“Excellent food and service on a busy night in the Bangla”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bangla lounge

Bangla lounge
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Birstall
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Leeds, England
“Excellent food and service on a busy night in the Bangla”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

Called into the Bangla Saturday night at 9 15 pm and the place was heaving but managed to get a table for 2.

Half of the restaurant was taken over with a birthday party of 24 people but yet the food arrived quickly and came piping hot, the staff were very busy but coped well with the volume of meals they had to get out.

The lamb Korai and the Tandoori chicken shashlik were delicious accompanied with a tasty Roti.

It's testament to how good the food is and how well the staff look after their customers that the Bangla always seems busy when we call in.

1 Thank WestYorkshirefella

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“40th BD Party - Excellent!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Party of 24, restaurant looked lovely and they had put up birthday banners and balloons on the tables. We all munched our way through piles of popadoms and pickles whilst orders were promptly taken. Food was excellent, all the party ordered individual meals - starters and mains. I don't know how the chefs did it but the meals for all the party came out together, hot, cooked fresh to order, all orders spot on. The mains order was immense what with all the meals, rice, nanns etc. Really impressed with the food and the staff. And to top it all of they had a surprise BD cake for the birthday boy. Excellent night, and good value for money too. The restaurant is not licensed so we all brought our own beer and wine, which is fine by us and keeps the costs down too.

2 Thank RuthieMB
Ashton-under-Lyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

First trip to this restaurant, the food was absolutely gorgeous. Very nice decor and atmosphere too. It was also very good value as it's not licenced so we brought our own wine. Sadly, I wont be going again because I was just passing through the area. I would recommend it to anyone though.

Liversedge, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

First visit to the Bangla Indian Restaurant in Birstall - very good food and service - couldn't fault it!
We shall definitely return. Great prices too!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“A wasted evening”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

It had been a busy and slightly trying week, so when a work colleague suggested dinner at the Bangla Lounge, I thought, what a cracking idea!!
It had been a while since I had satisfied my curried cravings, and having patronised Bangla on and off since it's inception in the tiny room up the road ( we used to call it the Curry Cupboard! ) I was looking forward immensely to the evening as it has always been excellent in the past.
We arrived at 8.30, having booked earlier in the afternoon, with our bottles of beer in hand.

Looking around we didn't see any of the usual team on duty....maybe the alarm bells should have sounds then?

Papadums were ordered and arrived whilst we perused the menu, eventually ordering our starters and mains. Somewhat strangely we had to ask for a bottle opener and glasses, as usually these arrive almost before we do.

Now, call me old fashioned, but to my mind, the business of running a restaurant normally involves the customer ordering the food, the order going to the kitchen, the chef cooking the food, and the waiters delivering it to the customer at the table for them to eat with some relish.
Somewhere along this chain of command there was a schism, as having waited......patiently.......as I am a mild mannered chap......for over an hour, nothing arrived.
Now, it was obvious that there hadn't been a coup in the kitchen, as all around us people who had been arriving for aeons after us were tucking into portions of starters and mains with some gusto.
More annoyingly, the young waiter who had been serving our area kept wandering past us with complete oblivion to the fact that everyone around us were getting fed, whilst we were sat staring at a completely uncluttered, but neatly pressed, pristine white tablecloth...
More fool you !! I hear you cry, why didn't you cry out " Where is my repast, must I perish in the midst of plenty ? "....... But by now the evening was waning, the initial anticipation of an excellent start to the weekend, garnished with a Bangla Curry now a distant memory.

As I said, I am a mild mannered chap, and so my annoyance was not in the realm of a capsicum infused vindaloo, but more of, say, a slightly irritated Sag Aloo.
I pointed out the none appearance of the food to the man I took to be the manager on duty, and suggested that they had another two minutes to produce our food, or I was out of there.

No further response, no food, no " I'm awfully sorry, there seems to be a problem " , so about 10 mins later we folded our pristine napkins, and took our leave of our table which was still completely uncontaminated by food.

I stopped at the counter on the way out, to pay for the poppadums that we had eaten sometime earlier in the day. There was a brief flutter of activity whilst the waiter focused on us and recognised us as the couple who had been slowly mummifying at table 13 ( yes, honest!), then a quick dash to the kitchen from where the duty manager suddenly appeared to apologise that the kitchen had "overlooked" our order.
To be fair, he did waive the cost of the pappadums and pickle tray.

So, not a satisfying evening after all... In fact, a complete waste, as I had travelled down from North Leeds in anticipation of the usual fine fare and had to drive back with a disappointed mood, and a grumbling belly.

Will I be back.? Probably not.Too many other good restaurants around that have staff that are a little more awake. Sorry.

Visited April 2014