefully everything works out in that area.
Overall an excellent stay and an awesome place for a family vacation. I highly recommend this excellent facility.

• Stayed November 2004
23 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 7, 2004

My wife & I took my mother for the week of Nov 1-7, 2004 (another story in & of itself). Let me start by saying the Cape Caribe is a place you don't need to leave unless you really want/need to. They have just about everything covered. We used the movie theatre 2-3 times, ate at the Reefside Grille 2-3 times also. Best hamburger & best steak sandwich I've had in a long, long time. The grandkids came over from Orlando & used the play room & the arcade area quite a bit. However, the biggest hit was definitely the pool area. Nice large pool area, along with a large hot tub. The lazy river & water slide were also alot of fun. You can stay in the main building, or the oceanside building. The advantage to the main building is the movie theatre, game room, play room, restaurant & so on. However, the oceanside building is only a 2-3 minute shuttle ride away, and the shuttle was available every time we wanted to use it. While we were there, there was an entertainer in the lobby making balloon animals for the kids. He was great. The room we stayed in was a 2-BR lockout that slept 10. Room was immaculate, and had multiple tv's with vcr/dvd combo machines. I read in some earlier reviews that the A/C was loud. They have apparently fixed this problem. The only (and I mean ONLY) thing I had to get over was the view driving in to the resort. You are right beside Port Canaveral. Wonderful for spotting ships, but you also have to look at many many fuel tanks. Very minor issue considering all this place has going for it. We toured the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge near NASA (very worthwhile), and got to watch a nightime rocket launch from our balcony (awesome). We took the 90-minute timeshare sales pitch, and I must admit it was the most low key, low pressure timeshare tour I've ever been on. Overall, if your're looking for a nice beach in a less crowded area, you can't go wrong at the Cape Caribe. We will be back again.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cape Canaveral
Homewood Suites by Hilton Cape Canaveral - Cocoa Beach
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Port Canaveral
Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
Residence Inn Cape Canaveral Cocoa Beach
Best Western Ocean Beach Hotel & Suites
La Quinta Inn & Suites Cocoa Beach Oceanfront

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral Beach Resort? Share your experiences!